Which one's the gravity gun?

R

[Re4lity]Jeff

The demos show a gun which fires a blue 'holding beam' at objects which allows them to be picked up and swung around (shown in the tech demo movie, most memorably). But there's also that thing which seems to grab objects and can then hurl them away (the cinema letters get wrenched off that wall and hurled at the Strider in the finalé). Which one(s) will feature in the final game?

The one which has the blue beam is an older version of it I believe, and the one without the beam is the final one, I think... can anyone back this up?

I think your right because the tech demo was made in september or something wasnt it.

I think all the videos were made in September, according to the dates that someone spied.

They are separate. One is a tracter beam, one is a gravity gun. They clearly act differently from one another to be "the grav gun" at "separate build stages".

Originally posted by ub3rbr0k3
They are separate. One is a tracter beam, one is a gravity gun. They clearly act differently from one another to be "the grav gun" at "separate build stages".
sounds right to me

I too was thinking that - the one that 'grabs' things appears to hold them by their centrepoint, while the blue beam thingy seems to grab them by whatever you shoot the beam at (like the leg of a corpse). But does anyone know which of them will manifest themselves in the final game?

After watching the video again, it seems they are completely different. The beam one you can pick up things and move them, but the the one without the beam you can actually 'throw' the item you've picked up with it. If they are two completely different 'weapons' and thats the way they designed them, then either both will go on, or just one, which one I have no idea.

Yea, it's probably the difference between primary and alternate fire.

Different firing modes maybe?:bounce:

Edit: damn you Jager ;)

Originally posted by Jager
Yea, it's probably the difference between primary and alternate fire.

Its 2 different weapons according to halflife planet and the "shooting" weapon shoots at alt fire and picks up with pri fire...

:bounce:

They arent different builds, its the same weapon. notice in teh tech demo, in teh water arena he uses teh beam, and in the g-man arena he grabs teh camera without a beam.

This is definnitely some kinda prim fire alt fire game.

omg, why would u make this thread.....its kinda obvious that the gun has a primary function and a secondary function.....duh

The two guns look different. The beam gun has a wire or hose on the side of it and the "pick up" gun does not. Also, if you watch it again, there are actually 2 seperate tech demos and could have been made at 2 different times for all we know. The first one fade into black after the player pushes the table into the water with the corpse. The second demo loads and you are in the water room with the texture demos. The first demo has the beam gun while the second one has the "pick up" gun.
I think the "pick up" gun will be in the final game if either of them make it because it is shown in gameplay segments while the beam one is not.

-Straylight

Sticking to Straylight's vocabulary, I think the "pick up" gun will be the one that will be included in the release game. If you've noticed, the beam gun doesn't really do much except fire that beam. The pick up one seems much more polished when it fires and seems to be better as a weapon concept. Anyone also noticed how the 'talon' things on it light up and contract when it's got an object hovering in front of it? That's cool. :)

Originally posted by Insert
Its 2 different guns FFS!!

yea 2 different guns with the same model...ok...... i garuntee all of you the beam is primary fire and the pickup thingy is secondary fire (or visa versa) if its not u all can give me ur addresses and ill goto ur house and let u throw a punch at me.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
yea 2 different guns with the same model...ok...... i garuntee all of you the beam is primary fire and the pickup thingy is secondary fire (or visa versa) if its not u all can give me ur addresses and ill goto ur house and let u throw a punch at me.

Maybe you'r right, lets just hope they both will be included.

It cant be. The Pick-Up Gun had a pick up and put down (Primary) and throw (Secondary) from what we can gather from the E3 Videos. Maybe Valve has implemented a Tertiary Fire?

why would the secondary fire be a drop weapon function for any gun?

o, and i think i should start accepting addresses because i think i was wrong.

why would the secondary fire be a drop weapon function for any gun?

I meant to Primary fire picks up an object, if you press Primary again it puts the object down. If you use Secondary Fire with an object held, then it fires the object off forwards.

