Vista 64 bit

DreamThrall

Reaction score
Has anyone tried installing this lately? Is it still as much of a pain as I heard it was a year ago?

....no. Never was except for disabling of UAC. Installs faster than XP for me.

Using it now with absolutely no troubles so far....

Never had any problems with mine either.

Installs faster than XP for me.

I'm using it and I dont have any problems with it, except for this. It installed slower than molasses for me. But thats a one time thing, so whatever.

Thanks guys, good to know. My boss might be allowing me to design my own box... well he's already designed one that's pretty sweet, but we've gotta get the netops guys to sign off on it.

I'm using it and I dont have any problems with it, except for this. It installed slower than molasses for me. But thats a one time thing, so whatever.

same for me, and that dlink drivers for my network card were crappy so i had to go to third party drivers. other then that its really fast.

A lot easier to install than XP in my experience. Much prefer it.

No clue what the hell you're talking about is what. Seems to be another topic.

Sorry... i was asking about Vista 64 because the box my boss designed has 8 GB ram, which obviously would be useless on a 32 bit box... but I'd heard horror stories about driver compatibility and such with 64 bit windows, so I was asking about peoples' recent experiences with it...

and by "box" i mean "computer"

And by "computer" he means a cardboard box with computer components jumbling around inside.

and by "cardboard box with computer components jumbling around inside" i mean lesbian.

Thanks guys, good to know. My boss might be allowing me to design my own box... well he's already designed one that's pretty sweet, but we've gotta get the netops guys to sign off on it.

what what?

No clue what the hell you're talking about is what. Seems to be another topic.

Sorry... i was asking about Vista 64 because the box my boss designed has 8 GB ram, which obviously would be useless on a 32 bit box... but I'd heard horror stories about driver compatibility and such with 64 bit windows, so I was asking about peoples' recent experiences with it...

and by "box" i mean "computer"
boxestx2.gif

Do you have a tablet or do you do all that with a mouse Vegeta? o_O

funny comic

On topic, I have Vista 64 bit since last year on my computer and never had any problem. The only thing I can't install is my palm because palm are too lazy to make a 64 bit driver. If you're still not sure go on manufacturer website and look for 64 bit driver availability. Having 8 gb of ram will be cool, what are you gonna do with this computer ?

honestly, i'm not sure i really need 8GB RAM. I use it for ASP.NET development... I guess with 8GM I could run a VM or two if I needed. Also... because I can? When you can get 8GB for $160, and the OS supports it... why the hell not?

honestly, i'm not sure i really need 8GB RAM. I use it for ASP.NET development... I guess with 8GM I could run a VM or two if I needed. Also... because I can? When you can get 8GB for $160, and the OS supports it... why the hell not?

vista uses about 1 gig on idle with everything default, so why not :D

My laptop ran it on 512MB of total RAM. I'm not sure how much it was using, though it was Vista Basic. That will be a big difference from Vista Ultimate.

That's not even true.

My laptop ran it on 512MB of total RAM. I'm not sure how much it was using, though it was Vista Basic. That will be a big difference from Vista Ultimate.

then why is mine right when i installed it? its vista ultimate retail edition.

I think what Vista uses depends on what is available. The more RAM that's available, the more stuff it'll keep cached in memory... but if you've only got 1GB, it's not going to hog it all.

ya vista basic doesn't use much as the other versions of vista, alot of the features arent in it.

more memory for programs you actually want to run :D

^ That's all fine and dandy only if you run 32 bit hardware or less than 3 gb of ram.

Back