What Happened to Barney??????

Seriously, who cares about him now?
He already ran outta crowbars to give to Gordon

^^^ I definitely care. Barney was a great companion and really helped bring the player a sense of what the world has become after your little trip to Xen. Plus his frequent comical comments are excellent.

Seriously, who cares about him now?
He already ran outta crowbars to give to Gordon

Hmm...Barney gave Gordon his crowbar in HL2, then again in Ep1. In Ep2 Gordon finds a conveniently placed crowbar holding up an elevator.
Tis a sign!

He went to go find the mystical beer he owed you. In Antarctica.

In Ep 3, you find a corpse wearing a civil protection's suit and holding a
Coors Light under the just landed helly-copter.
Ironic.

He got tired of waiting for Gordon to be free to go for that beer.

So he's having it with Shephard!!1

Barney's train crashed. You remember that scene in the trailer, with Alyx hanging from the tracks? How the commentary said they scrapped it to set up a better introduction for the hunters? They didn't scrap it entirely; they reused it and substituted Barney for Alyx.

He thought of Gordon and the beer he owed him in his last pitiable moments before falling to his death.

He's not dead, he's undercover. He infiltrated the remaining Combine forces HQ wearing a purple dinosaur disguise. Oh no! another spoiler... sorry everybody.

I do belive he got all the beers he owed Gordon, but couldn't find him. This led to him taking the train back to City 17 to share it with all the refugees who somehow were still there. He was so drunk, that he fell into the destroyed Citadel's reactor and was vaporised into another dimension, thus creating the Combine SuperPortal.

Barney's train crashed. You remember that scene in the trailer, with Alyx hanging from the tracks? How the commentary said they scrapped it to set up a better introduction for the hunters? They didn't scrap it entirely; they reused it and substituted Barney for Alyx.

Yes, i've listened to the commentary and they mention nothing regarding any other train. There is only one wrecked train and it was your train. Not Barney's.

Also, Valve is incredibly good at their attention to detail. The chances of them killing off Barney without any mention of it in the game is next to zero.

He thought of Gordon and the beer he owed him in his last pitiable moments before falling to his death.

... all this talk about beer. Man i can use a cold one right about now.

I'm not quite up to par on current events... but what exactly was stated by Valve?

It was in an interview with Marc Laidlaw... I think you can find it on the main website somewhere.

And yes, they mentioned beer.

... :angel:

Yes, i've listened to the commentary and they mention nothing regarding any other train. There is only one wrecked train and it was your train. Not Barney's.

Also, Valve is incredibly good at their attention to detail. The chances of them killing off Barney without any mention of it in the game is next to zero.
They didn't mention it in the commentary; it was a currently-confirmed event. I was simply stating about the commentary because it was relevant.

Also, Valve has attention to detail but they never spoonfeed you the story--you have to go out and find out plot points by yourself. And they did mention it in the game: after the strider battle in White Forest, you hear Barney's disembodied voice congratulate you. Check the subtitles when you play through the game. He's a ghost now.

I snagged this from another forum:

Dear Ben,

Thanks for writing. I'm afraid I can't give out any information about
Barney's whereabouts at this time. I believe there is one citizen at
White Forest who mentions he was on the train that got out just in time,
but not even he makes mention of Barney. (Maybe he didn't know Barney's
name.) Rather thoughtless, I agree. It's good to know Barney has fans
who care about what became of him!

Yours,
Marc Laidlaw

To try and clear this thing up, I shot an e-mail over to Valve about the status of Barney. But I just don't see Valve killing Barney off without any mention of this in the games themselves considering he has been a part of the Half Life universe since the very beginning.

If they completely left Mossman out of Episode 3, it would be no different than your scenario with Barney dying without explanation in the game.

Anyways, I'll post up a reply to my e-mail if it's answered.

And they did mention it in the game: after the strider battle in White Forest, you hear Barney's disembodied voice congratulate you. Check the subtitles when you play through the game. He's a ghost now.

Marc Laidlaw has already said that one of the rebels @ White Forest mentions that he (the rebel, not barney) was on the last train out of City 17 that barely made it.

And considering Gordon's train left quite a bit later, I'd definitely think Barney is still alive and kickin'.

When you are attacked by a Advisor in Ep3, Barney will appear shouted the words "Hey, hey you, eat lead you outerspace slug monster!"

Marc Laidlaw has already said that one of the rebels @ White Forest mentions that he (the rebel, not barney) was on the last train out of City 17 that barely made it.
That rebel made it. Barney did not. He dead, that's why Laidlaw can't talk about his whereabouts. If he said where Barney 'was,' he'd have to go into the subject of the afterlife, wouldn't he?

