What will Valve Released Next? Ep-3 or Half-life 3... the repost

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramsfan

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
I demand this thread to be left open and here is why,

First off, the moderators claim was that

"Fact: There will be no Half-Life 3. Valve staffers have confirmed this on multiple occasions. Fact: Episode 3 is still in development and has not been canned."

So what this moderator is claiming is that Valve will release just an episode similar to the situation with Half-life 2:Episode 1 as a stand-alone game. Portal 2 was confirmed to be released Fall of 2010, what happened to that? Half-life 2 was confirmed to be released in 2003, what happened there? I have very strong beliefs that this will not be the case based on evidence and opinion.

First off, the episodic idea does not work for a number of reasons. Anyone who played episode 1 or episode 2 also played half-life 2. However, not everyone that played half-life 2 played episode 1 and 2 as well. This means a decrease in sales automatically. The decreases in sales from Half-life 2 to episode 1 must have been extremely great. Since this was the case, Valve also included Half-life 2 and episode 1 in the orange box. This had to be done to fix the problem of promoting the episodes to only previous players.

Second, since people who played episode 1 had played half-life 2 as well there was not a significant sales boost for half-life 2. Great sequel games make money not only off the game but previous games as well. You can bet that the original half-life saw a major boost in sales thanks to half-life 2. So not only did half-life 2 make a lot of money, it also increased sales for half-life as well. This is because not everyone who played half-life 2 had played the original half-life. So customers went backwards from half-life 2 to half-life and half-life became sorta like a prequel. If you don't believe me go to your local store that sells PC games. You will see that Fallout has come out with all there original games since the release of fallout 3 due to demand.

Third, assuming this game won't be released next year. Lets assume its released 2012. This is 5 years for Half-life2:episode 3. A short 6 hour game after a 5 hour wait is a disgrace to the half-life franchise. The point of the episodes were to have all there of them released within a year and half. This means every 6 months a new episode.

Forth, Half-life2:Episode 3 was suppose to end this story arc. However, valve has barely closed any lose ends throughout the entire franchise. Episode 3 has a lot of to live up too. Ending the entire story arc in a short 6 hour game is almost impossible and would have caused episode 3 to be a big letdown.

I think Valve does realize the value of the name "episode 3" with current fans but the game will in fact not be an episode. If the game name is not Half-life 3 I wouldn't be surprised to see a Half-life 3:Episode 3. The game will infact not be named Half-life 2: Episode 3. I am so certain of this I would bet 100$ to anyone. The next half-life game will be a full game.

I feel there are very good and logic points to this post and do not see a reason for it to be locked. Instead of locking it, maybe you can tell me why it would be in valves best interest to release half-life2 episode 3 still.

Original post: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170825

You're a daft one, but I'd like to see the supposed confirmation that 'there will be no Half-Life 3', because that's patently balls.

Something Half-Life is coming. Last word we heard on it as that product was called Half-Life 2 Episode Three. The last word we heard was sufficiently long ago for people to speculate, but that's all it is. Speculation.
I think Valve does realize the value of the name "episode 3" with current fans but the game will in fact not be an episode. If the game name is not Half-life 3 I wouldn't be surprised to see a Half-life 3: Episode 3.
:|

****ing failing species.

:|

****ing failing species.

Not sure what you mean. I'm trying to say that although sales for new customers are important, its also important to recognize there are a lot of people are expecting an episode 3. It is not necessary to have episode 3 in the title. I would rather see just Half-life 3 myself, but I suppose there could be a Half-life 3:Episode 3, although it is a very confusing title.

Don't argue with Pi; he's played and completed Episode 3. Twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back