What Makes Half-Life 2 Better Then Other First Person Shooters!

lans said:
Just because it uses a joystick it doesn't mean it's no competition.
IMHO it does, if I want to play a racing, fighting, adventure or platform game i'll play it on my PS2 or GameCube (no i don't own an Xbox, i allready have a PC). But FPS games will always belong on the PC. Always have and probably always will (except for the odd PS2 FPS wich support USB mouse and keyb).

Synthaxx R-or said:
IMHO it does, if I want to play a racing, fighting, adventure or platform game i'll play it on my PS2 or GameCube (no i don't own an Xbox, i allready have a PC). But FPS games will always belong on the PC. Always have and probably always will (except for the odd PS2 FPS wich support USB mouse and keyb).

That is your personal opinion, but critics and many (gamestats.com proves this) other people (including me) who can bear joysticks think it stands very well in competition with other FPSes. Just becuase you don't like it's controls doesn't mean the game is not in the competition, in general (I'm not talking about ones opinion now).

MindCrafter said:
Is "^" the same as "*" ?

Like so: 37 * 20 = 740 :)

In two words? Shit. No.

37^20 = Thirty Seven to the Power of Twenty.

Ie: Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven.

Which is BIG.

Brian Damage said:
In two words? Shit. No.

37^20 = Thirty Seven to the Power of Twenty.

Ie: Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven times Thirty Seven.

Which is BIG.

Hey, i just asked. I didn't have a clue about what "^" was, thank you :)

Edit:
So this is 37^20? Hey i just learned something new!
37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 = ???

MindCrafter said:

Edit:
37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 * 37 = ???

23122483666661158726686253786801, I believe. Ok I don't know why there is a space between the 8 and the 0....

37^20 = 23122483666661158726686253786801.

That's twenty-three nonillian, one hundred and twenty-two octillian, four hundred and eighty-three septillian, six hundred and sixty-six sexillian, six hundred and sixty-one quintillian, one hundred and fifty-eight quadrillion, seven hundred and twenty-six trillion, six hundred and eighty-six billion, two hundred and fifty-three million, seven hundred and eighty-six thousand, eight hundred and one.

Wildhound said:

That's twenty-three nonillian, one hundred and twenty-two octillian, four hundred and eighty-three septillian, six hundred and sixty-six sexillian, six hundred and sixty-one quintillian, one hundred and fifty-eight quadrillion, seven hundred and twenty-six trillion, six hundred and eighty-six billion, two hundred and fifty-three million, seven hundred and eighty-six thousand, eight hundred and one.

Why would anyone need such a big number??

Yes, "37^20" is 23 122 483 666 661 158 726 686 253 786 801...I wish I had that much money.

MindCrafter said:

Edit:

Sorry for being emphatic.

Wildhound said:

OH MY GOD!!!!

Well, who wants to get started? :LOL:

Well to make things all fair, Divide 23122483666661158726686253786801 by 14145(Members) and we get 1634675409449357280076794187.8262

So everysingle member only has to do a measly 1634675409449357280076794187.8262 randomly generated names! Start now and we could easily finish before Half-Life 2 comes out!

lans said:
I hope valve has very cool vehicles up their sleeve, Bungie's vehicle making talent might just make the vehicles so good (believe me - I've seen the shadow) that it might turn out the better FPS of the two.

And I know people who love Halo just for the vehicles. If the strider is drivable, bungie will finally have competition!

UT2k4 has better vehicles.

HL2 is better cuz

is the continuation of Half-life!

thats enough reazon!

Wildhound said:

WHOA! Didn't know numbers had names that high up :D Cool. Hope you didn't make all that up...

Half life will be great if it comes out. it's not out yet so it's not great. It's potentially great.

i dont mean to start anything, but the striders in these pics dont seem to be mechanic to me, more alien. :-/

Alec_85 said:
WHOA! Didn't know numbers had names that high up :D Cool. Hope you didn't make all that up...

LOL! I didn't make them up. Those are their names.

ShadowFox said:
UT2k4 has better vehicles.

No way (unless u like vehicles that feel like tiny, weightless models)

To get back on topic .......... I think it's the way that Half Life was so story driven that sets it apart from other shooters. No other title has produced such a convincing game world imo. Like with all good books and movies, HL took you a journey that was believable and captivating. The pacing was perfect :)

a journey, lol, it was a good game to play until you beat it after a week or so. Really, it wasn't anything shakespearian or speilbergian, it was a game with a hook ending. HL2 has nice graphics, that is all I care about (and the MP)

The story in HL2 is what im looking forward to. It looks like its going to be a really intriguing plot

Dalamari said:
a journey, lol, it was a good game to play until you beat it after a week or so. Really, it wasn't anything shakespearian or speilbergian, it was a game with a hook ending. HL2 has nice graphics, that is all I care about (and the MP)
A lot of people would disagree with you there.. I still play single player HL today.. it's probably my favorite game of all time, even above other favorites such as Deus Ex. It had what many, many games lack. Atmosphere.