Well.... I will have to say that Marc Laidlaw is incredibly prompt in returning e-mails.

Dear Andrew,

We have learned that answering individual letters to fans does not ever clear up anything in the HL2 fan community. Short of a public announcement regarding Barney's fate, nothing will reach all the people, and nobody will believe anything you say I said to you. So resolution of this matter will have to wait until it is made officially--and the only way these things ever become official is when they are in the game.

Regards,
-Marc Laidlaw

edit: By the sounds of things, it would seem that Marc Laidlaw has not definitively answered the question of Barney's fate in any interviews. We'll all have to wait till Episode 3 to find out about Barney. But by the looks of things, he is more than likely alive and will enter the game at a very opportune moment.

Heck... for all we know he went north with Mossman.

Barney propablly isnt at white forest, and may not be until long after Gordon and Alyx leave.

Well.... I will have to say that Marc Laidlaw is incredibly prompt in returning e-mails.

edit: By the sounds of things, it would seem that Marc Laidlaw has not definitively answered the question of Barney's fate in any interviews. We'll all have to wait till Episode 3 to find out about Barney. But by the looks of things, he is more than likely alive and will enter the game at a very opportune moment.

Heck... for all we know he went north with Mossman.

That's funny, he said to me in an email that Barney was killed by hunters, I'll try to find it.

That wasn't the real Marc Laidlaw, Andrew. The man who responded to you is a fake, or an advanced automated response e-mailer.

I know, because I have the real Marc Laidlaw in my basement and after thirteen hours of flogging him with a wet dishrag he conceded that Barney is dead. He also agreed that Adrian Shepherd crashed the osprey, G-man's briefcase is filled with commemorative plates, Dr. Breen returns as a robot and after another good hour and change he promised that Slick will be eviscerated by houndeyes.

Oh jesus god no, not Slick! He's too slick to die!

Don't think I won't come over there! That's what Laidlaw thought!

That's funny, he said to me in an email that Barney was killed by hunters, I'll try to find it.

Well.... I sent an e-mail thanking Marc for his prompt and informative reply and just received the following response:

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for your understanding.

(PS: Barney lives.)

-Marc

:LOL:

Haha, Darkside, I can't believe you went there...

Well.... I sent an e-mail thanking Marc for his prompt and informative reply and just received the following response:
Dear Andrew,

You suck, and we've put you on our banned list on the Steam network.

(PS: Barney gets eaten by a bullsquid.)

-Mark Laydlaw

Fixed.

BARNEY IS IN EPISODE TWO I FOUND HIM!

When you're fighting the Striders, when you're meant to go to the sawmill before the battle starts, instead, go to the place to the right of it with all the supplies. Walk inside the building and look to your left.

Now, walk out of the building and look to your right.

Then quit the game, reload it, and go to This Vortal Coil. Then quit the game and give me $1000 and then Barney will appear the next time you load up the game and yell 'HELLO HOMIE GET OFF MY TURF I WILL NOW SHOOT YOU LOLROFL'.

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for your understanding.

(PS: Barney lives... in our hearts.)

-Marc

There, this is exactly what he meant.

He can't tell anyone where Barney is because it would blow his cover. If the Combine finds where he is he would be tortured by being forced to play with cats :cat:

Barney's corpse was found in the middle of a resistance HQ, which is safe and well protected. No one knows the cause of his death. The only possible evidence to the cause of his demise are..
Scratch marks over his body..

Marc is just in denial, email him in a few weeks when he has accepted Barney's fate.

Guys, guys... Barney already died in Half-Life 1(and more than once)!!! The guy in HL2 is just an android made by Dr. Kleiner. Gordon isn't that easy in trusting people, so Kleiner thought it would be easier for Gordon to get involved in the resistance if one of his old buddies joined too. The next time you play HL2 have a look at how Barney moves... I find it rather... odd, sometimes(turning without moving his legs, anyone?). Only an android(or other not-human thing) is able to manoeuvre like that!

Greetings,

PS: I'm new on this board, so please be gentle :p !

When Barney and Gordon finally get to set down and have that beer.

*Gordon sitting at the bar with Barney*
*Barney puts away a few beers chugalug style* *belches*
*Barney eats old bar peanuts*
"Are you gonna enjoy your beer Gordon?"
*Gordon lifts the beer mug to drink*

*screen pauses*

*In walks Gman*

"Sorry Mr Freeman, not to say you cant drink on the job but you still have work to do"

I think Barney is still alive. Someone like Barney deserves to have atleast a respectable onscreen death.

Back