We are all going to die.

F*ck that... have some respect for the other humans in the world that don't care and don't wish to die.

The worst that could happen is an isolated explosion.

this will probably cause some kind of universal implosion

Risk: 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

The experiment sounds pretty damn cool.

Edit: I think the odds of us all suddenly dropping dead of random causes today are higher. And I KNOW the odds of another object striking the earth and killing us all are higher.

"They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low."

lol

This is actually exciting. What if we do find out that the big bang created the universe? What will christians use in their arguements now?! :(

Err, probably they would doubt the integrity of the experiment. Ignorance.

I've actually been reading about this for a long time, its been under construction for quite along time, and string theorists speak of it with awe, because it will be the first device capable of testing their theories.

lol at the "destroying the planet" thing. reminds me of black mesa ;)

Just make sure whoever inserts the crystal is a highly trained professional.
And assure the administrator that nothing will go wrong.

Oh noes! VALVE SAW THE FUTURE.

I swear to fkn god, if I'm looking at pictures of this experiment, and I see ANYONE that resembles Gordon Freemen or the G-Man...I'm going to shit myself, hole myself up and prepair for invasion.

Creating black holes on earth? Wow, sounds like a great f*cking idea. Seriously, some people are f*cking geniuses.

Creating black holes on earth? Wow, sounds like a great f*cking idea. Seriously, some people are f*cking geniuses.
Yeah, some kid on the internet knows more of what they're doing then a team of highly professional scientists.

Honestly dude, you're not going to know something they don't.

Heh. I just thought it would be really funny if there were an alien race that lives in a "universe at right-angles to our own three dimensions", and what would happen if we blew up the planet on the first try.

/dimensionripple
"What was that?"
"Lawl, earthlings."

Yeah, some kid on the internet knows more of what they're doing then a team of highly professional scientists.

Honestly dude, you're not going to know something they don't.
If I recall correctly, scientists also created and allowed the detonation of Hydrogen Bombs even though they thought one might torch the atmosphere. Yeah, they're smart alright, or have no regard for the human species so long as they can get results - take your pick. Intelligence and common sense don't tend to go hand in hand.

That was one instance, and more importantly, just to win a war.

Besides, those examples are kind of different because with the bomb situation they knew it had bad effects but had to do it because the government basically told them to, because it was a war situation. With this, nobody is telling them to and they are saying the chances of something going wrong are extremely minute.
They are not trying to ignore some dangerous outcome, because there is none. If you really think they haven't understood the fact that they are making a black hole, and you think you are the only one that has.... I have no comment.

That was one instance, and more importantly, just to win a war.

Besides, those examples are kind of different because with the bomb situation they knew it had bad effects but had to do it because the government basically told them to, because it was a war situation. With this, nobody is telling them to and they are saying the chances of something going wrong are extremely minute.
They are not trying to ignore some dangerous outcome, because there is none. If you really think they haven't understood the fact that they are making a black hole, and you think you are the only one that has.... I have no comment.
I just think it's rather reckless, like most science is. I have no problem with furthering mankind's knowledge, but science really doesn't give much of a shit about humanity.

I don't think you have a right to say or assume that without first hand experience.

The stuff may sound dangerous or scary but that's just because us average joes don't understand it.

I don't think you have a right to say or assume that without first hand experience.

The stuff may sound dangerous or scary but that's just because us average joes don't understand it.
Which is why there are things called opinions, which is what I have of this situation. Ignorance means nothing when it comes to an opinion. I can still make a value judgement without knowing anything about it.

I can still make a value judgement without knowing anything about it.
lol? How is it valuable if you know nothing about it? It is useless, no?

And an opinion is different than a judgement of fact.

Micro Black holes, which according to some enter out atmosphere all the time.

Icarusintel said:
I just think it's rather reckless, like most science is.
Right, I'll just tell all my lectures to turn off their computers and put their pens and paper away since they are being too reckless.:rolleyes:

Icarusintel said:
Which is why there are things called opinions, which is what I have of this situation. Ignorance means nothing when it comes to an opinion. I can still make a value judgement without knowing anything about it.
Opinions without all the facts are meaningless. Unless you count elections ;)

Risk: 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

The experiment sounds pretty damn cool.

Edit: I think the odds of us all suddenly dropping dead of random causes today are higher. And I KNOW the odds of another object striking the earth and killing us all are higher.

But what time frame do those risks happen?

It could be every millisecond, or second, in which that chance.. After 20 years we may just be screwed

Also, those are estimated results...
These guys could possibly solve the greatest mystery in the world.... it could be faked on the results to destroy the planet

But what time frame do those risks happen?

It could be every millisecond, or second, in which that chance.. After 20 years we may just be screwed

Also, those are estimated results...
These guys could possibly solve the greatest mystery in the world.... it could be faked on the results to destroy the planet
Most likely the chance per proton collision of the destruction of the entire planet.

So if we ran the experiment for many times longer than the universe as we know it has already existed, we might run into an infinitesimally small chance of blowing up the planet :p

hehe, i love the "accidentally destroying the planet" part :p
"OEPS, sorry guys!"

10k years later aliens find remains of humanity in parts of an exploded world: "wtf happened to these guys"

The microscopic black holes will get super huge then teleport the whole earth into another dimension... we'll be fine

i think the worse that can happen is that someone near the experiment gets instigibbed.

Interesting and scary. They say the chances of accidentally destroying the Earth are negligible, yeah that makes me fell much better:p . I doubt something cool like opening a portal to another dimension will happen. Worst case scenario? The particle accelerator goes BOOM!!:cheese:

Worst case scenario is that it would create an opposite effect of the big bang. Meaning a bulb that stops all matter and energy from existing expanding at the speed of light.

Yeah but look on the bright side, we get bragging rights for all eternity as being the ones that destroyed the Universe!:D

Back