Wallshooting and you

leadfish

Reaction score
With the drastic reduction of wallshooting in CS:S, how do you think this will effect DoD? I think wallshooting is a great thing and is a great tool against corner campers etc personally, and if it's not effective anymore, it'll certainly force me to change the way I play.

What are your thoughts re: wallshooting and it's place in DoD?

Wallshooting is one the greatest gameplay elements of CS and DoD.

It's one of those features that the best of the best can master. It's something that keeps you coming back to the game again and again to try and lay some sweet headshots through walls.

I love it.

Wallshooting is also very cheap in itself. Its the easiest element to use.

Wallshooting is brilliant, its what makes Dod, Dod.
Removing that is like removing the physics system from Source.

i use wall shooting when im sniping and i see another snipers gun but not the person so i shoot where their body should be. they should keep it how they have now because its just right

I've only ever used Wallshooting when someone darts around a corner after I've pumped 2-3 bullets into them.

I don't like it but I dont mind.
But it should be restricted to MGs mostly. And maybe some other guns for specific thin walls...

I absolutely never wall-shoot.

NEVER. It's cheap, and frustrating to be killed that way. Besides, I like a little challenge in a game full of newbies. I love how people with better scores than me simply because they've found all the exploits of the game call me a newbie. Freaks don't realize I was playing beta 1, and making stupid Tom Green skins and shit for the player models.

Long live beta 3 of CS.

Wait. Consider the realism. A BAR can simple punch through any common building interior wall, and light concrete walls. Its not exploiting, its using whats available to you. Hell in the dod updates they explicitly detail the % of wall penetration for bullets depending on the weapon.

Another great thing I like about DoD is that you can friggin kill people in 1-3 shots unlike CS where you can stand face to face at times and unload a whole clip.

Glo-Boy said:

NEVER. It's cheap, and frustrating to be killed that way. Besides, I like a little challenge in a game full of newbies. I love how people with better scores than me simply because they've found all the exploits of the game call me a newbie. Freaks don't realize I was playing beta 1, and making stupid Tom Green skins and shit for the player models.

Long live beta 3 of CS.
They aren't exploits. Map makers deliberately make some walls easier to penetrate based on realism. EG a thin wooden door/wall isn't going to hold back a volley of fire from an MG42.

As for cheapness, proning in a corner waiting for people to run past is infinitely cheaper/lame/frustrating.

I'm only ever on the receiving end of wall shooting... normally while retreating.. the problem with CS is that you almost freeze when a shot hits you, so you die, at least in dod if you're retreating then you can sometimes leg it fast enough

Sigh, Wall penetration is good for realism, frustrating to be on the wrong end sometimes. I have a bigger issue with wall I can't shoot though like a wood fence.

Whats really gets under my skin are the spawn campers and exploiters. I play alot of custom maps that offen have exploits like skywalking and seeing though buildings/walls.

the map makers put it in so its not exploiting and even in WWII they shot through walls and this dod is meant to simulate a WWII environment.

Mr-Fusion said:
As for cheapness, proning in a corner waiting for people to run past is infinitely cheaper/lame/frustrating.

We could be good friends :) I'd rather be walled than have a prone mp40 shoot me in the ankles, or even and mp40 who's been waiting in the corner for a couple of minutes.

BTW, out of all the wallshooters, who's in a clan?

I don't understand this stuff... when did they rmeove wallshooting from CS:S? reduced, sure, but that only makes sense. bulets can't go through 3 foot concrete blocks. realistic stuff I still kill people through

war is hell, not everyone marches into the field and is shot in a skillfull duel. sometimes you get hit by a mortar, sometimes you trip on a landmine, sometimes you get your ass shot by a wallhaxor. wallshooting is important though, removing it would be harmful.

I hope they fix it where grenade blasts will go through walls, at least for walls that are more than a few inches thick.

But getting rid of wallshooting in DOD would be very unrealistic. Many guns in the game will easily go through lots of walls in real life (MG42, M1 Garand, BAR, Bren gun, and many, many more).

There are times when you see someone and they duck below a window and you can guess where they are and wall shoot. It's those times when someone is inside and shooting outside through a wall and hitting people far away who they can't see. I mean with aimed shots. How can this be? Well perhaps they have Extra Sensory Perception. The requirement for your enemy to be in sight is a sensible part of the game. Only when you can deduce where they are because you already saw them does wall shootiing make sense. I suppose a doorway could be the exception if you think they are on the other side of a door. If you say you can do this by sound, I disagree. I have stereo headphones and I cannot localize a sound to a specific spot. I can say they are on the right or left but that is all. I don't like getting killed by people who can't see me and shouldn't know where I am.

the desert eagle could shoot through 2m thick walls...and very fiew WW2 weapons could actually shoot through normal walls :(

Slim said:
[...]It's those times when someone is inside and shooting outside through a wall and hitting people far away who they can't see. I mean with aimed shots. How can this be?[...]
That's just a matter of spamming places where there's a good chance people would be, or just getting lucky :p

It would be a perfect feature if implemented as realistically as possible, taking into consideration the possibilities for ricochet (i.e. Angle of Bullets entrance and possibility of a ricochet) and the fact that the bullet would not travel in a perfect line through a wall, and that the bullet passing through would have less velocity resulting in less damage, and also including the possibility that the bullet is stopped (which is possible) inside the wall from the internal structure of the wall, (mind you all that I have said can easily be converted into programming), then I would say go for it.

