hool10

Tank
Reaction score
WeldingH42.jpg
007.gif
hi-plasma.jpg
tig_welding_sbu.jpg
Welder.jpg

For all you welders out there! :) It's a great trade and becoming increasingly demanding. I originally went to a tech HS for Carpentry but I wasn't accepted because everybody wanted to become a Carpenter. So I concluded that welding is like the glue and nails, yet you need more skill to weld than just smashing nails into wood. I was also amazed when I found out about welding from Monster Garage, I like fires, and I was also amazed at how beautiful/shocked when I first saw my first weld. I quickly found out that I owned at welding.

I started to actually beat Seniors as a Sophomore on how my welds looked like. I think it might be due to playing video games at an early age that gives me extra dexterity or something. I then went to a college and got my Associate in welding (graduated on May 21st, YAY). Six years later, I now work at a company who weld very massive heat exchangers and mixing tanks which are made of expensive high carbon steel and stainless steel.

As a welder, you can also be a machinist. You can also be a scientist because steels have many physical properties with them because it's made completely out of crystals. There is also recipes like a baker and you must use precise measuring, to create good metal. You can also do on the side metal sculptures or even blacksmithing. You can even be an engineer.

The reason why welders are in such a high demand is that baby boomers are retiring and everybody wants to go into DigiPen. :cheese: In fact, it's a huge issue that nobody is addressing because if you look around you, everything is made of metal or welded. Yet the pay and demand for good and experienced welders is going sky high. I am earning $16.50 at my company but expect in August to be earning $20 an hour.

Welding can be dirty, but it depends upon what field you are welding for. It's also not very dangerous, it's only dangerous if you are a Darwin candidate. I would also like to say it's recession proof. Also if you get a job in the oil business welding pipes for Katrina oil lines, there is major bucks in that. There is also underwater welding too. I also notice, and many welders agree, that female welders are very good but it's very hard to find a hot one or any females who like welding for that matter. :p

On my youtube account you can actually see me welding, and my class as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C5s60JMxNU
Here is a welding field ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7IfJAV-rZg
Most of the cons you hear are for the shitty jobs you don't want any ways like crouching for hours at a time. :LOL: There is also strong bias that welding is still filthy and dangerous, often referring to the primordial age, yet if you work like an idiot, you get dirty (and burned a lot).

Whenever I need to fabricate my own intercooler piping, I'll hit you up.

I'm actually a welder too, went to a vocational high school and took it up a few years ago.
After that, I went to Baran Institute for 2 years, just graduated October last year actually.

Been a freelancer since then, work is slow as shit though.
I think I've got some pictures of me welding for the sake of having pictures of me welding somewhere.

Edit : Yeah here's one.
MVC-737S.jpg

Doing a quick vertical weld with a 6011 electrode.

MVC-729S.jpg

And doing a quick flat MIG bead.

How do you get to be a welder :eek:

I have no idea what i want to do for college(I was leaning toward Digipen :p), and welding sounds interesting.

How do you get to be a welder :eek:

I have no idea what i want to do for college(I was leaning toward Digipen :p), and welding sounds interesting.
Pretty simple actually. Just take like a sample course or something. It's very simple to weld actually and some people in my work actually have those bluetooth headsets and talk to their wife like "what's for dinner, etc" underneath the welding helmet, while welding. My simple recommendation is to watch some welding videos on youtube. I highly suggest you just take a blacksmithing course or sample course in welding though. In the blacksmithing one, you can make something too, while learning to weld. Initially, you will start out using these torches called Oxy-Acytelene torches which combines the hottest burning gas and then pure oxygen to get it to the hottest flame known to man. Then the next obvious step is using electricity to weld but Oxy-Acetylene is like the foundation of welding and TIG welding. I always laugh at this guy stick welding or SMAW welding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH3EpX4oqi0 He acts completely goofy, but that's actually how you stick weld. *Oh and they have welders at The Home Depot or something. They are rather cheap but hey, it's your first welding machine you know. **Oh and you don't need to be this big biker like Jesse James or something. I mean the average welder doesn't own a motorcycle. It's another stereotype of the high school drop-out who works on his bike all the time and welds or something. :upstare: You need to be strong as well, yet you don't need to be like a big burly biker neither haha. :)

MVC-729S.jpg

And doing a quick flat MIG bead.

MIG welding has always been a favorite of mine, i've don't a bit of work with TIG. TIG impresses me a lot, the hold of it is brilliant. Arc weling is good too, did some of that in high school lol.

Don't know much about welding, had to do it for my job a while back though lol and it rocked out.

Yeah, MIG welding's so easy... anybody could do it.

But, I love to TIG weld and Oxy-Acetylene weld when it comes to building models and the like.
TIG welding jobs are the best : Sit in a small air-conditioned room with your headphones on just welding.

Yeah, MIG welding's so easy... anybody could do it.

But, I love to TIG weld and Oxy-Acetylene weld when it comes to building models and the like.
TIG welding jobs are the best : Sit in a small air-conditioned room with your headphones on just welding.
This old guy completely blew that theory away as he told me today. He said that most companies just tack things up with MIG, then use like a pulsed MIG to get it done fast. Stick is for the outdoor work. The only reason why TIG is in the industry he said was for code work that states to TIG weld and stuff for food and medical stuff. I mean, I'm making like close to 1/2" welds on TIG. :LOL: We just literally push the rod in and it sucks the entire rod up for an inch of weld. Even then there is still underfill. :LOL:

I have used a stick once or twice. Hard as hell. Damn thing kept getting stuck. Then the whole thing fell apart anyways.
Im a carpenter not a welder damn it!

This old guy completely blew that theory away as he told me today. He said that most companies just tack things up with MIG, then use like a pulsed MIG to get it done fast. Stick is for the outdoor work. The only reason why TIG is in the industry he said was for code work that states to TIG weld and stuff for food and medical stuff. I mean, I'm making like close to 1/2" welds on TIG. :LOL: We just literally push the rod in and it sucks the entire rod up for an inch of weld. Even then there is still underfill. :LOL:

I've been TIG welding the most for the past few weeks, patching up small aluminum racks and the like for the local schools.
Welded a few chairs together for a restaurant.
TIG welded an aluminum pool shower head, had to cut out a new pipe and everything.

I went on a one day Arc and MIG welding course at school and it was ok...didn't really do anything for me though.

Seriously though, tons of welders in this town. Apparently the factory across the street was responsible for making a lot of the orc armour/weapons from LOTR. Which is cool, but christ they don't have to be so noisy about it.

Seriously though, tons of welders in this town. Apparently the factory across the street was responsible for making a lot of the orc armour/weapons from LOTR. Which is cool, but christ they don't have to be so noisy about it.
I saw the LOTR exhibit in Boston a few years ago. That was the most beautiful, most awesome craftsmanship I have ever seen for a movie or metal art for that matter. It really set a deep impression on me that I will never forget. :) They would not let me take pictures or videos, and for that I am really pissed off. I mean this stuff looked so amazing, like it was really made by orc's or elf's.

Back