Weekly Steam News (29/04/05)

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A news update has been released over Steam, focussing mainly on third-party mods:
Friday, April 29 2005[br]
This week we're going to be talking about some Source-based projects from folks other than Valve.[br]
[br]
The team over at Plan of Attack released the first
version of their game, which focuses on strategic team game play, where the players on each team
are presented decisions at the start of each round that impact the flow of the game. Here at Valve
we got a chance to play the game before it was released and had a lot of fun playing with their
development team. Congratulations to their entire team for getting it out the door, and we're
looking forward to watching it evolve over time. Head on over to their
website to download and play the latest version.[br]
[br]
Another interesting Source-based game has been announced today. The Alien Swarm team launched a
new site showing off the Source version of
their game, and IGN has the first preview
up on their page. We're all looking forward to seeing what their team can do with their game using
Source.[br]
[br]
Lastly, we promised some new media on the Counter-Strike: Source version of de_inferno this week,
but we didn't quite have enough time to get everything together. We're now shooting for getting that
done next week.
The full news update can be seen by restarting Steam or by clicking here. Additionally, you can see some pictures from the aforementioned Alien Swarm: Source below:[br]

The Alien Swarm team seems to be progressing very nicely.

edit: Models, maps, and everything else looks great.

Holy crap, Alien Swarm! :cool:

Hopefully the controls will be a little more intuitive this time. It's hard enough to explain how it worked in the UT version, let alone actually use it! You had to keep track of where your mouse was AND where your character was, usually in dark environments with lots of aliens crawling and exploding everywhere. Oh yeah, and friendly fire was always on. :x

Argh having to wait more for new CS:S maps .... :'( o well, glad to see theyre supporting mods!

Sounds good, shame about Inferno media, but this week seems to have gone fast for me anyway.
Snap Jimmeh. ;)
Some decent action shots being produced by mods now (Well, this and Dystopia). :D

LOL tired are we Chris? I saw that buggered up news post ;)

Very good new though, Alien Swarm looks great already

Alien swarm rocked (still does for UT2K4)....
Just think alien but then coop.
The concept was really nice.

And yeah, the aim was indeed a problem.

blackcatgames is probably the most professional mod team out there. Everything they make is top notch.

Owners of Half-Life 2 will be able to download the game for free. A separate commercial version, complete with extra missions, characters and equipment, can be purchased as well.

Incredible!

These guys are also making a UT2004 Thief mod. It'll take forever to come out though, hopefully they can switch it over to the HL2 engine.

I liked Alien Swarm for UT2K4, shame it wasn't very popular and everyone who played it was either an elitist who didn't give any help to newbies, or a complete asshat all around. You really need incredible teamwork to beat a level in that game, but it's great fun. I still think the mod would be incredible as a FPS, but that team likes to innovate I guess.

StardogChampion said:
These guys are also making a UT2004 Thief mod. It'll take forever to come out though, hopefully they can switch it over to the HL2 engine.

yeah that'll be nice :imu:

Oh WTF. I want some effin' Inferno screenshots I don't care about those mods, I read enough about their updates EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The Alien Swarm looks like Natural Selection if u ask me :hmph:

Nopeace4u said:
The Alien Swarm looks like Natural Selection if u ask me :hmph:

Obviously. It also looks like Doom 3 and a whole bunch of other sci-fi space station games.

Read through the site. This game is almost totally different except for the setting and the aliens.

MysticalMrBob said:
Oh WTF. I want some effin' Inferno screenshots I don't care about those mods, I read enough about their updates EVERY SINGLE DAY.

piss off back to csnation.net, asshat. mods are the future of this community. hard to believe, but CS was just a mod once.

We're now shooting for getting that done next week.

Do they mean they will release the map next week or just some screenshots?

this is the first real mod if seen so far... and it doesnt make me happy knowing i cant make this :(.... but f**king good work :thumbs:

DoctorWeeTodd said:
Alien Swarm looks more like Starcraft or X-Com.

yeah, starcraft came to my mind, too. although, i didn't play it myself. or just "touched" it.

Malfunction said:
I liked Alien Swarm for UT2K4, shame it wasn't very popular and everyone who played it was either an elitist who didn't give any help to newbies, or a complete asshat all around. You really need incredible teamwork to beat a level in that game, but it's great fun. I still think the mod would be incredible as a FPS, but that team likes to innovate I guess.

So are you a complete asshat or an elitist?

The Source-version for Alien Swarm seems nice, but I'm wondering if there really are any big benefits except larger public(that they'll make use of, anyway). I'm well aware that the final version probably will look very differently, but when it comes to a game like this, I don't think Source's graphics are gonna be all that great. It'd be cool if they made use of the physics engine though, but I somehow doubt they will.

Sharrd said:
So are you a complete asshat or an elitist?

The Source-version for Alien Swarm seems nice, but I'm wondering if there really are any big benefits except larger public(that they'll make use of, anyway). I'm well aware that the final version probably will look very differently, but when it comes to a game like this, I don't think Source's graphics are gonna be all that great. It'd be cool if they made use of the physics engine though, but I somehow doubt they will.

The physics are pretty hard to utilise, unless they decide to throw a gun in there that can pick up and throw things :E

yeah, couldn't get into that mod, so i gave up...hopefullly i'll have more luck with the source version. they should make it in doom3 next :O

WritingARequiem said:
The physics are pretty hard to utilise, unless they decide to throw a gun in there that can pick up and throw things :E

They could at least try to make some fun traps and "traps" that are for your own use, activated by pushing a button(BANG, concrete rains down on the aliens). I guess that might appeal to those quick to teamkill, but I really don't think there are many of those playing the game.

Thing is, I don't need valve to tell us about these mods when I can read about them WITHOUT Steam, and they said they'd give us info on de_port and de_inferno not these mods.

Stop being such a baby MysticalMrBob. I wouldnt have known about Alien Swarm if it wasnt for the steam news update.

From what ive read in the forums for alien swarm, the transition to source has seen much higher poly counts. So at the very least Source allows for this. Lighting should be better as well, plus shader effects.

This mod team made it to the Nvidia/Unreal mod competition final? So this should be a goodie. And with the larger community there mod will get more exposure.

Back