water monster

H

HeNdRiX

We all remember the old water monster from Half-Life that we killed with the crossbow, but will there be a knew underwater creature for HL2?

In one of the interviews with Gabe, he is asked about what they are planning to do about people swimming endlessly in the sea. He replies "Say hello to my little ichthyosaur ;-)"

Does this mean that there will be a huge, dinosaur like creature that is ready to kill you in the sea, or maybe he is talking of the hydra, because not much is known of it, and it may be made of water.

the ichthyosaur is that 'old water monster' you are talking about from hl1

You used the crossbow to take that thing out? Real men prefer to just use the crowbar. :)

haha, those things freaked me out so much I just thru grenades and satchel charges in the water randomly to kill it... I didn't like it charging me ;(

Man those things scared the shit out of me. I hate underwater stuff in FPS's because you never know where stuff will come from.

Originally posted by Apos
You used the crossbow to take that thing out? Real men prefer to just use the crowbar. :)

lol.. ya right... I would try to drop depth charges (grenades) and weaken then jump in the water and get mauled alittle bit untill i could glock it to death!

underwater monsters are cooler than any others.

i hope we get some good, dark underwater areas. maybe light poking in some parts, and some nice underwater effects :D

I would always save up my satchel charges for thaose damn icthy fights.

Either that or i'd glock it dead from whatever ladder is touching the water that damn alien fish is swimming in and resurface before it reached me.

Originally posted by Apocaliptik
Man those things scared the shit out of me. I hate underwater stuff in FPS's because you never know where stuff will come from.

yea i know, going under water is freaking in FPS games.

In a lot of games, for me, going into the water gives me the creeps.
Quake II-Baracuda Shark
Half-Life: Ichthyosaur
And more...

omg i thought i was the only person who was freaked out by water stuff. even since the sharks in duke dukem 3d ive been kinda hesitant to just jump in water.

Hey if you really wanna be freaked out while in an underwater environment, hold your breath the whole time - that really puts you in the spirit!

Originally posted by Solidarnosi
Hey if you really wanna be freaked out while in an underwater environment, hold your breath the whole time - that really puts you in the spirit!

Yeah, it would... well... more like making you a spirit...

hahah, i can see the headlines now:

Boy drowns - But not in water!
Today a young man died while playing halflife, a popular computer game. While trying to make the game feel as lifelike as possible, the boy held his breath while in an underwater enviornment. Catastrophically the player in the game became tangled in some netting and drowned, and the same went for the boy. Durning the autopsy doctors were startled to find water in the boy's lungs, a mystery that has yet to be solved. Memorial servies will be held on tuesday.

ah, crowbar-ing the ichthyosaurs...that was fun
now, those little ugly white fish worm things in the water that nipped at you.....those were scary

Originally posted by -Biohazard
omg i thought i was the only person who was freaked out by water stuff.

lol. I'm the same, I thought I was the only one to be freaked out by being under water in FPS's. The best example for me was in Dues Ex... The first mission (If my memory serves me correctly) you start off on a jetty. I decided to jump in the water behind me. I got about a quater of the way down when I suddenly remembered the ichthyosaur from HL. ... I was back on the jetty before I could finish thinking *OGM it's soo dark and there is no walls to back up against! I swear I heard something behind me!!!* ... It took me a good 10 mins to muster up the courage to get back down there.

:dork:

Icthy was way cool. I hope that there are way more than just two water monsters in HL2.

I'd like to see a level where you're just in waist-deep water, fighting the mega space fishes.

the ichthyosaurs were scariest for me in They Hunger, cos they seemed to hunt you down in packs and for some reason had a bug where they could fly out of the water and chase you on land, very hard to get away from oO

Originally posted by switch
the ichthyosaurs were scariest for me in They Hunger, cos they seemed to hunt you down in packs and for some reason had a bug where they could fly out of the water and chase you on land, very hard to get away from oO

they also could fly out of the water and land on you (while you're still in the water) and get stuck like that so you could just look up and smack 'em with the crowbar

Originally posted by ice101
haha, those things freaked me out so much I just thru grenades and satchel charges in the water randomly to kill it... I didn't like it charging me ;(

omg the first time i met one I nearly sprayed a constant stream of poo 4 feet ahead of me

Originally posted by alb1221
omg the first time i met one I nearly sprayed a constant stream of poo 4 feet ahead of me

a constant stream of what??? yeah those fishies were scary...mean scary fishies....

"Catastrophically the player in the game became tangled in some netting and drowned, and the same went for the boy."

lol!

Yeah, I know we're repeating the same thing over and over, but I must also say that the ichthyosaur is the most unpleasant creature in any game I've ever seen.
It freaks me off every time! o_O

EDIT: Typo

Originally posted by Tredoslop
In a lot of games, for me, going into the water gives me the creeps.
Quake II-Baracuda Shark
Half-Life: Ichthyosaur
And more...
likewise, i remember in Halflife, when you fall down in that HUGE hold and these was water down there, i was so freaked out it wasnt even funny.

when I first saw it i was like "is that.... is that a shark? What is tha... AJGKDBHJKG HJASDG HJKASJAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

and then I cried. I cried like the little bitch I am

Did a little research on them, curious to see if they were real (no, not exactly as they were in the game)

yep I was right, and seeing how they actually were I feel much better:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/people/motani/ichthyo/

"Ichthyosaurs were aquatic reptiles that lived between 250 million and 90 million years ago. They were shaped roughly like dolphins with long, thin noses and disproportionately large eyes. The biggest ichthyosaurs were more than 45 feet long and fed on squid, fish and other marine animals."

hahaha, well its true...

R.I.P. Black Mesa Custodial Team

damn liar, that didnt work, u had to parelize it with the crossbow and then it went to sleep or something like it, any other weapon was useless:dozey:

you ever tried swinging a crowbar underwater?

the fist time i saw that "fishy" i clsed my eyes and exited the game..
i got this underwater fobia in a game of star wars for n64.. can't really remember the name of it, but it was a HUGE multi headed monster that filled a hole freaking room!! it looked so bad and monster like that i could almost smell it although it was just a game:eek:

Hey, I was thinking about these ichysaurs and I was wondering why we never saw a dead one on land or anything. I am guessing they teleport into the world just like any other alien... but they always seemed to land in the water? Ehhh its just a game I guess :p :dozey:

Originally posted by Tarkus
the fist time i saw that "fishy" i clsed my eyes and exited the game..
i got this underwater fobia in a game of star wars for n64.. can't really remember the name of it, but it was a HUGE multi headed monster that filled a hole freaking room!! it looked so bad and monster like that i could almost smell it although it was just a game:eek:

they were dianogas, the mother one or something (not really a starwars fan, but It scares the shit outta me so I checked the manuak)

yeah, well that scared me from going underwater IN REAL LIFE

stupid water stuff has to be so... watery

Yea, its pretty freaky, especially when you already have hydrophobia. That dam part with the really deep water caused me to just flip the switch on my computer and run to the bathroom and throw up.

Back