What is the 7 years war? Plus ending dissapointing.

Reaction score
What is this 7 years war everyone keeps mentioning? Did i miss something?

Also am I the only person who thought the ending was a bit dissapointing. Sure the time pause thing was very clever but still, breen didn't even go out with a bang or a scream.

Yes, I found it quite dissapointing, it didn't explain anything and was too sudden. We should at least have got to see the explosion finish to see how much it blew up.

I'm sure it was done on purpose in order to give Half-Life 3 lots of things to reveal. I like how mysterious and abrupt this ending is. Makes you immediately want HL3.

Basically, for more information about the 7 hour war, check the newspaper board in Eli's Lab. It has lots of information about this.

The short and the sweet is that the Combine citadels appeared in each major city and completely decimated the Earth militaries. (Mind you, most people had congregated in cities soon after the resonance cascade happened, on account of the presence of hostile xenofauna such as head-crabs and bullsquids in the hard to defend rural and suburban areas.)

The Combine achieved complete surprise and crushed the Earth's forces, paving the way for Doctor Breen to "Negotiate" a "Truce" with the Combine which gave him power, and enslaved humanity.

Back