Valve Partners With HTC To Create "HTC Vive" VR Headset

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a day earlier than expected, but hardware manufacturer HTC have just announced the "HTC Vive", a virtual reality headset developed in a partnership between HTC and Valve. The headset, shown below, is fully compatible with Valve's SteamVR program and features hand and motion tracking in a 15 feet by 15 feet space through the use of a "base station" and a pair of ergonomic wireless controllers, one held in either hand.

htcvive.jpg

According to the headset's official website, the device features a 90hz refresh rate, a 1200x1080 per eye resolution, 360 degree motion tracking, and a "room scale experience", allowing the user to freely move around while wearing the headset without feeling sick or tired over long periods of time. As usual with Valve, a number of software partners for the headset have already been working with the device, including game developers such as Bossa Studios, Cloudhead Games, Fireproof Games, and more.

HTC are reporting that a developer kit for the HTC Vive will be released sometime in the Spring in order to help get software ready for the device's launch in Holiday 2015 (likely November or December). No details regarding how the device will be sold or how much it will retail for has currently been announced, but getting a consumer-ready model out of the door at a reasonable price point is likely a top priority for both Valve and HTC. With GDC 2015 starting tomorrow and Chet Faliszek's EGX Rezzed talk taking place just one week later, it's quite possible we'll hear more from Valve's team regarding the project in the coming few days, so stay tuned!

Last edited:

The idea of Valve doing a VR headset didn't excite me that much, (it did excite me, but we're seeing various companies do it now) but to see it being done in partnership with HTC is pretty damn exciting.

I'm glad valve when for the market that VR will be able to standout in the most (freedom of monument around a room). I just hope they have a system that will tell you if you are about to crash into walls (and that it will actually release this holiday and not in the holiday of 3015).

I hope I'm not putting coal in the hype train, but I honestly think that Chet will be showing off a game at EGX Rezzed. It's a show for game developers (not hardware manufacturers), all the other developers are showing off specific games and the EGX Rezzed site has not been updated saying that Chet is showing off the HTC Vive.

On a more related note, I'm glad to see Valve's vision for VR is being realized and that it will be commercially available this year.

I hope I'm not putting coal in the hype train, but I honestly think that Chet will be showing off a game at EGX Rezzed. It's a show for game developers (not hardware manufacturers), all the other developers are showing off specific games and the EGX Rezzed site has not been updated saying that Chet is showing off the HTC Vive.
Chet has spoken about all kinds of topics at EGX events in the past, including how to get into the games industry. EGX Rezzed is far from a big event, it's just the smaller brother of regular EGX (which itself isn't even "that" big) so it's not exactly the best place to start talking about a brand new game.

I'm sure VR will be a standard thing in the future/near future.

For now, however, I can't say this is something that speaks to me. Or the steam Machines for that matter. Maybe the Steam Controller...

Chet has spoken about all kinds of topics at EGX events in the past, including how to get into the games industry. EGX Rezzed is far from a big event, it's just the smaller brother of regular EGX (which itself isn't even "that" big) so it's not exactly the best place to start talking about a brand new game.

not sure, why you remember Valve to announce games with a big key note at E3 or Gamescom or even an own special event like the console players Sony and MS do it regularly. The closest thing to that marketing hobo stuff might be the presentation of Portal 2 within Sony's E3 event (guess it was E3). Gabe went on stage and spoke about the game for some minutes, but that was it. No own big Valve event or key note.

If or when Valve will announce or show off a new game even within that itty bitty tiny EGX session, the interwebs will explode. And if its HL3, it'll be an Atomic bomb within the games news. It doesn't depend on if the event or place is big or not. They could make a poster announcement about HL3, put it into a university restroom and that would be enough to make the whole gaming world know about the new game within one or two days.
Also, there's still a probability that they pull off such a new game announcement within the glNext session. Imo they demonstrate at least the new Source engine, now what content do they show? Maybe some reworked old game stuff, some tech demo or...a new game. Valve - at the end of the day - must have a reason to develop a new game engine.

I like to imagine that Valve is giving the bitter finger to Oculus Rift for becoming independent, since HTC is going to crush Oculus because of it's gaint bundle of cash they can spend on public exposure.

This is so cool! I will be completely satisfied if all we get out of GDC this year from Valve is more demos of this headset in action, anything else will probably make me explode with excitement.

