Weekly Steam News (17/06/05)

CrazyHarij

Reaction score
This weeks Steam News reveal more about Valve's plans for Day of Defeat: Source as well as a brand new Softimage XSI contest:

For the last couple of months a team at Valve has been working away on Day of Defeat: Source. We'd like to give people some insight into what we've been doing during this time.[br]
</br>
The initial plan following the launch of Half-Life 2 was to get a near direct port of the existing Day of Defeat up and running and release it to the community. After this release, the plan was to take the approach of iterating on the art and gameplay of Day of Defeat through the end of the year. We finished this porting work a few months ago, released this version to a small group of beta testers, and then took stock of where we were. We didn't feel like the game was good enough from a visual perspective to release.
For the last couple of months a team at Valve has been working away on Day of Defeat: Source. We'd like to give people some insight into what we've been doing during this time.[br]
</br>
We decided to rework all of the content of Day of Defeat: Source before the full public release, hoping that people would be happier waiting for the product to ship while we gave DoD the attention it deserved. We hope our assumptions turn out to be accurate.[br]

Here is the first screenshot from dod_flash, which is the first map that has been given this complete art pass. We'll have more things to share over the next few weeks.
[br]

[br]
In other news, our friends at Softimage are having a modeling contest and offering $25,000 in prizes for the most original and compelling characters produced with the XSI Mod Tool. Submissions will be judged in-game on specific visual and animation criteria. For more, head to the contest’s offical page.

I'm glad, looks so much better. Looked like crap before.

leak.jpg

what's your point? Buildings can't be built on slopes, so they have this thing called a foundation that is flat, that the building is built on.

First thought that came to my mind was: "thank you Valve!". I'd happily wait some few more months for quality maps & gameplay.

HybridM said:
what's your point? Buildings can't be built on slopes, so they have this thing called a foundation that is flat, that the building is built on.
Its a leak fool.

Valve really do pick strange shots for media releases, like the Aftermath one. Still, looks nice enough.

Look at the skybox,, its the same texture.

You can see out the map. Leak to a degree.

doesnt seem to be the same texture as the sky to me, its far too bright. Also seems like the wrong sort of position for a leak to occur, Probably just a orange texture or a wall that wasnt textured right (remember they use orange polygons when making HL2 before they applied the textures)

This pic looks so much better than what was shown previously. grats to the team

Leaks don't have the same texture as the skybox. It looks like a wood texture to me...

What's your point anyway?

And the first thing that came to my mind was: "Oh, thanks! They will probably make a normal HL2-like characters!"

That screenie doesn't look that good, but hopefuly the maps will be better and have an atomsphere. I guess this will replace my Call of Duty playing.

No need to call me a fool. Even if I'm not right, you certainly aren't.

hopefully the models hands wont be those of terrorist ^_^

I think the most important thing this means and answers is that those hand and gun models WERE temporary which is awsome I cant wait now!

I really hope that they can make DoD: Src like CS: Src, with everything custom.

Good news for those that like DoD for sure. A partial conversion to source would not have been satisfying to anyone, especially new players.

And that contest looks pretty interesting with its hefty pricemoney (as opposed to the USD25 (!!) they offer in the xen-copntest... :E

I would certainly give it a try if I had teh sk1llz.

.bog.

azz0r said:

Yup, he's right, exactly the same color:

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 382
It's a coincidence if it's the same colour (which it isn't), not a leak.

A leak doesn't have a 'colour' as such

I believe that the texture is just the pressboard texture used on the windows... It's the same color...not a leak, just an unnoticed texture change.

azz0r said:

if that is a leak then the ground displacement would be rendered through it and you would not see the sky

you lose

still whats the deal whit that?

"OMFG THIS GAME IS NOT PERFECT IS DA ZUCKSSORZZLOLOLO!!!!11"

The only think I dont like about that shot is the sandbags. They look much too tidy, and you can easily tell where the edges of the model are. It looks really low poly.

so far nothing to be impressed with, ill stick with BF2...

They look much too tidy, and you can easily tell where the edges of the model are.
Unlike real sandbags. You never know where they end and where they begin!

Just release the damn thing already. So frustrating that I already paid for this like 9 months ago.

Back