When you buy your own groceries

VirusType2

Reaction score
It was cool when I lived with my parents and they bought groceries, but buying your own groceries is a taste of freedom.

For example, Here is what mom bought:
Milk
Eggs
Yogurt
Low fat cookies
Crackers
Orange Juice
Bread
Meats
etc.

Now here is some of the stuff I bought today:
eight 12-packs of coke
2 packages of coffee
Gigantic birthday cookie
More chocolate chip cookies
eight Minestrone Soups
ingredients to make nacho cheese chips
eight pizza's
Chocolate Eclair
Frozen entrees
etc.

I buy all kinds of crap I'd never need when I go.

FREEDOM!

I once bought a 100 pack of sugar cubes, just to eat them, not put them in coffee or whatever.

I bet you wish you had some milk when you eat those chocolate eclairs and chocolate-chip cookies.

Que-Ever said:
I bet you wish you had some milk when you eat those chocolate eclairs and chocolate-chip cookies.
Arg it's true! My crappy food will never compare with my Mother's shopping or cooking, no matter how much I try to convince myself that this is what I want to eat. The food I buy is so boring and unsatisfying. ;(

I made nachos with jalapeños earlier and now I don't feel very well.:x I won't go into any further detail. :angry:

Go to your parents house to eat real food, and when you wanna eat junk, just stay home!

Here is an example of what i buy.

Fresh trout
Fresh hadock/cod
Turkey breast
Organic scottish oats
Sweet potatoes
Low fat cottage cheese
Grapes
Clemmentines
Organic spinach
Frozen brocolli
Frozen Sprouts
Tinded sweetcorn
Tinned asparagus
Tinned red kidney beans
Tinned mackerel
Tinned Tuna
Apple, orange and grapefruit juice
Honey
Wholemeal pasta twists
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Organic carrots

I eat reasonably healthily.

Here's a list of what I buy:

Here's a list of what I eat:
Cereal
Milk
Taco

I'm a skinny ****er.

Grilled cheese > *

Buy stuff that makes good meals instead of snacks...

lol!

> Short Recoil you are extreme! I could just imagine you catching fish with your teeth!

Ikerous said:
Grilled cheese > *

Buy stuff that makes good meals instead of snacks...
Yea, I love the grilled cheese. Well don't have time to cook .. like cook scratch fookin lasagna for 1 person :|

I try to buy frozen entrées but my brother is bogarting the freezer! :(

I think they keep stacking more and more food on top of food that they forgot they had, so you can't close the freezer door without a frozen dinner flying out.

You know what sort of annoys me? These food fads. Over the course of the past 15 years I have witnessed so many food fads. I call them fads because they are so commercialized. They spread like the plague and pretty soon you can't buy anything that doesn't have one of the following:

heres the ones i remember:
Diet - (as in Diet soda)
No MSG
Low Fat
Fat Free
Low Sodium
Added Calcium to everything. - Orange Juice "+Vitamin D and twice the Calcium as milk!"
Cholesterol Free
Atkins Diet
Low/No Carbs
Soy
Organic - I like the taste of organic however I'm not sure what the hell it means. It means the food was grown without pesticides?

VirusType2 said:
You know what sort of annoys me? These food fads. Over the course of the past 15 years I have witnessed so many food fads. I call them fads because they are so commercialized. They spread like the plague and pretty soon you can't buy anything that doesn't have one of the following:

heres the ones i remember:
Diet - (as in Diet soda)
No MSG
Low Fat
Fat Free
Low Sodium
Added Calcium to everything. - Orange Juice "+Vitamin D and twice the Calcium as milk!"
Cholesterol Free
Atkins Diet
Low/No Carbs
Soy
Organic - I like the taste of organic however I'm not sure what the hell it means. It means the food was grown without pesticides?

Some of them are with good reason but yes, you are right the are stupid fads and they piss me off too.
I get annoyed when i hear someone say "oh i'm doing the *insert silly name* diet" I have eaten healthy balanced diet and always will.
Organic stuff is good, they spray non organic stuff with loads of pesticides and use hormones and diddle with genetics.........plus as you say organic tastes much nicer.

The best shop ever - needing something to keep the house adequately supplied for the weekend, the transaction made was 24 bottles of Miller.

Classy.

You get frozen veg Recoil? Can i ask why? I know the fresh stuff may not be the best quality sometimes (work on fruit and veg at Sainsbury's first hand knowledge) but surely it is better than frozen stuff?

Evo said:
You get frozen veg Recoil? Can i ask why? I know the fresh stuff may not be the best quality sometimes (work on fruit and veg at Sainsbury's first hand knowledge) but surely it is better than frozen stuff?
Farmers markets FTW!

ríomhaire said:
Farmers markets FTW!

They are probably 120% better quality than what we have, seriously, stuff can get man handled sometimes

D:

Disclaimer: Use this against me or my company and i will KILL YOU!

via Short Recoil

:D

Evo said:
Frozen veg contains more nutrients than fresh stuff (unless you can get your fresh stuff straight from the farm a few hours after cutting)

If i had a farmers market nearby i would get the produce but the nearest one is 16 miles and prob not worth it for a few heads of brocolli.

I tend to get things like carrots/spinach fresh and brocolli and sprouts frozen.

Ah i see now :)

Broccoli and sprouts often look shitty and crap by the time they get to the shop floor. Carrots are more hardy things though :D

sprouts is easy to make at home. Just get a jar, put some sprouting seeds in it and rinse it once a day. You got sprouts in 5 days. Fungus in 8 days. Take them out after 5 days.

I dont buy my own groceries yet, but once I go off to Uni later this year, I'll probably end up buying loads of crap D: Apparently, we should aim to spent £10 on food a week... or something like that =/ I had better start learning how to budget heh..

Back