Of course, you may well be right. The Secondary Fire may be the blue beam if it is used when an object is not picked up.

Woo! Free punch!...Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty sure they're two different guns, as one has a more bluish hue while the other's painted orange...unless I'm colour blind. Personally, the blue beam wouldn't have much point, unless there was a "stuff blocking your way" situation. Considering how it just causes the item to sit mid-air, there's no real force behind it, so it'd be a fairly useless weapon. I can't wait to use the gravity gun, though. Fun times ahead...in September...bahhhh....so far away....

-Vert

it's probably either the same gun which was reskinned and redone for the blue light, or a different gun. i don't know why there would need to be two though.

Im pretty sure it goes like this:

The one without the beam can pick stuff up and can objects with secondary fire.

The one with the beam can pickup humans etc and drop it, not throw it.

It's not 2 guns, it's just primary and secondary.

The "talons" are also there on the first part of the tech demo.

Bah, just read an article stating the blue beam gun won't actually be in the game, yet the throwing orange one will.
It seems after all they are two seperate guns :<

One's the "manipulator" and the other's the "gravity gun".

..I think..

I'm pretty sure 'Manipulator' is the name for a the gravity gun, could be wrong though.

I definatly agree with $pazmatazz.

Manipulator : To move, arrange, operate, or control by the hands or by mechanical means, especially in a skillful manner.

What does the blue laser gun do? It manipulates things. It doesn't defy gravity (so to speak), it simply has a large force which pulls on any object.

The other gun is much more suited to the name "Gravity Gun". It completely defies gravity when it holds an object weightless in mid-air.

This would also make sense, the online previews talked about a gun referred to as "The Manipulator". It is most likely they were referring to the Blue Laser gun, since the first mention of the real Gravity Gun was at/after E3.

How can it be a difference between primary and alternate fire, when the 'weapons' are two completely different models?

Originally posted by Alzxul
How can it be a difference between primary and alternate fire, when the 'weapons' are two completely different models?
Different builds?

My point is, they're two different models, neither one can do both the blue beam and both the picking up and throwing, so it can't be primary/alt fire.

my opinion is that the gun that can pick up and launch items will be included in the game.. just like how in the movies it shows him throwing furniture at the strider.. the other weapon, (YES THE MODELS ARE DIFFERENT) doesn't seem to have much of a point other then showing off the flexibility of the player models (like in the first part of the tech demo movie) ... this gun doesn't need to be implimented.. it's just a nice tool to show off models and such..

(though.. while writing this reply i just thought of something.. maybe the blue beam gun.. is the gun you're given in the game that can manipulate organic flesh.. like that one is the gun you can get that can actually stop zombies in there path, and throw them where you wish.. while the other gun can only pick up static non-live items like heaters and chairs and boxes.. etc.) but either way.. who knows till sept..

my final answer is the gun that is shown in the gameplay parts of the demo will be in the game.. and the other shown in the tech parts of the demo won't.

Yeah, I agree Worldspawn. It would be very easy to limit usage of the Gravity Gun using ammo etc.. So I think (hope) it will be in the final game.

Originally posted by Dave
Yeah, I agree Worldspawn. It would be very easy to limit usage of the Gravity Gun using ammo etc.. So I think (hope) it will be in the final game.
yeah.. i think it would be very stupid and dissapointing of valve to leave it out after showing us the hilarious/fun points of being able to throw letters off a building at the strider.. they just wouldn't deprive us of that.. and EVEN if they did.. i'm sure it wouldn't take long at all for someone to mod it in.. maybe even before the game even ships due to the sdk being released before hand.. also because of the familarity with the engine.. (i'm sure hl2's engine will have many similarities to hl1's engine) .. so either way we'll see it.

orange holder (mode or gun, who cares) = probably in game

blue beamer (mode or gun, who cares)= probably not in game

its that simple, same gun or not.

Back