Valve can suck my...

P

PhantomIII

.....cuban cigars that just arrived this morning.... because this is one hell of a game. :E

I've had the same crash issue's and memory errors everyone else has stated, but with the help of this forum I made the tweaks others have suggested that allow me to play for anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours without a crash and no stuttering (unless I manually do a savegame, then it briefly stutters as expected...).

The changes that made the most impact for my system was a heapsize of 512000, turning off all autosaves tweak, and increasing my page file to 3 gigs. Having the same desktop resolution as the game runs in also seemd to help. I also disabled fast-writes in the bios although this made no difference I could tell. I also did the no background tweak so the game starts up fast and I can get right into loading my last savegame.... Having a lot of savegames really slowed down the time to bring up the savegame menu so I deleted a bunch of old ones, now it works good.

I run the game at 1024x728 at the recommended performance levels (with is everything set to high, water to reflect world, and with sound quality set to medium. 4x AA and 8X AF) It runs very smooth, I think I could up the resolution if I wanted but I don't want to chance more crashes and memory errors... I'm having to much fun playing the game as is... .Load times don't seem that long to me....doom3's are longer.

My spec's
Abit NF-S ver2.0
AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ speed
1 gig corsair XMS 2-2-2-5 with fsb @ stock 200mhz
6800 GT 256MB @ stock (leadtek brand with a big fat heatsink on it)
WD 120gig sata drive
Antec true380 power supply
onboard sound
WinXP Pro SP1

DirectX 9.0C
Latest Forceware drivers
Latest Nvidia display drivers
Latest bios for my motherboard

Playing HL2 in offline mode, I do not have the patch applied yet.

I was just as frusterated as some of you were.... but I can say it was worth all the hellish crashes, config issues, and errors to finally get it working. My favorite part of the game so far is when I knocked this dude over a railing to his death while I was on the crane guiding this gigantic metal shipping crate at him...

Metal Shipping Crate of Death.....coming your way...... boooom!!!..... ahhhhhhhhh.!!!!!....splat.... (It was priceless....)

Hope this helps someone out there.... :cheers:

Hooray!!!

A thread that is actually meant to help people and NOT bash Valve or Half-Life 2.

Cheers. :cheers:

Heh, I saw the thread title and headed over here with the ban stick.

Nice post :)

More chance of winning the lottery than geting this game to work :p hmmm that's stuiped the odds of winning the lottery are less.....

Leonardo1 said:
More chance of winning the lottery than geting this game to work :p hmmm that's stuiped the odds of winning the lottery are less.....

I guess I'm due to win the lottery then. At least 5 times this week.

Back