Who the heck is publishing this game??

Dr.Sbaitso

Reaction score
Ok i have been so confused everywhere i look it says Vivendi Unviersal is publishing this game like all sites and such and i kept thinking why the hell wouldn't Sierra be publishing it? And now when looking at the supposed boxes for the game
hl2_boxes.jpg

it looks like on the side of the box it says Sierra. So who is publishing it? It doesnt matter for the sake of the game really but just so i can stop being confused. :)

why the hell does it matter? jesus you people have nothing better to do than ask stupid questions about publishers and tiny details in the game. cmon does it REALLY matter who publishes it. just as long as it gets out.

Right it doesnt matter as i said for the sake of the game i am just confused as hell right now, cause why wouldnt Sierra publish, who the hell is Vivendi Studios or Unviersal anyways.

I just assumed Sierra would publish it, where did it say Vivendi Unviersal would?
Half-Life 2 is listed on the Sierra web site as one of their products.

THUGENSTEIN, it matters a great deal who publishes the game, because they supply the money for it and get a say in the final product. Take Tribes 2 for example, which was released WAY to early because Sierra said "release it now or now at all". Also some publishers have a terrible history of not supporting games after they are released *coughEAcough*.

Originally posted by Noj
THUGENSTEIN, it matters a great deal who publishes the game, because they supply the money for it and get a say in the final product. Take Tribes 2 for example, which was released WAY to early because Sierra said "release it now or now at all". Also some publishers have a terrible history of not supporting games after they are released *coughEAcough*.

Well... HL2 having 5 years for developement im sure 4 months isnt gonna help more. But I guess in that sense you are right. But if the publishers were to make them release it early, only good for us lol. And later the unfinished things could be patched up like they did with tribes2.

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
why the hell does it matter? jesus you people have nothing better to do than ask stupid questions about publishers and tiny details in the game. cmon does it REALLY matter who publishes it. just as long as it gets out.
As a contributing reviewer to Gamer Nation UK, it's very annoying to have incorrect stats about a game you're reviewing and be buggered sideways by the general public.

I can actualy vouch for this i was in a Private BETA test for ( Global Ops) the first 2 Betas went ok then the 3 was hmmm well not to good, Then it went to a public BETA then relesed, The upshot From what we got told was the Publisher wanted it out before it was ready and it FLOPPED big time.....

this game was totaly awsome if it was relesed when the DEVs wanted then it would have had alot more Public support and fans.

ValVe dont have this problem they have the bonus of saying when this software comes out its as good as its going to be.

Thank you Frog! I wonder why people are putting VU though it doesnt make sense, so it is sierra's parent comapny,big deal. i guess they are stupid, although EB recently changed theres from VU to Sierra.

THUG: i think you underestimate how much they could do in four months

Originally posted by bonanzaguy
THUG: i think you underestimate how much they could do in four months

yeah i think i do. But it just seems that what they've accomplished in 5 years (which is ALOT), 4 months couldnt do much more. Im sure the next 4 months will be just polishing it up.

Just wanna throw this out. Vivendi Universal sold their games division (i.e. Sierra) to Microsoft. This or more or less means that Microsoft has quite a bit of control over Half-Life 2 :p

I agree, they'll probably just be polishing up over the next 4 months, but they could still add some major changes if need be.

Shrike, can you confirm that? I see nothing about it on either website.

That'd scary tho'. That last time something like that happend, the game came out as an Xbox exclusive. A year-and-a-half on and we're still waiting for Halo on the PC. :(

Not to worry, it seems that Valve is a wholly self-owned company, perhaps owned entirely by Gabe Newell. Meaning that Sierra only publishes Valve games, it doesn't own Valve. MS would have no ownership of Valve or even publishing rights of Valve games if it buys Sierra (thank God).

That link just says they're "In talks" to buy them. Nothing about it being final. If your going to give a link atleast make sure it's one that actually backs up yous claims.

Amen Cid. There is nothing final about that document you linked us, it could be mombojombo for all we know and then again it could be true. Atleast Microsoft isnt taking over the producing part of HL2, they do make grat games though. *Cough*Halo*

Yeah Loque your most likely right.

I was on the Blue Shift forums the other day, and Blue Shift was definatly published by Sierra. The Vivendi Logo was plastered all over the site/forums though.

Back