Exactly, the atmosphere in Half-Life can still beat the atmosphere in alot of the new games today (Far Cry)

For me honestly it was when I was scared because I was surprised by a headcrab. How many games of that time actually scared you? Doom wasn't scary.

It was the sudden suprise and sense of danger that made the game great. Everything else was gravy. The scientist deaths were imaginitive and ground breaking for the time. Like the one at the begining of the game where he falls off of the train platform.

YOU CAUSE his death by complete accident. "GORDEN!!! GORDEN!!! STAY back. AAARRRRHHHHHHGGGG" he falls like 40 feet and is eaten by aliens.

If you don't realise that this is Half-Life's heart then you don't know what your talking about. To have strong emotions about a NPC was a first.

Warbie said:
No way (unless u like vehicles that feel like tiny, weightless models)

Not necessarily. But I do prefer turning the vehicles with my keyboard WAY over turning with the mouse.

the ATMOSPHERE was great, the story only started at the middle when the marines showed up, and even then no real shocking dialogue. There is a definate line between atmosphere and story.

Dalamari said:
the ATMOSPHERE was great, the story only started at the middle when the marines showed up, and even then no real shocking dialogue. There is a definate line between atmosphere and story.
I can partially agree. It wasn't just the story but the storytelling that was so amazing.

wonkers said:
How many games of that time actually scared you? Doom wasn't scary.

Doom was actually the only game I have ever played that made me feel uneasy (other then the jump, got ya feel of AVP).
Why is this? And why not the new, more modern, more 'scary' games?
I don't think Doom3 will make me feel as doom did.
Its the lack of controls on your character, no jumping, no crouching, unrealistic running speeds. The way the levels were portrayed with the limits of the engine, the crappy art. All these things are like a crazy dream...
Todays games are more 'realistic' and for me that kills any fear or unease that I have.
its strange, but for me the more realistic the games strive to be, the less fearsome they actually turn out. That crazy dream of Doom style existance is so far from the truth, so outragous to have buildings that are made out of the one texture with no doors that it actually tiggers something in my mind. Somewhere in my subconcious that makes me ever so uneasy in playing the game.
If that made any sense.

Just like Blood with its old and crappy graphics draws my in to playing it again and again...something I can't put my finger on that these older games with their unrealistic nature that makes me feel something special for them.

Half-life never scared me...but I feel that Half-Life 2 might intrigue my mind as Blood and Doom did in the past...

im looking forward to the install program, i have a feeling its going to be a real treat

oldagerocker said:
i dont mean to start anything, but the striders in these pics dont seem to be mechanic to me, more alien. :-/

Wow. Nice to know that someone else has spotted the biomechanical nature of the Striders. Also, the Gunship appears similar. The Dropship, if it's anything like its concept art when it's in the game, seems even more so.

For me the facial animation system is the most outstanding feature of Source over other next generation engines.

Brian Damage said:
Wow. Nice to know that someone else has spotted the biomechanical nature of the Striders. Also, the Gunship appears similar. The Dropship, if it's anything like its concept art when it's in the game, seems even more so.

If you look at it, you can clearly see bones, and muscles, especially in the exposed leg joints.

For me (as well as what many others have said), HL and HL2's best "thing" is atmosphere and story.

Seems like FPS's are a dime a dozen these days, but how many games can you play where the only object is to kill everything that moves and just get from point a to point b? Sorry, but for me that gets old old old. It's up there with scary/horror movies where there is no plot, but rather body count. Yay *yawn* Been there, done that, time and time again.

Give me a game with a good plot and a good reason to be killing the bad guys, and actual goals and purposes and I'll be happy. I don't care if the tech is all state of the art or not because eye candy also gets pretty old pretty fast.

On a side note: I hope someday, someone will put together a true horror game with a plot. It's one thing this genre really doesn't have (maybe SS2 is closest?) And no, Doom3 doesn't count. It's pretty clearly just graphics and cheap scares. I want one with a true plot and reason behind things...not just things jumping out from shadows.

Yeah, Kangy, as I've stated elsewhere the Striders sure seem to have a musculature to me...

It's an obvious combination of both. The whole concept of Xen in HL1 was biomechanical. Striders and gunships are not one or the other. They just are what they are.

lans said:
And I know people who love Halo just for the vehicles. If the strider is drivable, bungie will finally have competition!
sorry, but bungie has never and will never even come close to competing with valve. im willing to bet HL1 will be a much better game than halo 2. i know this is just my biased opinion, but the halo franchise dosent compare to Hl to me.

That's what being biomechanical is. A living organism with mechanical attributes, except that the mechanical parts are biologically grown, not grafted on, as with a cyborg.

I'm betting greg uploaded that shot just to post this. The folder is probably empty apart from that file. Doesn't mean it isn't a great shot though :p

Looks like they haven't changed a bit since the first shots with them!

Half-Life has the potential to be the best because it's own peculiar style. (cfr being Gordon, 1st person all the time, continuous maps,...)

Back