It would be a perfect feature if implemented as realistically as possible, taking into consideration the possibilities for ricochet (i.e. Angle of Bullets entrance and possibility of a ricochet) and the fact that the bullet would not travel in a perfect line through a wall, and that the bullet passing through would have less velocity resulting in less damage, and also including the possibility that the bullet is stopped (which is possible) inside the wall from the internal structure of the wall, (mind you all that I have said can easily be converted into programming), then I would say go for it.

leadfish said:
That's just a matter of spamming places where there's a good chance people would be, or just getting lucky :p

"lucky" is not a good place to be especially when one is lucky constantly. If you are talking about one random event sure. If you are talking headshots with repetition through walls I don't like that kind of "lucky". It is so unrealistic in so many situations. Bad enough that people camp in hidey holes and wait for a victim for as long as it takes, but to make those kind of inside to outside kills is not very manly nor legitimate. Especially when they are "aimed". There are illegal "game enhancements" that will permit this aiming to occur. It is VERY suspicious behaviour regardless if the player is "legit" or not.
I am inclined to leave a server when players kill me like that. They can play with some other chump. I am really not interested in playing with hidey hole cowards. I say come out and fight like a man, not a nervous little girl firing at the wall. :hmph:

I think wallshooting is good stuff. What I don't want to see, however, is your player's movement speed being reduced to a crawl as you're taking damage. It's never been fun for me in Counter-Strike when this is happening (wallshooting has always compounded the effect too) and I honestly DON'T think it's all that realistic. How many people do you know who have been shot say that they remember themselves beginning to move more slowly as the bullets were hitting them? If anything I'd say that they begin to run more quickly then, later, after the adrenaline wears off, they realise that the bullet wounds actually hurt quite alot.

DoD's wallshooting right now is slim to none, used to be a lot better.

I like wallshooting.

e.g. shooting thru the floors/cielings of hostage place of cs_Italy. it mkaes the game gr8.

I hope its still in DoD and better, i like to do it with Thompson

I have to admit this thread brings up the two things I think about most when I think about CS and DOD: Camping and Wallshooting. Wallshooting doesn't bother me at all, as long as it doesn't happen everytime I take cover. Usually it just make me relocate on respawn or whatever. It's just really annoying, and I rarely use it, unless I've been tracking someone through my scope. Which brings me to my second point. I have never had a problem with campers. (Um, provided one isn't holed up right in front of a spawn point.) I'm a camper. I'll take a sniper rifle, hole up and shoot whoever crosses my path. (Which is more difficult then you might expect.) I've never understood all the crying of "he camped with a sniper! kick him!" (which has happened- often.) I mean if you don't want to get shot, keep your head down and your eyes open. Snipers are annoying as hell, yes. That's the POINT. They live longer because they know how to conceal themselves. They aren't immortal. If someone lobs a grenade at me, or rattles off a belt of ammunition, there's no way I can get out of the way in time. It's just a matter of tactics and skill. And trust me, there are people that are experts at killing snipers in these games. I've met them... lol.

Well said Faulk, it really gets on my tits when people moan about camping in Dod, I mean, its basically a camping game, go play 3.1 or before, took ages to move up as you had to take out the enemies line before you could get anywhere.

WWII was nothing but long periods of camping with the occasional zerg... I mean be realistic. Heck, remember Normandy? Campers and zerg at its finest. If you were told that a bunch of Germans were incoming would you run around as fast as you could with wreckless abandon or would you park your butt in a dark corner and keep your sights aimed at the point of entry? Yeah, I thought so.

This isn't ww2 irl though, it's a themed computer game. Proning in dark corners does nothing to enhance the gameplay that DoD has. Corner campers are the reason people like me spam certain walls because there's a high percentage chance of getting rid of said corner camper.

Which is one technique of killing them. And if the campers want to continue to camp, they have to keep finding new locations, switch them up, or figure --something-- out to survive.

Glo-Boy said:

NEVER. It's cheap, and frustrating to be killed that way. Besides, I like a little challenge in a game full of newbies.

So everyone else is a newb for playing the game it was designed to be played, and you refuse to play it correcly so you get worse scores... and get frustrated. Yeah... we are newbies.

It's not cheap, it's tactical. I myself find it exciting to see bullets fly through stuff when people are shooting at me. I also enjoy shooting a camper hiding behind a door.

i dont think wallshooting is a noobie thing to do at all, but i dont think you should be able to shoot through some walls, should be semi-realistic :p

It makes you feel so much better after someone runs round the corner and you shoot him through the wall by working out where he would be.

oogly said:
WWII was nothing but long periods of camping with the occasional zerg... I mean be realistic. Heck, remember Normandy? Campers and zerg at its finest. If you were told that a bunch of Germans were incoming would you run around as fast as you could with wreckless abandon or would you park your butt in a dark corner and keep your sights aimed at the point of entry? Yeah, I thought so.

Imagine a realsitic WW2 game.

You sit in a foxhole for 2 weeks - and then suddenly explode (hit by a shell you never saw coming :/)

I'll take DoD and RTCW/ET thank you :)

i would be all for wallshooting if it worked on WOODEN DOORS, too.

I mean, come on. There are literally dozens of map spots where one side or the other has a huge advantage because people can hide from an MG behind a door and throw grenades without fear of the high-calibur bullets going through the wooden door and hitting them.

but you can get shot by a sniper through a brick wall?

benpatient said:
i would be all for wallshooting if it worked on WOODEN DOORS, too.

I mean, come on. There are literally dozens of map spots where one side or the other has a huge advantage because people can hide from an MG behind a door and throw grenades without fear of the high-calibur bullets going through the wooden door and hitting them.

but you can get shot by a sniper through a brick wall?

Which wooden doors would these be by chance? Being behind a door is one of the more dangerous places to be in dod =/

Back