What Makes Half-Life 2 Better Then Other First Person Shooters!

Kschreck

Reaction score
May Contain Spoliers (You Probably Know All Of This Already Though)

Story:

Hardly any games are good without a story. Valve knew this since the beginning. Half-Life 1 was one of the first first person shooters to deliver an emersive storyline that sucks you in. Half-Life 2 looks to continue the tradition. From what Valve have told us, it's about ten years in the future and your a prisoner. The combine have taken control of City 17 (And maybe the rest of the world) and you start a rebellion against the Combine. They may or may not be aliens (I think they are). You start off on a train into City 17. You notice the horrible life conditions that people have to endure. You later, after starting the rebellion meet up with a few allies. Alyx Vance and Eli Vance. Who work with you to try and save City 17 (Possibly The World). Then you have Alyx's pet dog (Shown in concept art) who is kind of like a robotic helper. Also Barney Calhoun and Gregory are here to help. Thats just a taste of whats known so far.

Physics And GamePlay:

Half-Life 2 is coming soon. The next wave of E3 footage was awesome. Everything in Half-Life 2 is nothing less then amazing. Awesome graphics, sound, gameplay, level design, ETC, but what I think adds a whole new GamePlay element into Half-Life 2 is the physics system. After watching the part in the E3 2004 video where Gordon took a paint can and shot it ad the wall using the gravity gun, I knew right then and there that the physics were really going to play an important part of Half-Life 2. Usually with other first person shooters, you have one option. Go in and neutralize the enemy. Half-Life 2 is taking that to a new level. Using the environment against the enemy will make Half-Life 2 a new and exciting gameplay experience. Simple things like shoot a barrel at a zombie and watch them burn to death gives a sort of pleasure to playing the game. Or how about dismembering a zombie with a saw blade. I think I could have a lot of fun just playing around with the physics. The weapons look awesome even though both GameSpot and IGN didn't like them.

Sound:

It's all good here. The sound in Half-Life 2 was perfect and set the mood for all the disasters that had happend in Black Mesa. Half-Life 2 is doing the same. More creepy music for more creepy environment.

Character Art And Design:

Half-Life 1 had great characters and design. Everything about the game was awesome. I specially like what they did with Half-Life 2. All the characters fit into the environment. Adding the the realistic sci-fi storyline.

A.I.:

I remembering playing Half-Life and having all the soldiers runing and hiding in the stairwell. The A.I. back then was awesome, surpassing any game available at the time. Now the A.I. in Half-Life 2 is even more impressive. Enemies react to the enviroments. They know have the ability to plan their attack. As shown in the early Traptown video.

Level Design:

One of the biggest things that make Half-Life 2 is the huge environments you get to travel through. Each looking totally different from the previous. It's boring when your playing a game and ever level looks the same. Shows that the developers skimped probably just to make a quick release to make some money. Thats not a problem with Half-Life 2.

Overall:

I know this has all been said before, but Half-Life 2 is so friggin awesome and thats why we all stay around dispite the delays. Even with the game being delayed over and over were all still here. Eager to play the next revolution of gaming. Even Steam seems to be working nicely these days. I use to dislike Steam, but now I use it. I hope Valve releases Blue Shift and Gunman Chronicles on Steam so I can have the entire set on one platform. Though some of you may be mad at Valves tactics, you guys are STILL going to buy the game, because you know it's going to be awesome. Half-Life 2 delivers such an organic feel to the Half-Life universe making it seem almost as if your actually living the experience.

What is your favorite "New Feature" in Half-Life 2?

Advance Graphics?
Advance Physics?
Awesome Story?
Awesome Sound?
What?

Half-Life 2 :sniper: The Competition

Half-Life 2 Will Own All!!!

I like it because you point your gun at things and then shoot them.

You sure are excited.. you won't be as excited when you see some of the old time hl2 awaiters.. it's not a pretty sight.

It will be better because it will be more fun than other FPS games...which we don't know yet. :p

Um...nothing.

Considering we haven't played the game yet, so we have no idea.

ugh, don't try and get me excited prematurely, i'm trying to hybernate my excitement until the game is released so I may explode while I play it..

It's the best becouse many of us decided it would be whether or not it is. ;)

Greg Coomer said:
Another reason: HL2 has Striders.

Eek! Look at the quality of that strider!! That has gotta be like 6X AA on that pic! 1500X2000!!! *Drools and drowns in his own drool*

Then look at the directory name where the pic is located.
http://www.half-life2.com/secret/strider.jpg
Damn that forbidden message!
We better convert all our Easter Egg finders to name generating.jpgs! WE MUST FIND ALL THE SECRETS!!!!

Haha, I been trying since he posted it. No luck yet. I'll let you know. ;)

Greg Coomer said:
Another reason: HL2 has Striders.

Is that ingame or is that concept art? either way i don't care, its nice to see a Strider upclose in good detail. Thank you :D

Dedatorv said:
Eek! Look at the quality of that strider!! That has gotta be like 6X AA on that pic! 1500X2000!!! *Drools and drowns in his own drool*

Then look at the directory name where the pic is located.
http://www.half-life2.com/secret/strider.jpg
Damn that forbidden message!
We better convert all our Easter Egg finders to name generating.jpgs! WE MUST FIND ALL THE SECRETS!!!!

No, it's called a "render" - which is done in a 3d program.

Hey Greg, do you think it's possible for you to jump on a machine, crank the HL2 settings to their absolute maximum (AA on it's max setting and all the lovely dx9 settings on full) , use your cinematographical skills etc, and take an extremely kickass high res screenshot?! I'm saying this because we haven't really had any awesome screenshots since last year.

