What happened to all the classic rock?

cereal

Reaction score
Come on guys, why do less and less people respect classic rock! I mean The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, CCR, etc etc etc (theres hundreds more, and I missed plenty of the big ones)

Everything seems dominated by hip hop,rap, pop, and new rock
It makes me depressed...
So who's with me!?

I love most of the classic rock bands still. Im a big fan of beatles, queen, hendrix, ccr, and doors. All those other genres of music you listed can goto hell!

Beatles, Floyd, Simon and Garfunkle. :thumbs:

Ok, S&G is maybe a bit more folk then rock.

What happened to classic rock? It's in the process of being cheapened by car commercials.

MuToiD_MaN said:
What happened to classic rock? It's in the process of being cheapened by car commercials.

Hehe yeah, well I think Cadillac sales were multiplied by 9999

Anyway, I listen to Led Zeppelin, but not so much as I used to. I was a real fanatic, but now I listen to 80's "wank metal".

Before I disovered Led Zeppelin, I was totally into by Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath got me into classic rock and REAL heavy metal, and I'm glad it did, I can't stand the shit "music" of today. I'm glad I have two of my dad's old Black Sabbath vinyls, I love them.

i still listen to all sorts of classic rock... zeppelin, hendrix, what have you.

I listen to CCR a lot. Totally awesome.

The problem is that mainstream tv shows don't show any decent rock (channels 1-5 in the UK). All they can really show is what's in the charts now, which is hip-hop/rap/crap rock/crap punk/pop.

We need some new bands to emerge that actually play decent music.

I would never say Dark Side of the Moon is overrated. Its just impossible. :D
I still have a good deal of reverence for the classics, and listen to something at least 20 years old daily.

Most of what is considered "classic" suck serious ass for me. As far as I am concerned alot of the stuff those classic bands get recognized for is horrible piece of work.

Led Zeppelin's second side to the fourth album isn't too bad.

Black Sabbath's Paranoid is one bad ass ****ing album.

I love the hits by Queen. Everyone should have a copy of News Of the World.

THe Rolling Stones should have been killed by 1969. I liked or loved everything they did before then. Especially Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Hendrix might not have been a great song writer as much as he was an exceptionally revolutionary guitarist. He deserves every once of credit in pushing music forward. Not to mention the energy he gave in a live performance.

Pink Floyd kinda suck. Besides their first album when Syd Barret was the true focal point of the band. It's a great album called the Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

The Beatles. THe most overrated band of all time. Not saying they made good music. But shit. I'm here to say they are NOT the greatest band in the world.

The Velvet Underground. Now that is a great band to come out of the 60's. Simply the best.

The Byrds aren't too bad. Same with the Beach Boys.

You know Marc Bolan (T. Rex). That dude is the shit. The best man of the glitter rock era.

It's not that there's less classic rock, it's that there's a lot more of everything else.

Back when classic rock wasn't classic yet, they were 60% of mainstream music. a couple hundred subgenres later, and they're only maybe 10%.

Although having listened to classic rock radio non-stop for a year, I can safely say I am now totally sick of it. :p

taeil234 said:
Most of what is considered "classic" suck serious ass for me. As far as I am concerned alot of the stuff those classic bands get recognized for is horrible piece of work.

Led Zeppelin's second side to the fourth album isn't too bad.

Black Sabbath's Paranoid is one bad ass ****ing album.

I love the hits by Queen. Everyone should have a copy of News Of the World.

THe Rolling Stones should have been killed by 1969. I liked or loved everything they did before then. Especially Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Hendrix might not have been a great song writer as much as he was an exceptionally revolutionary guitarist. He deserves every once of credit in pushing music forward. Not to mention the energy he gave in a live performance.

Pink Floyd kinda suck. Besides their first album when Syd Barret was the true focal point of the band. It's a great album called the Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

The Beatles. THe most overrated band of all time. Not saying they made good music. But shit. I'm here to say they are NOT the greatest band in the world.

The Velvet Underground. Now that is a great band to come out of the 60's. Simply the best.

The Byrds aren't too bad. Same with the Beach Boys.

You know Marc Bolan (T. Rex). That dude is the shit. The best man of the glitter rock era.

Ok your comment about Floyd means you will die in the near future. But then again maybe the fact that Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all time and David Gilmour my favorite guitarist of all time affects my opinion. However you cant say they sucked, that is a disgrace to humanity and just wrong, you can say you just couldnt encompass how far fetched they were compared to every other 'normal' 'stereotypical' classic rock band out there but you cant say they sucked. Also David Gilmour helped the band if anything, he was part of the soul, his guitar will make you cry its so good. He knows what notes to play that will bring more emotion then just simple ear pleasure. Comfortably Numb is the greatest guitar solo of all time in my opinion.

I just ****ing love floyd lol. But I love everyone else to ACDC, Hendrix, Doors, Queen, Aerosmith* (that because they are one of my favorites too) Led Zepplin, Stones. Its all great, not just good, but great. Oh yah and Van Halen (during Eddie).

Yeah the state of music is a travesty right now. But I can live with it. It's funny how people become aghast with disbelief when I shoot their idols down.

"Oh how can you say such a thing?"

Cause I can mother ****er. I refuse to understand why you don't love music I listen to so why should I for whatever you listen to.

P.S. Van Halen might have skill but the dude has no style. Along with that one fag, Steve Vai. Guys like Brian May and Frank Zappa did it before and better at it too. Actaully I really hate music soley based on how good a dude can create a guitar solo when it isn't even that great to listen to it anyway. Besides Hendrix. But guys should work on writing great songs instead relying solely on technical skill. I'd rather listen to a Beach Boys tune than one by Randy Rhodes any day. That's what I liked about punk rock of the 1970's era.

As for the comment about Led Zeppelin. Yeah Black Dog and Rock and Roll are real good songs, but songs like Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven should have ended by the 3 minute mark.

are you nuts? Randy Rhodes was an amazing guitarist its a tragedy that he died so early so his full potential could never be seen or realized. And Stairway To Heaven never would have been the amazing song it is if it was only 3 minutes long.

Yeah, not only was Randy a good guitarist, he was also a brilliant songwriter. He had good knowledge on music theory, and chord harmonies. Randy had a lot more feeling in his playing than Eddie Van Halen for instance

He probably wouldn't have continued with Ozzy much longer though, maybe one or two albums. He wanted to concentrate fully on classical guitar.

All those bands were severely overrated except for CCR and Led Zep.
Only good musicians in those bands, groundbreaking...
Besides, in 30 years or so, people will call Linkin Park and all your random angsty suicidal teen bullshit classic rock. Or something like that. Because it's in the past, and alot of people liked it. Wow.

They'll probably only really be considered classic if they're seen as having pushed the art style forward or in a new direction. Probably not that likely.

SenorDingDong said:
are you nuts? Randy Rhodes was an amazing guitarist its a tragedy that he died so early so his full potential could never be seen or realized. And Stairway To Heaven never would have been the amazing song it is if it was only 3 minutes long.

Yes I must be crazy.

"Stairway... DENIED!" - Wayne's World

Back