If Valve and HTC manage to release this headset before Oculus and at the right price, they have the chance of dominating the VR space. Makes me wonder if Valve approached any other hardware manufactures with this concept, if they turned down any of them, and why they decided to go with HTC.

I'd be more interested in a standard VR API than another headset. The last thing VR needs is a pissing contest between rival manufacturers, each with their own way of implementing things.
I think this is what SteamVR is (a suite of tools), and Vive is built on top of that. I think Vive will be one of many HMDs built around SteamVR, kind of like having many PCs built around SteamOS.

The first Burning Flames Vive will go for millions!

I think this is what SteamVR is (a suite of tools), and Vive is built on top of that. I think Vive will be one of many HMDs built around SteamVR, kind of like having many PCs built around SteamOS.

SteamVR isn't an API, though. Developers don't want to have to make two different versions of their game for competing VR standards. We don't want another Direct3D/OpenGL 'competition'
Also bear in mind that some publishers aren't big fans of Steam (hi, EA!) and it all starts getting complicated.

I wonder how Valve's work on OpenGL might tie into a VR API

Thanks for posting that @tomemozok, I was just coming here to do the same myself.

Chet's talk is titled "Virtual Reality in 2015".
http://www.egx.net/rezzed/2015/sessions

Personally, I think you're still expecting too much if you want to see Source 2 up and running during his talk. It'll be a basic PowerPoint presentation showing his feelings and experiences throughout the development of SteamVR.

Thanks for posting that @tomemozok, I was just coming here to do the same myself.

Chet's talk is titled "Virtual Reality in 2015".
http://www.egx.net/rezzed/2015/sessions

Personally, I think you're still expecting too much if you want to see Source 2 up and running during his talk. It'll be a basic PowerPoint presentation showing his feelings and experiences throughout the development of SteamVR.

MOTHER****ER.

MOTHER****ER.
Let's be honest here - anyone who thought Chet would be talking about Source 2, Left 4 Dead 3, or Half-Life 3 either made that idea up themselves or was told to believe so by a third party. I've been warning people for months to not get their expectations up for no reason, and now look what's happened.

Chet and Valve never even suggested the talk would revolve around anything particular until just now, so you only have yourself (and whoever you might have listened to) to blame. If you did listen to someone, feel free to point the finger at them instead and ask why you believed them in the first place.

The real question is.. Can you still use the HTC VR while sitting down with a keyboard and a mouse? I don't have the space, nor the desire to be jumping around after working all day so I can play a VR ready game.

I really don't understand all this excitement about excessive movement while playing a particular game. For me gaming is a form of relaxing and enjoyment. I move enough in the real world, now I have to move in the virtual too?! Madness!

But on a serious note does anyone know if it would be possible to use VR the conventional way? I can't seem to find information about this anywhere.

Please excuse my spelling errors if any.

The real question is.. Can you still use the HTC VR while sitting down with a keyboard and a mouse? I don't have the space, nor the desire to be jumping around after working all day so I can play a VR ready game.
Sure, I don't see why not. It'll likely depend on the game (some games will require you to use the special controllers), and I imagine ones that aren't focused on using virtual reality as a central game mechanic will, or should, have adjustable control setups.

Team Fortress 2 currently supports a number of different VR camera control options, letting the player remain relatively motionless at their desk if they just want to play with the regular mouse and keyboard. Alternatively, you can also activate a variety of head-controlled view options, letting you look around in real-time and to kind of tailor the experience to the way you want to play at any given moment.

the exact description:
Chet Faliszek talks about what Valve has learned from working internally and with outside developers using SteamVR as we all look towards creating content for 2015 and beyond.

believe it or not, it's still at least possible that Valve software related stuff will be shown - just read without the last part of sentence.

Chet Faliszek talks about what Valve has learned from working internally and with outside developers using SteamVR.

Sure, I don't see why not. It'll likely depend on the game (some games will require you to use the special controllers), and I imagine ones that aren't focused on using virtual reality as a central game mechanic will, or should, have adjustable control setups.

Team Fortress 2 currently supports a number of different VR camera control options, letting the player remain relatively motionless at their desk if they just want to play with the regular mouse and keyboard. Alternatively, you can also activate a variety of head-controlled view options, letting you look around in real-time and to kind of tailor the experience to the way you want to play at any given moment.