Last year we got this shot which is sex incarnate http://www.halflife2.net/image_files/screenshots/11.jpg

Then this year the resized screen shots that got released with the magazine interviews caused a tidal wave of whinging on these forums that the graphics are crudful. Is that allowed or will there be spankings from Gabe?

$niper said:
No, it's called a "render" - which is done in a 3d program.

Render or in-game, its still possible to look that good.

Hehe, I think we reached our Coomer screenshot limit for the day :LOL:

Valve makes Half-Life 2 better than any game EVAR.
And i don't just mean they make the game, but the way they "get" the community. They are the only company i know of who you can just mail a question and get a response, mostly within the hour even! Try that with any other, and you'll get nothin'.

I mean Counter-Strike had it's 5th year anniversary today. What other game with that many players can say that?

Synthaxx R-or said:
I mean Counter-Strike had it's 5th year anniversary today. What other game with that many players can say that?

Except Valve didn't make Counter-Strike, so it has little to do with the success of HL2.

Neutrino said:
Except Valve didn't make Counter-Strike, so it has little to do with the success of HL2.

I was using this as an example of how Valve treats it's rabid fanbase. And by the way, the people who made Counter-Strike now work at valve, so there! :p

I didn't know it was Counter-Strike's fifth anniversary. Wasn't Half-Life's fifth anniversary not long ago?

OT: Great pic Greg. That's the best pic of the strider that I have seen since I first witnessed it in this pic...

First Ever Pic Of The Strider

Why is Half-life 2 better than any other FPS...well for one, I don't think any other game has been so hyped up. Also I really like the fact that there are no cutscenes within the game. You are ALWAYS a part of the game and never watching a "Movie". Also, How you can pick up anything and shoot it with very satisfying results. I could go on and on about Physics, Graphics, Story and...STRIDERS!! as the one of the Valve team has stated.

My Summery is....I'm not a Half-life fanboy and I don't praise the game as a god (and I'm not saying anyone else is doing that also,) Just....once I saw the videos from E3 2003....I was literally HOOKED to this game and even more intrigued about the team that have made it. To make a game like this or to even conceive a game like this needs great effort and insane work efforts to accomplish such a feat. And of course we cannot forget about....MODS! This game will probably be the most mod friendly game on the planet. The teams that are making the mods, are getting me as well as all the other people on this site extremely excited and once we see them, are jaws will drop in awe to the increadible source engine and how it can manipulate objects in a computer world..just like in the real world.

All we have to do is to wait for that one day....that one day that I believe that will change the history of games and the history of mods. The Valve software team is one of the greatest computer game manufactors in the world. And so I say this....Let the Valve team have time to complete the game...let us fans and fanboys be patient and once that day comes, lets hope we don't break our computers or cause steam to crash, due to our excitment within our blood. And so I salute the Valve team for being a real part of the community on many internet sites and forums around the world and being the only major game company to answer at least a Gigabyte of fan mail. Let the Journey begin. :dozey:

I hope valve has very cool vehicles up their sleeve, Bungie's vehicle making talent might just make the vehicles so good (believe me - I've seen the shadow) that it might turn out the better FPS of the two.

And I know people who love Halo just for the vehicles. If the strider is drivable, bungie will finally have competition!

Two things easily.

Characters and Narrative, no other shooter has so much than Half Life.

Imagine if Far Cry had a decent story with decent characters. tough wise cracking hard man with big tits woman with mad sciencist.

Wow, ground breaking

Can anyone write a program that tries every possible combination for filenames on that site?

I mean, if we have a maximum of 20 characters for the filename and 37 possibilities for each (26 letters, 10 numbers and a space), then there are only 37^20 possibilities.

lans said:
Bungie's vehicle making talent might just make the vehicles so good (believe me - I've seen the shadow) that it might turn out the better FPS of the two.

Halo 2 is an Xbox game, ergo no mouse and no keyboard. Safe too say it's no competition.
Who ever thought of playing an FPS with a joystick anyway? It's like having sex in one of those blow up sumo costumes...

PvtRyan said:
Can anyone write a program that tries every possible combination for filenames on that site?

I mean, if we have a maximum of 20 characters for the filename and 37 possibilities for each (26 letters, 10 numbers and a space), then there are only 37^20 possibilities.

You do realise just how big a number 37^20 is, don't you?

Synthaxx R-or said:
Halo 2 is an Xbox game, ergo no mouse and no keyboard. Safe too say it's no competition.
Who ever thought of playing an FPS with a joystick anyway? It's like having sex in one of those blow up sumo costumes...

Just because it uses a joystick it doesn't mean it's no competition.

Someone needs to check this out: :rolleyes:

http://www.gamestats.com/

I really dont think greg/valve would be stupid enough to leave any of the other potential pics open - they are probably just having a laugh :LOL: at the number of people who look for

nakedalyx.jpg :E
gorbotF.jpg
manhack.jpg
ichtiyosor.jpg
combine.jpg
metrocop.jpg
crowbar.jpg

etc etc etc...

+ I think half life 2 will be the best game ever because it will seem more rich emotionally than any other game ever. the charachterisation it TRULY revolutionary and I think people will be surprised at just how much it draws them in.

Nice post, i enjoyed reading it.

I am taking the story for granted, it was awsome in hl1 anyway.
I'll go for the advanced physics.

Brian Damage said:
You do realise just how big a number 37^20 is, don't you?

Is "^" the same as "*" ?

Like so: 37 * 20 = 740 :)

ne-waller said:
+ I think half life 2 will be the best game ever because it will seem more rich emotionally than any other game ever. the charachterisation it TRULY revolutionary and I think people will be surprised at just how much it draws them in.

The engine powering sudeki the xbox rpg boasts realistic facial expression technology - it's very good but not as good as valves'.However, sudeki is a cartoony game so it's far from looking realistic, anyway.

Back