What is this BS??? ATI levels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both ATI and Nvidia make super duper bad to the bone video cards (I've owned both). :thumbs: When I buy my next one I'll buy whatever card has the most bang for the buck (like I always have). Right now meh overclocked 6800 gt is cutting through games like butta. :)

EHHHHHHHHHH im a proud nvidia owner...and gabe said it requires a HIGH END graphics card naming the 6800 or X800 seems pretty logical...both cards are great :)

asd-hl said:
Well nvidia cards are crap. You should buy a real card instead. ATI :D Anyway this game is supported by ATI so no wonder users get the ATI bonuses. Maybe if nvidia would bother it would make some DooM3 levels :D ( Anyway i think even if they are ATIs only there would be a "fix" soon. If of course these levels dont use some great features available only on ATIs cards like 3Dc texture compression.

ATI may have better hardware, but their drivers are crap. I have a 9600XT. I've lived with them.

one day.... said:
Maybe i was a bit direct at first :p

Should have elaborated more.I just feel that both nvidia and ati are bastards sometimes,i mean whats with all this 'the way its meant to be played ' crap aswell? Consumers should not be punished for choosing a specific type of card.I do love my 6800 GT though,i have had no probs with it so far and it runs HL2 so well on max settings,which is basically the main reason i upgraded to such an expensive card.

Just hope there are some extras for us all coming as i loved HL2 but damn is it short.
My 9800xt runs it on max settings too. I dont think you get punished for buying either (except geforce5s because theyre not even really dx9 cards). Nowadays theyre both good imo. If you get shit cards send them back but it can happen with both companies.

Ahnteis said:
ATI may have better hardware, but their drivers are crap. I have a 9600XT. I've lived with them.
Yeah 2 years ago.. theres nothing wrong with their drivers now or am i missing something?

House said:
That's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. Why polarize the gaming community based on what video card they're using? since when do video card manufacturers dictate gaming content for end users. that is completely ****ed up. i smell a big fat lawsuit if this should occur.

And please, show me the law that would make this illegal? Especially if it is a free bonus...

Anyways, they would be stupid to restrict it to ATI cards, so I highly doubt they will anyways.

(Nvidia does suck though)

Dr. Freeman said:
by the time these "Ati levels" are made available, the X800's and 6800's will no longer be the tog dog either...so yeah those who own X800's and 6800's can rub it in all they want right now... but even they will in the same position as the 9800 Pro card owners :p
agreed.

kurtmax_0 said:
And please, show me the law that would make this illegal? Especially if it is a free bonus...

Anyways, they would be stupid to restrict it to ATI cards, so I highly doubt they will anyways.

(Nvidia does suck though)

You just answered your own question. If its free then all who purchased HL2 should be entitled to it. Not just ATI users.

Personally, I am oppposed to the idea of the "ATI Levels" being open to owners of ATI cards only. And bear in mind, that I AM an ATI card owner. I simply do NOT like the idea of gamer companies making content for only 1 type of card (and let's face it, sooner or later if they all start this, we will, ALL be on the short end of the stick at some point, with some game we like). I think this is a very bad trend, and if the ATI levels are really ATI only, I will not get them, because I do not want to support this.

As for ATI vs Nvidia, they have both produced good cards and great cards, but I have my own reasons for currently bearing a grudge against Nvidia. I bought a FX series card (That I spent a LOT of money on), which was touted as being a DX-9 card, but EVERY DX-9 game pwnt it badly because of the pixel shader issues -- so I spent a WAD of cash on what was claimed to be a great card, when in fact, it was a half-assed attempt by Nvidia to toss out a card without the necessary hardware, and still make money on it.

I had owned Nvidia for every single GFX card before that one, and I only owned that card 1 month before getting rid of it, and having to spend a wad of cash (again) for my 9600XT. My 9600XT has served me very well, aged well, and STILL plays HL2 will all goodies on. While ATI has not always had the greatest cards, I have never felt betrayed by them (or heard of others that felt this way). I still feel that Nvidia betrayed our trust with the FX series just to make a buck. Currently, if I had the money, I would get an X800 over any Nvidia card, just because I trust ATI with my money more now. There's my 2 cents on both things.

And please, people on the forum, if you take the time to form an opinion (and hopefully you did, and are not just repeating random fanboy gibberish) explain WHY you have this opinion... So that the rest of us can learn and make more informed decisions, and maybe, actually form some new opinions (or at least confirm out existing ones).

Reaktor4 said:
Yeah 2 years ago.. theres nothing wrong with their drivers now or am i missing something?

Besides the fact that the 9600XT wasn't out two years ago? (See original quote.)

ATI drivers are still inferior to Nvidia based on my RECENT experience. You may or may not have the same problems I've had.

I wasnt talking about the 9600xt, i was talking about the drivers in general. I have not had any problems with them. And i dont remember hearing about any major problems since ati got their act together.

Ahnteis said:
Besides the fact that the 9600XT wasn't out two years ago? (See original quote.)

ATI drivers are still inferior to Nvidia based on my RECENT experience. You may or may not have the same problems I've had.

What problems did you mean??

In my experience, ATI does a great job with thier drivers (I can play HL2 beautifully on a card from "two years ago" thanks to them. And the problems I have had with Nvidia (see my earlier post) were not fixable with drivers, since the card's hardware was limited. I personally think both ATI and Nvidia have good drivers for thier cards, and I like the new Nvidia cards, but they have not redeemed themselves (In my eyes) for the FX series of cards.

This has just become an Nvidia vs ATi religious war/flame-orgy..

The ati levels are basically interactive 3DMark2005's they're not plot adding or anything (AFAIK) and they're just to mess around with if you have a high-end card. Would you complain if a fan made maps that would only work on high end cards? no.. you wouldnt download it. Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back