The perfect combo for me would be full headtracking plus the mouse and keyboard while remaining seated. Thanks for clearing that up.

believe it or not, it's still at least possible that Valve software related stuff will be shown - just read without the last part of sentence.
The HTC Vive IS Valve's technology, it's just being manufactured and sold by HTC. Chet will likely discuss technological constraints and requirements discovered during the development of the Vive given VR is a relatively new field where rules are still being written.

Example: The need for a high, consistent frame rates, high resolution screens, and a light, comfortable design.

The HTC Vive IS Valve's technology, it's just being manufactured and sold by HTC.
I don't think anyone doubts that it's Valve technology and Chet's talk will be Valve-related.
I'm pretty sure what the guy meant is Valve software (software developed by Valve), not Valve Software, the company.

^^that's why I wrote "possible", I also don't think they will present the new engine or a new game within that "event". My guess is still that they show the new engine within the glNext presentation. At the end of the day that would make the most sense of all sessions Valve takes part in at GDC this year.

The latest I-net bubble is about that 3/3 at 3pm thing, imo once more a fools prank by Valve to get onto the "HL3 confirmed" rumor train. That session is held by only one Valve programmer, it's a tech talk programming tutorial and tied into a series of tutorials where people actually want to learn something.

The latest I-net bubble is about that 3/3 at 3pm thing, imo once more a fools prank by Valve to get onto the "HL3 confirmed" rumor train. That session is held by only one Valve programmer, it's a tech talk programming tutorial and tied into a series of tutorials where people actually want to learn something.
I just hope people spouting that 333 thing realises that Valve doesn't control GDC or their schedule, so it's just a coincidence people are looking way too far into? (As usual)

I don't think anyone doubts that it's Valve technology and Chet's talk will be Valve-related.
I'm pretty sure what the guy meant is Valve software (software developed by Valve), not Valve Software, the company.

^^ye, I meant software developed by Valve. While it's not very probable that they show really a new game within the EGX event, I also don't think Chet just talks only the "dry" hardware, I mean that would be something like a university class where you might fall asleep from listening. This thing has a display (respectively two) and I think they will show something which will be later be content for the display - whatever that might be.

Shit's gettin weird on the net, folks... people whispering strangeness in the shadows.

@Omnomnick Im expecting for them to talk about kronos and how they integrated it with source 2 tbh. And the physix talk should be about how they solved physx with source 2. So there is that to look forward to.

@Omnomnick Im expecting for them to talk about kronos and how they integrated it with source 2 tbh. And the physix talk should be about how they solved physx with source 2. So there is that to look forward to.
It's actually quite likely Source 2 will be brought up in a few of the talks, but it's not exactly clear how important or significant the shared information will be. It's a lot LESS likely that we'll see anything resembling a new game at GDC 2015.

People getting excited about the release date for the Vive being this year.

These people do not remember 2003.

2003 was a dark year, HL2's leak controversy still echoes somewhere....

But back to the topic ( kinda );

I'm disappointed only for the missed opportunity of having a small announcement, turned into an "atomic blast". That could have been fun. :p Even then, I think that something Source 2 related might pop up. Might, but not necessarily will. I'm fine with the small amount of info we already have ... for now. In contrast to VR tech, I am really excited about S2 and its possibilities, and "can't wait" for any news about it... but I don't want to wait an entire year to hear that S2 is X, or Y, and just that. u__u

Anyway, HTC and Valve are a nice combo, I have to admit. According to many gaming sites, playing while sitting would be available, and really.... I think it should be a standard when it comes to VR stuff. Who knows what kinds of accidents might happen ? :rolleyes:

Also HTC stands for Half-life Three Confirmed. Hehe.

People getting excited about the release date for the Vive being this year.

These people do not remember 2003.

I don't know, it will be pretty hard to leak a VR Headset through an e-mail exploit. Though they really should give the hacker who manages to pull that off an actual job at Valve...

Let's be honest here - anyone who thought Chet would be talking about Source 2, Left 4 Dead 3, or Half-Life 3 either made that idea up themselves or was told to believe so by a third party. I've been warning people for months to not get their expectations up for no reason, and now look what's happened.

Chet and Valve never even suggested the talk would revolve around anything particular until just now, so you only have yourself (and whoever you might have listened to) to blame. If you did listen to someone, feel free to point the finger at them instead and ask why you believed them in the first place.

I never thought that Half-Life 3, Source 2, etc. would be at the conference, but that doesn't mean I didn't want them to be there so, so bad.

Yeah, it's been a long time but Chet confirmed to me that can be played sitting

https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/625555717232029697

Back