Valve Brings Steam and Source to the Mac

Maybe once Steam comes to OSX and if what I say comes remotely true, maybe Apple will take note and make a desktop that is cheaper yet upgradeable by the consumer and their OSX is able to use whichever videocard you use then again this goes against their closed environment, and they'll more than likely see this as a plus for their sales as users will be more likely to notice that their system is obsolete when Apple releases a refresh of it the following year and that's when the consumer sells their old Mac and buys a new one.
This is pretty much what will happen. Turning the Mac into a gaming platform will force Apple to be price-competitive with Windows/PC systems. Otherwise, everyone who wants games that aren't made by Blizzard or developed in Flash can switch to Windows and get their hardware for comparatively half price, and Apple will lose the marketshare.

I was just on a mac site, and they had an article about this. I then scrolled down to read the comments and this is the first one that was posted:
I didn't know what steam or valve was. This is great news. Maybe Apple should buy this company so that google doesn't buy it and port it to android. This is precisely the kind of company that google would buy to deliberately kill just so apple couldn't have it and dominate the gaming industry.

yeah, its pretty bad. others called him out on it, but a few thought he might be right, and used this rumor to support it

I think that is good news in general. I prefer gaming on windows but I have family who uses Macs and this will give more incentive for developers to support both platforms imo.

CAN'T WAIT! FINALLY MY BIG HUGE MAC DESKTOP WILL BE OF USE! YAAAY! AND IN APRIL, WHICH IS NEXT MONTH! Maybe other devs will follow the example, and start releasing games for Mac!

Good for macs.

I'll still be happy with my forever supported Windows. Not like it hurts me at all.

Stop Flaming

Can you all PLEASE stop flaming the so-called "mac fanboys?" First of all, just because we like the Mac doesn't make us fanboys. Second of all, there ARE quite a few people who game on mac, as shown by the number of servers in Cod4 Mac and Halo Demo Mac. And this IS big news. Stop hatin'

Can you all PLEASE stop flaming the so-called "mac fanboys?" First of all, just because we like the Mac doesn't make us fanboys. Second of all, there ARE quite a few people who game on mac, as shown by the number of servers in Cod4 Mac and Halo Demo Mac. And this IS big news. Stop hatin'

There is a BIG difference between 'people who like the mac' and 'mac fanboys'. We are talking about the latter.

About ****ing time. Valve has lost a lot of dough by not doing this earlier.

I find it funny how windows users bash Mac users.

Even when I didnt have a Mac, I thought everytime ''A Mac is still a normal computer, just like yours, but has a different operating system and a superior build quality...and thats about it seeing as they use the same components that go into any other spec PC or laptop''.

Yeah PCs for gamers have better specs, woopty doo, your ego has been satisfied.

That's just really awesome. As long as they can have cross-multiplayer connections with Windows and Linux users, good for the people who use Mac.

Great news, though this will harm Crossover (and Wine) who probably make a significant amount of their income from supporting Valve games on Macs.

Great news, though this will harm Crossover (and Wine) who probably make a significant amount of their income from supporting Valve games on Macs.
That works like **** anyways I can tell you!

Yeah PCs for gamers have better specs, woopty doo, your ego has been satisfied.

This is rather fallacious. Only once or twice have I been compelled to tell anyone or share my computer specs, the good or the best. This has little to do with the actual argument towards Apple's inability to upgrade or the relative price of PC components as compared to Apples hardware.

Instead, the point is, for me and many others, we just want the game to work with a decent frame rate. It doesn't do anything for my ego. I just want to enjoy the game. And because I can do that (albeit at a cost) at least halfway up to speed of the rate of component releases with a PC at half the cost, the choice is obvious.

The first thing I think about when I see a new game coming out for the PC is the hardware requirements. It isn't uncommon that the highest specs are whats recommended. Its not unbelievable that those thought to be stroking their egos are just trying to play the latest games. This is, again, where Apple is all but excluded from the hardware struggle in my mind.

pc is not about hardware, but customization. you have an access to stuff you buy, you can edit them the way you like. I mean look at wonderful hl1/hl2 mods we can download (for free), and play on pc. can you play them on consoles? sadly, no. I can go back, and play any old game I want too.

It's a pretty silly article and plenty of commenters have pointed that out. From a non-technical perspective, it should be obvious it's kind of ridiculous (not to mention arrogant and condescending) to assert that professional game developers working on triple A budget games can't look past Microsoft marketing talk.

The multiplatform nature of OpenGL is a bit of a red herring and the article claiming that OpenGL allows you to easily play your games on any system imaginable is plain disingenuous. The Xbox 360 won't run it. The PS3 can run it, sort of, but slowly. The Wii can't run it. All it buys you is the OSX and Linux, but only for graphics, you still need something else for audio and that sort of thing. And OSX and Linux is a tiny fraction of the gaming market, when even Windows is too small these days for proper support for some developers. It surprises me that Valve takes this path but still ignores the PS3 which is a market that is orders of magnitudes larger.

I hope there's a linux version, as tbh Linux users have more computer and gaming orientated lives than mac users (why spend double the money for a mac when your principle use will be gaming)

I can just imagine it in the Ubuntu SPM and install utility ;)

It's a pretty silly article and plenty of commenters have pointed that out.

My opinion: Valve already has a working and optimized Source engine for DirectX Windows (the mainstream market), and logic dictates that they are going to keep it. Remember that XB360 can run DX, not OpenGL, and that hardware manufacturers optimize drivers mainly for DirectX. OpenGL will be for Mac only (and Linux?), I don't see the whole Source engine totally converted to OpenGL.

i bet 90% of mac haters are just on the bandwagon.

FUPCS.png

My opinion: Valve already has a working and optimized Source engine for DirectX Windows (the mainstream market), and logic dictates that they are going to keep it. Remember that XB360 can run DX, not OpenGL, and that hardware manufacturers optimize drivers mainly for DirectX. OpenGL will be for Mac only (and Linux?), I don't see the whole Source engine totally converted to OpenGL.

Yes, Source will use DirectX on Windows and Xbox360, further undermining the claim that OpenGL is superior as Valve would then surely ditch DirectX for Windows as it adds the headache of another rendering path (possibly three in the case of DX: DX9, DX10, DX11) and the driver incompatibilities that come with it.

I hope there's a linux version, as tbh Linux users have more computer and gaming orientated lives than mac users (why spend double the money for a mac when your principle use will be gaming)

I can just imagine it in the Ubuntu SPM and install utility ;)

The Linux community is too busy asperging out over what license stuff is released under for that to happen.

Yes, Source will use DirectX on Windows and Xbox360, further undermining the claim that OpenGL is superior as Valve would then surely ditch DirectX for Windows as it adds the headache of another rendering path (possibly three in the case of DX: DX9, DX10, DX11) and the driver incompatibilities that come with it.
I think they still support DX8 too.

So, does anyone know when Steam for Mac will be available for download? They said April... but when in April?

there's a beta test available

Valve released a press release about 2 weeks ago with a sign up the mac beta access for editors access among the press. Unfortunately the link has been leaked out a bit by some idiots. However I believe the closed access to the mac beta will be available in 2 or 3 days.

Back