Weekly Steam News (06/01/06)

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
It’s that time of the week again, and Valve have just posted today’s Steam News. I’ll let the facts speak for themselves:
  • A new Day of Defeat: Source map, Kalt, will be released this month.
  • A new Counter Strike: Source map, Militia, will also be released this month.
There we go, short and sweet. You can start jumping up and down with excitement now- although you might want to take a look at this screenshot of Kalt first!
[br]

[br]Restart your Steam client or click here to see the news post.

Hah, gotta suck for the modder who already made a custom kalt map. Hes gunna get pwnt by valve.

Nice, a winter-themed map. woooooooo

And yes, thank Valve for Militia! I loved that map back in CS.

cs_militia owned, absolutely owned, now just bring back cs_estate and dod_hill and a solid normandy beach map and i'll be entirely happy.

but what about the shiny graphics bug? D: they really outta focus on fixing that first....

Teta_Bonita said:
but what about the shiny graphics bug? D: they really outta focus on fixing that first....

You outta really search VALVe's wiki about that first....

Hehe "Kallt" = "cold" in swedish. Seems fitting ;-)

estate = crappy looking custom map... Although it was kinda fun, it was the worst house ever.

Plus theres already a CSS version of it called "mansion".

Looking forward to Kalt. It should be interesting to see what kind of special stuff they did with the snow.

DiSTuRbEd said:

Yup:

wiki said:
Overly bright cubemaps

* Cubemaps (reflections) are currently rendering much brighter than they should. A fix for this issue requires a Source engine update separate from the SDK Beta release, and will be arriving via Steam in the near future.

YES more GFX updates for source!!!!!!!! OH MAN YES!!!!!!

Sweet, Kalt looks good.

Wonder what Militia will turn out? I hope it's still a desert... :rolleyes:

MIIIIIILLLIIIIITTTTTIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Let's hope it's more Nuke than Inferno, and will actually run on my computer.

dekstar said:
MIIIIIILLLIIIIITTTTTIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Let's hope it's more Nuke than Inferno, and will actually run on my computer.
No matter. You will be insta-banned from all the servers running it because everyone still remembers you from 1.6 :p

On-topic : Looking good, as always. First remakes, then they can start churning out pwnage new maps \0/

Cruor said:
Hehe "Kallt" = "cold" in swedish. Seems fitting ;-)

It's "Kalt" not "Kallt". And it means "cold" in german ;)

ZoFreX said:
Wtf, snow isn't shiny...

But the only shiny thing is the ice, isn't it? 'Cause I thought there was ice under the bridge in Kalt.. :p

I hope it's better than Argentan. That map is kind of too linear in my mind, because combat was pretty much always the same and in the same spot.

Just bought dods the other day and have to say its quality fun. Would love to see some new maps, looking forward to this.

DiSTuRbEd said:
I did, but right after I made that post. D: (oops)

anyway, militia is going to be fvcking ace! :bounce:

Hurray for Kalt!

Teta :naughty:

Beerdude26 said:
No matter. You will be insta-banned from all the servers running it because everyone still remembers you from 1.6 :p
:eek: Have I played you in 1.6 before?

bigburpco said:
But the only shiny thing is the ice, isn't it? 'Cause I thought there was ice under the bridge in Kalt.. :p
Yes. Ice is shiny.

I can't wait for Militia, I always loved that map but not a lot of good or populated servers play it anymore. CAn't wait to shoot T's off the roof and watch them fall all the way down. Will be hard from the front though because they'll fall backwards...oh well i'll figure it out. :p

CookieCuttah said:
I hope it's better than Argentan. That map is kind of too linear in my mind, because combat was pretty much always the same and in the same spot.

It's not really very linear. A linear map would have to be Flash. They need more routes to flank the enemy and the game won't progress. Argentan is usually over too quickly. :cat:

can't wait to see what cs_militia looks like :D
hmm....i wonder when they will release the next pair of CS:S models.

If militia is all pavement and stuff...ugh, it will just ruin the feel of the map.

DoD:S looks better than the new Aftermath screenshots :(

bigburpco said:
It's not really very linear. A linear map would have to be Flash. They need more routes to flank the enemy and the game won't progress. Argentan is usually over too quickly. :cat:
That's kind of what I ment. Flash incorporates many different types of combat and seems to have many more options because it's linear (Strangely). Now in Argentan pretty much everyone has a nice spot made just for them and it doesn't work otherwise very well (The train track MG, the sniper windows, the rifle long street to axis 2) it's unworkable for mostly anything except one class.

jondy said:
DoD:S looks better than the new Aftermath screenshots :(

What? ... Blasphemy! :sniper: :x

I personally thought the feel for Half-Life 2 and Aftermath (in the enviroment) are spot-on. DOD:S doesn't have that WW2 feel to it. It's much too bright and has that joy kind of feel. It's should be chaos everywhere. It should be about people dying left and right in a total madness. DOD:S is fun but it doesn't capture that feel... also that Band of Brothers feel, where our fellow soldiers care for you. But no... Idiots whine on the mike, toss verbal abuse about at one another. It ruins the great experience someone could have a good game without someone saying 'you suk i hat u u lyk piex of poop'. Oh, come on, people've got to play with teamwork. Bah, I'm ranting already.

Back