Video card died. I think?

Dev

Reaction score
Here's the story. I had fallout 3 loaded up, walked a way for a moment and came back to screen showing all black with some glitchy blocks in the bottom right of the screen. I pressed the restart button and the motherboard splash screen came up and had all these vertical lines all over it, then when it got to the windows loading screen and it had a whole bunch of vertical lines again in a different pattern. After the windows loading screen, the computer would just auto-restart. So after re-seating just about everything (video card, ram, cables etc), and dusting, I tried to boot it up, but it showed the same vertical lines in the same pattern on the boot-up screens, then restarts.

So, I loaded it up in safe mode, went to my control panel, and disabled the video card. I restarted it normally and it made it to my desktop and it looks fine now, no lines. (still has the vertical lines on the start-up screens though)

So, is my video card dead or partially dead? because its obviously still outputting to my monitor. My desktop looks fine on my native resolution. When I scroll down or move a window its all choppy and I can't play games, but that's obviously because I have the video card disabled.

Anyway, hopefully someone can make sense of this. I'm assuming the video card is just ****ed up and I need another one.

remove it from your pc and the lines should go away.

Right, I think it's dead.

I don't mind the lines on the start up since the desktop is fine. If I removed it I wouldn't have anywhere to plug in my monitor.

I don't mind the lines on the start up since the desktop is fine. If I removed it I wouldn't have anywhere to plug in my monitor.

don't you have onboard graphics that you can fall back to?

When my video card died, I left it in the computer for like 8 months. Finally I removed it and used onboard, and suddenly my general graphics processing was fast as hell.

What I'm saying is - if you don't have to use it, don't.

I don't have a monitor output on the board

Back