Valve Working on Native Linux version of Steam and Source Engine

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[box=right]
9130-ecec7077239df7e0844e34c056213bd6.jpg
Penguin fans rejoice![/box]
Michael Larabel has posted on Phoronix about his recent visit to Valve. You may remember we posted details of an e-mail he received from Gabe.

Since then, Michael has suggested some Linux developers, one of which who has been hired and another who is currently going through the recruitment process. Even more interesting is the news that Michael has himself visited Valve.
[box=left]penguinfansrejoice.jpg
Left 4 Dead 2. Ubuntu Edition.[/box]
The most interesting part, however, is that Michael himself has seen what Valve are working on.
Valve are indeed working on a Linux native Steam client and Source engine. This is not some sort of "fake" emulation with WINE or similar. This is the real deal. There is a small Linux team (now growing) with even Gabe himself working on it.​
"It has taken longer than most anyone would have anticipated, but the fact remains that Valve is in fact creating a native Linux port of their Steam game distribution client and of the Source Engine to run natively on Linux. Phoronix broke this story, i.e. in 2010 when announcing Valve's officially releasing Steam and the Source Engine for Linux. Unfortunately, it has taken longer for a variety of reasons, which led some gamers to think this was some Phoronix joke or that the information was inaccurate. It was not. Valve's Linux work is finally soon to see the light of day in what will more than likely be the coming months."
To read more about Michael's experiences, head on over to Phoronix.[prbreak][/prbreak]​

Attachments

• Clues-of-Steam-on-Linux-found-in-Mac-OS-X-beta.jpg
    Clues-of-Steam-on-Linux-found-in-Mac-OS-X-beta.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 451
Aside from the whole Linux thing, I think one of the really interesting things here is that Gabe is in the Linux cabal. I was never sure whether he actually still coded or just handled the business side now.

Aside from the whole Linux thing, I think one of the really interesting things here is that Gabe is in the Linux cabal. I was never sure whether he actually still coded or just handled the business side now.
Thank you for submitting this to us, by the way.

With Windows 8 appearing to be a closed OS and Apple being Apple, it seems like Linux is the future of PC gaming.

With Windows 8 appearing to be a closed OS and Apple being Apple, it seems like Linux is the future of PC gaming.
I don't think so. Linux is really annoying. I had huge problems with 5.1 sound on it.
Windows is future of PC gaming and it won't change soon. Many games uses DirectX which are not available for Linux (of course).

In what way is Windows 8 appearing to be a "closed OS"?

After re-reading about Windows 8, it seems my concerns are only relevant to locked ARM processors. :V

I still say Linux is the future though.

Is anyone actually interested in upgrading to Windows 8? That metro-style tile layout irritates me beyond belief and Windows 7 seems fine?

Really glad about the linux confirmation. As Valve continue to build Source to work on other OS's, it reaffirms the fact that Source is here to stay for a while longer. I don't want anyone using 'Source 2' in this community anymore!

Yeah Glenn, I'm not planning on changing to 8 if Microsoft pay me (well, I might if they pay me enough).

You don't suppose that porting the presumably new Source engine is responsible for some of the wait time for Episode 3? Not that there's anything wrong with that, just curious.

I too am looking forward to this Linux port for a number of reasons not all of which are related to 'Windows-b-gone' (although that's near the top of the list).

You know, Linux would be the perfect OS for a Steambox...

It sure would be. I can imagine it being a glorified Steam platform all by itself.
You boot up into Steam, check your friends list, start playing games.
And of course they would have web capabilities there too for internet browsing.(actually that's build into Steam now...hmm)

That said, Windows > OSX > Linux

Back