/whois Combine soldiers

Dile

Reaction score
No one knows who they really are. But if you are curious enough, you can notice some interesting things.

Why are they wearing gas masks? They can't breathe Oxygen? If they can't, we can say, that they are not human. And there's something on the following picture.

http://www.halflife2.net/image_files/Halflife00.jpg

Notice the strange 'letters' on their backs. And there's the number 890. And the logo on the top...it seems to be "M". But what is "M"? The beginning letter of the "company" they are working for? Or created them? (Maybe "MESA"?)

Where has this idea come from that the Gas masks mean they cant breathe oxygen?

Were the soldiers in HL aliens because alot of them wore gas masks. It seems to me that its

A. A way for valve to cut back on making diverse faces.

and

B. Since the earth seems to have become such a wreck and they are in the middle of a war its just standard proceedure in case they encounter any sudden harmful gasses.

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
Where has this idea come from that the Gas masks mean they cant breathe oxygen?

Were the soldiers in HL aliens because alot of them wore gas masks. It seems to me that its

A. A way for valve to cut back on making diverse faces.

and

B. Since the earth seems to have become such a wreck and they are in the middle of a war its just standard proceedure in case they encounter any sudden harmful gasses.

But not all of them wore gas masks in HL. And if you're right, why don't gordon's allies (Barney, Alyx, Eli, Dr. Kleiner, etc) wear gas masks?

And another strange thing is it covers the combine soldiers' whole head, and in the army, they use gas masks that cover only the face.

they wear gask mask because it makes them look evil... simple but true! Reading the PC zone preview Valve said they wanted a clear difinition between the 'good' and 'bad' NPC's in HL2.

I would like to think that they're some kind of aliens or hybrids, that would be much cooler than human soldiers in gas masks.

I also heard that they might be corrupt police forces.

In any case they are a very interesting design, and those glowing red eyes.... NVG's or something more sinister?

Originally posted by Lordblackadder
I would like to think that they're some kind of aliens or hybrids, that would be much cooler than human soldiers in gas masks.

I also heard that they might be corrupt police forces.

In any case they are a very interesting design, and those glowing red eyes.... NVG's or something more sinister?

Time shall tell, time shall tell.

No they didnt wear all over gas masks and they didnt all wear them. But that was then. This is now and the world has likely changed.

You say why dont they all wear gas masks. Well Im not saying that the air is polluted so you cant breathe.
Have you looked that the clothes everyone is wearing? you think they would be able to get their hands on gas masks?

The masks may only cover the face but it still protects them from gas. Surely if you wanted you could have a similar thing for the combine if they couldnt breathe oxygen. If they really cant breathe the air then where do they keep the air they can breathe? Inside the gas mask? If you look at one of the concept pictures, you can see his hair sticking out of the back of the mask.(yes i know its only a concept and not a final make but why would they draw something like that for a non air breathing alien?)
If these really are some kind of alien hybrids to be used as super soldiers, they would be a pretty crappy attemp being as they cant even be used against the people they are meant to be killing in an oxygen atmosphere without the aid of a mask.

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
No they didnt wear all over gas masks and they didnt all wear them. But that was then. This is now and the world has likely changed.

You say why dont they all wear gas masks. Well Im not saying that the air is polluted so you cant breathe.
Have you looked that the clothes everyone is wearing? you think they would be able to get their hands on gas masks?

The masks may only cover the face but it still protects them from gas. Surely if you wanted you could have a similar thing for the combine if they couldnt breathe oxygen. If they really cant breathe the air then where do they keep the air they can breathe? Inside the gas mask? If you look at one of the concept pictures, you can see his hair sticking out of the back of the mask.(yes i know its only a concept and not a final make but why would they draw something like that for a non air breathing alien?)
If these really are some kind of alien hybrids to be used as super soldiers, they would be a pretty crappy attemp being as they cant even be used against the people they are meant to be killing in an oxygen atmosphere without the aid of a mask.

"- ...just a thought...
-...but maybe right."

The headgear is probably a gas mask/night vision/helmet/radio
combine.... combine... yes that would make sense.

----------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for an hour-
Set a man on fire and he'll be very warm for the rest of his life.

I still think the combine are alien.. its just the emotionless way off the combine, the mask's the writing, the tower, the strange tank @ the concept art.

So you're saying they're vulcan? :)=)

As for the tank, humans have built some strange looking things,
look at Saabs.

Though as I said, they'd be way cooler if they were non-human.

:sniper:

I always thought they were some weird aliens... despite the fact that they used bullets. They just look like it.

/me sit's on a roof, waiting for LBA to show up. takes sniper rifle... aim's.. pulls trigger.. BLAM!

I dont like duels

Originally posted by EVIL
/me sit's on a roof, waiting for LBA to show up. takes sniper rifle... aim's.. pulls trigger.. BLAM!

I dont like duels

That wasn't me that was Baldrick, he said you missed.

Cowards are usually afraid of duels.
:p

Not a coward.. just to be safe and direct.

Cuz there seems to always be a 3th person who stabbes meh in dah back :)

Yes well anyway. Back on topic. I think the Combine are completely human, they just have some strange motives that we can't even guess at during this point in time. Its just whatever their motive is that makes them the bad guys.

EDIT: Im not sure I spelled motive right.

I can't take this anymore :flame:

.. now everyone please go back and watch the E3 trailer again.

Gabe clearly says ".. at the center of the ALIEN combine .." Could some combine soldiers be human? Yes. But they are definatelly working for/under the control of aliens.

I like SAABs actually, but the old 900's were some funky lookin' things. And the ignition in the center console, that's original.

Motives are always open for discussion, but wouldn't you agree that it would be cooler if the combine soldiers were non-human.
How about mutants or humanoid aliens or hybrids, clones even.

On the original topic...I agree with Matt, to make them look evil. From what I have read special forces tend to wear gas masks not just for protection from gas, but psychological effect too (if you enemy is wetting himself, he can't run well cos he'll slip).

Sort of.

Gas masks restrict breathing to some extent. Commandos don't wear them for the fun of it. The psychological edge comes from surprise and hitting hard. A specops team will hit several areas simultaneously, using gas, comcussion/flash granades and mow enemies down faster than the average soldier is trained to do.

This is what makes the enemy wet themselves and remain too disoriented to put up effective resistance.

You're on the right track though.

tbh i think the masks are to make sure that valve doesent have to waste time making lotsa faces. And it looks cool

And I think that they are human all human. I dont care what that guy in the vid said ( yes i heard/seen it)
They speak english perfectly they use guns they have aposable thumbs ;) etc

I think what he mighta ment by "alien combine" is that they are simply on the aliens side. I dont think they are green with tenticles under that mask :)

bah maybe i am wrong maybe i am right. I dont care so long as i get to chuck radiators at them come septemeber

:cheers:

that is what I was thinking.. like "V: the final battle".. only a lil more EVIL in recruting it's followers (beating them up and arresting them)

Back