What have been some of valves biggest mistakes?

I don't think that their biggest mistake is at all "not doing episode 3 yet." I think Valve's biggest mistake was setting themselves up to do more half life with the episodes and especially the ending to episode 2. I think Valve is best when it's doing crazy, creative and new things. If they hadn't backed themselves into a corner where more Half Life was so strongly expected and wanted, they could have said years ago that they were moving on for the time being to work on newer stuff and (almost) noone would have blamed them for that. Instead everyone's stupidly wound up about wanting the game and meanwhile everyone working on HL3 stuff is under stupidly enormous pressure to make the best game ever instead of just making what they want to make.

Well put cheesepie - that is exactly the reason that the episodic model was such a failure for Valve. I suspect it's also the reason for HL3's delay... the amount of pressure is enormous. The only other game I can think of which had such a massive legacy to live up to was Starcraft 2, and that took what 12 years to come out?

Ricochet-Logo.jpg

Just kidding. Kinda.

I came here to say that :p

*deep sigh of nostalgia* those were the days....

Q4J3kz1.jpg

- Like Barnz said, they killed Day of Defeat and that is a truly unforgivable sin since that's probably my favorite MP FPS of all time.

- I demand Ricochet 2.
Good news! Gabe recently said he was interested in potentially revisiting Ricochet and Day of Defeat.

He better. I loved old school Ricochet, I still load it up sometimes (and my friends sometimes LAN it, although it's been years...)

I would sacrifice my firstborn son to the fires of Mount Doom if it would get me Day of Defeat 2 though.

He better. I loved old school Ricochet, I still load it up sometimes (and my friends sometimes LAN it, although it's been years...)

I would sacrifice my firstborn son to the fires of Mount Doom if it would get me Day of Defeat 2 though.

I would too... I would sacrifice your first born son for a new Day of Defeat as well...

Back