Valve Wins!!

Deemo

Reaction score
This just in from steampowered.com!

Valve today announced the U.S. Federal District Court in Seattle, WA granted its motion for summary judgment on the matters of Cyber Café Rights and Contractual Limitation of Liability in its copyright infringement suit with Sierra/Vivendi Universal Games. Click here to read the judge's order.

Go VALVe!!

also, this is the best place i could stick this i dindt know where else to put it :p

O.K., can someone translate the lawyer speak? What does all this mean, exactly? I tried reading the judge's order, but it was incomprehensible.

Yay!... I thank CSnation for this news first.

It means Vivendi got pwned by Valve so it must be a good thing.

hey guys, i read the outcome of judges orders and this is the only BIG things i could see.

(3) The Court finds that it can now determine the respective rights and obligations of the parties under the SPA with respect to cyber-café distribution. The Court finds that there are no disputes as to any material facts, and based on the undisputed facts and applicable law, Sierra/Vivendi, and their affiliates, are not authorized to distribute (directly or indirectly) Valve games through cyber-cafés to end-users for pay-for-play activities pursuant to the parties’ 2001 Agreement.

even though vivendi publishes the games they have no right to sell valve's games through the cafe network for pay-for-play activities. meaning they can't get cash for valve's games being sold on those cafes.

Plaintiff’s claims for copyright infringement are not “under or in connection with” the 2001 Agreement and the limitation on liability provision contained in paragraph 8.2 of the 2001 Agreement does not apply. Plaintiff may recover copyright damages for any infringement as allowed by law.

this means that by some way vivendi/sierra broke some kind of copyright law with valve and will be totally dicked after valve gets their money esp. from copyright infringement.

The limitation of liability provision, contained in paragraph 8.2 of the 2001 Agreement, shall apply to all of Plaintiff’s claims for breach of the 2001 Agreement. Plaintiff may recover any general damages for breach of the 2001 Agreement. The general measure of damages for breach of contract entitles the injured party (a) to recovery of all damages that accrue naturally from the breach, and (b) to be put into as good a position pecuniarily as it would have been had the contract been performed.

this again is HUGE for valve in that vivendi broke contract and will be sued for this also.

all in all a great day for valve in the courtroom esp. w/ the copyright infringement, breach of contract, and the stoppage of unautiorized use of cyber cafes by vivendi. if you have stock in vivendi i'd advise selling because the amoun of money they are going to owe valve for all of this is HUGGGEEEEE.!!!!!!!!! GO VALVE !!!!!!!!

I wonder how the innocent peons at Vivendi feel about the whole shitty situation?

so CS:S will come to cybercafes now?

in my country are not cybercafes whit CS:S

Free Legal Translations by -=AutoPilot=-:

Count I

Vivendi cannot distribute Valve Games to Cyber-Café’s. (but Valve can)

Count II

Vivendi violated Valves copyright. And owes them money....

Vivendi breached the contract (did things they weren’t supposed to) and owes money to Valve for doing so (but the amount is limited to actual losses, and not inflated ones). The amount owed is the amount Valve would have gotten if Vivendi hadn’t breached the contract.

-=AutoPilot=-

P.S. > don't worry about the financial situation over at Vivendi, they are doing quite well....

>Vivendi Universal Reports Quarterly Operating Results in Strong Progress And Raises its Full Year Adjusted Net Income Guidance to above €1.2 billion<

Back