Valve: No PS Move or 3D support in Portal 2; hints at Portal 3

Lanthanide

Reaction score
This is mostly what it says in the thread title. Doug Lombardi has ruled out 3D and PlayStation move support in Portal 2, and says it will have to wait for Portal 3 or another title.

I am in no way saying that this is Valve saying Portal 3 is going to happen, but the fact that he specifically chose to say "Portal 3" instead of simply "another title" is at least a nudge in the direction that Valve are at least thinking about Portal 3 - whether it ever gets made is another issue, of course.

EDIT: Turns out this post is from 30th of July last year, or only a couple of months after Portal 2 was first announced. Still, useful info.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...PlayStation-Move-or-3D-Support-Until-Portal-3

I would think it more likely that Lombardi was referring to the likelihood of 3D support anytime soon, rather than indirectly announcing Portal 3.

On the 'Move' side however, Valve supports the use of the Novint Falcon Controller for most of their original Orange Box games for PC. Hilariously, this device seems like an original concept, and not something constructed quickly and with poor support, solely to eat into the marketshare that Nintendo created with their Wii.

On the 'Move' side however, Valve supports the use of the Novint Falcon Controller for most of their original Orange Box games for PC. Hilariously, this device seems like an original concept, and not something constructed quickly and with poor support, solely to eat into the marketshare that Nintendo created with their Wii.

Have you seen this?

I've seen both the Novint Falcon (seeing as I included a link to the article discussing it), and I have also read another article from crunchgear.com which agrees with my view that the Playstation Move (as well as Microsoft's Kinect) are attempting to muscle-in on Nintendo's newly-found market.

So, though you quoted two of my points, the answer is a singular "yes". =)

That's not the novint falcon. Did you click the link?

I'm not talking about your link. I'm talking about sixteenth's.

Ah, I see what you mean Acepilot. And his link seems to work now.

I see what you mean Sixteenth - this is pretty much a Wii clone interface for the PC. But third parties will always make this kind of thing to cash in on a market, even if it boasts no improvement for anyone apart for the company's (in this case Razer's) bank balance. This is especially true cross-platform: think of how many Playstation-like controllers came out when the PS2 was at it's peak!

What I find really shocking however is now major games console manufacturers seem to think that they can do the same from each other. Playstation and Microsoft chose their distinct avenues for console 'warfare', and they should have stuck to them. Now, all they've successfully done is create systems that encourage shoddy, broken mechanics that are tacked on to games that were never designed to implement either interface, to help Sony and M$ shift more units. Killzone 3 a prime example of this with the Move system.

Considering how on-the-mark Valve are on everything, I think it's both a bold statement to choose non-inclusion, and the better one to have chosen for now. In my, considerably noobish opinion, anyway.

Back