Valve Extends Educational Support for iD Tech

Pikminiman

Assistant Writer
Reaction score
Back in June 2012, Valve first announced “Teaching With Portals,” which was part of a U.S. Department of Education initiative to push electronic teaching methods into schools. Among the DoED’s partners for this endeavor was Valve (then called Valve Software), who offered up Portal 2 and its puzzle creator/editor to help practically illustrate parabolic and harmonic motion.

Though it isn’t directly related to the “Teaching With Portals” initiative, Valve have also had a hand in supporting iD Tech (no affiliation with iD Software), “the leading summer STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program for ages 7-18 held at over 80 universities nationwide.” The program uses example and project-based learning to help students understand firsthand how a hobby such as gaming can manifest in the real world as a career in design or production.

iDTechValve.PNG
About iD Tech, as per a press email from Doug Lombardi:
iD Tech began its initiative 16 years ago, and has been working with Valve for the past nine years. Last year over 36,000 students attended with over 200,000 total since 1999.

As Valve and iD Tech prepare for the upcoming season, Valve has expanded its support for the program with Steam accounts, Valve games, and the Source SDK for students attending iD Tech.

"The purpose of our program is to help students prepare for a career in one of the largest growing fields in the world," said Pete Ingram-Cauchi, CEO at iD Tech. "The support Valve has provided over the years is a tremendous value to the program and our students."

You can visit the iD Tech website by clicking here. As always, we’ll be sure to keep you up-to-date with all of Valve’s latest pursuits, both educational and recreational.

Interesting. I'm still interested to see if Valve will pursue that whole "Steam in Schools" intiative they started with Portal 2 by adding more games. Team Fortress 2 could teach kids about the fundamentals of economics and Dota 2 could help them learn multiple languages.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm still interested to see if Valve will pursue that whole "Steam in Schools" inative they started with Portal 2 by adding more games. Team Fortress 2 could teach kids about the fundamentals of economics and Dota 2 could help them learn multiple languages.
This is one of those forum posts where I very seriously cannot tell if it's meant as a 100% serious post, or if it's a joke. I get the feeling it's a bit of both. Either way, I lol'd.

Interesting. I'm still interested to see if Valve will pursue that whole "Steam in Schools" inative they started with Portal 2 by adding more games. Team Fortress 2 could teach kids about the fundamentals of economics and Dota 2 could help them learn multiple languages.
And remember, Half-Life teaches the ultimate life lesson: disappointment.

This is one of those forum posts where I very seriously cannot tell if it's meant as a 100% serious post, or if it's a joke. I get the feeling it's a bit of both. Either way, I lol'd.

More or less a joke. While I'm sure Valve could figure out a way for TF2 to teach basic economic skills, the most language learning you'll probably get out of Dota 2 is the word cyka.
(Cyka is russian for Bitch)
Still, it's fulfilling to know I mastered the art of subtlety!

Why US only ? ;_____; AND Y U SO EXPENSIV ???? ;_______________________;

I guess I have to stay in my basement LAIR of shameful HL fan- stories, concept arts and OTPs, and try not to burn my whole house trying to modify my PC, so it could handle SFM without crashing. Hip, hip, hooray for nerd-ism !

tumblr_lrdggtk9bu1r047dg.gif

Back