Weekly Steam News (22/07/05)

No one knows at this point what impact HDR on Source will have in terms of fps.

Sgt.Murray said:
How much FPS will HDR take up exactly ??

How long is a piece of string. There are so many variables in that question that there isn't an answer. Also FYI the phrasing of the question is very happ-hazzard.

Azlan said:
VALVe has bestowed upon us two new images from the forthcoming Day of Defeat: Source. As always, restart Steam to recieve the update.

[br]

How about using another program other than MSPaint to save your JPEGs? :rolleyes:

Betelgeuze said:
@ H2HSnake:
Asking the same questions over and over again = spam = bad
do you understand, or is it to complicated for you?

*last post in this topic, I dont want a flamewar*
did i ask questions?...where?

Yatta said:
How about using another program other than MSPaint to save your JPEGs? :rolleyes:

How about reading the previous posts and seeing that the bandwidth for this site isn't exactly unlimited.

Is it not possible for HL2.net to just link the screenies on Steampowered.com, or is such an action bad netiquet or something?

The man said soon no need to speculate since we all are wrong anyways but im sure it will be worth all the waiting.

Pesmerga said:
How about reading the previous posts and seeing that the bandwidth for this site isn't exactly unlimited.
Then I suggest for kupoartist's suggestion to be taken into action.:)

Looks good enough for me, although I've seen much better done with Source ;)

looking forward to it.. not enough good HL2 mods out there

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the way the tank tracks dissapear into solid rock on this particular map. Seems rather unrealistic since thats impossible. Its such a shame the hl2 engine is so out of date when it came out. You look at the rubble and its all jagged as they cant make smooth rubble and even castle wolfenstein on quake 3 ancient engine had smooth rubble and curves. I find it amazing that the hl2 engine has such a lack of curves. Quake 3's ancient engine has curves called "patches" in the editor. hl2 is so behind it uses the same editor it did for hl1 because they never improved the engine as far as making curved surfaces enabled. If you do see a curved surface in hl2 it is usually a model or it has lots of unrealistic lines on it. Not many people seem bothered though so I guess on hl3 they might not do curves again!

(obviously rubble may not want to be curved, but with curves on rubble it improves the look at feel a lot)

That's not a limitation of the engine.

Also, the editor is irrelevant - it's just a graphical frontend to a text editor, just the same as Radiant is.

another little tidbit re: the hydra being in lost coast.

while i personally don't think that hydra is going to be the extra content, i do think that it would like *awesome* if it was in lost coast.

for those that remember the tech video where it premiered, you'll also remember that it was translucent. thus, combine that translucency plus HDR and you've got a baddie that i'd willingly die over and over again just to gawk at.

however, i do remember valve commenting before that the reason hydra was pulled was due to abberations in it's AI algorithm. unless they've had time to get that fixed, i doubt we'll see it in lost coast.

having the bullsquid in lost coast would be neat, but i'd really like to see a good return of the houndeye. or, maybe valve has decided to sponsor black mesa: source or something else totally out of left field.

who knows? not i. this is all just my $.02

Wow those screenshots look crazy. Cant wait for the unannounced news, sounds good.

svet-am said:
having the bullsquid in lost coast would be neat, but i'd really like to see a good return of the houndeye. or, maybe valve has decided to sponsor black mesa: source or something else totally out of left field.

who knows? not i. this is all just my $.02

Being on the BM:S team I know that this is not the case, and unfortunately will most likely not be the case ever :(

X64 doesn't class as extra content.

Pi Mu Rho said:
X64 doesn't class as extra content.

Hm, you're right, but what's about better/more detailed textures for HL2 and not only for Lost Coast? This would be an "extra content".

Back