Why have you continued to play hl mods for 4+ years?..

Shockwave

Reaction score
First i have been playing since about 2 months after the initial release of HL.

As for me..the only games i play are DOD/TFC and HL Deathmatch. I have tried tons of games over the years and I all of them have become boring or uniteresting to me after 2 weeks and i have always gone back to half life.

For me..the main thing about other games is that it just doest feel right when moving around and such. Just the feel of the HL engine itself is what keeps me coming back. Also i think that todays games are to dark looking even when cranking up gamma or such to make it brighter. Theres so much detail put into everything that makes it look this dark i think. For me i think HL and the quality mods have better graphics than alot of todays games also.

I just hope HL2 has the same feel as HL1 does...Im sure they tried to keep it somewhat the same but it cant be exactly like it is now. Also since Hl1 was based on the quake engine(%76 of it has been changed and is valves) it would have made it harder to keep it the same feel.

Anyway..bla bla bla bla

Theres the comunity as well m8..
Back when i started playing online games (TFC) Wireplay in the UK was just the best place to be good players, Used to stay up till the early hours getting pissed and snipeing :)

Just thinking about some stuff you wrote there m8...

I just hope HL2 has the same feel as HL1 does...Im sure they tried to keep it somewhat the same but it cant be exactly like it is now. Also since Hl1 was based on the quake engine(%76 of it has been changed and is valves) it would have made it harder to keep it the same feel.

DONT Touch whats not Broken.... ( or something like that). You get what i mean though right.?
there was nothing wrong with the MP side of things so dont touch it

Wireplay was brilliant!, I really hope to see it again ;( , I only play the HL mods, I dont even touch the original game, Ive continued to play em because,like you said, the feel of the HL engine :). It loads quick performs great, the netcode rules etc etc.

Wireplay was brilliant!, I really hope to see it again ...Its back but not as good All seeing eye has it on m8...

Shocky m8 i just Hope TF2 is the MP side of things.
just X fingers and hope :)

They're fun, I was recluctent to learn new games, and the community is funny, tightknit, and kickass.

I hate to admit it but I only started playing HL this last christmas. I have always been a "hardcore gamer" but I never got around to playing Half Life until I got it last christmas. I got the platinum pack so I got all of the exp-packs, CS retail, and TF Classic. Within a 2 weeks of getting it I had beaten HL, Op-Force, Blueshift, and I started playing CS. Since then I have read tons of archived news, visited plenty of forums, and downloaded as many mods as I could.

The best part about my HL expierience was that I was beggining to get into other games when suddenly... HL2 gets announced! It was like a godsend.

Bloody hell so you havent even wated like we have for nearly five years for HL2 .. Jesus m8 your lucky ;)

I don't really know why I have played Half-Life for so long.

TFC has a large community of people that are nice. Its steer away from realism is what I liked about it the most. I joined a clan and just played for about two years.

I am always replaying Half-Life just to find those small secrets.
The expansion packs help also.

I don't have many reasons, I just like the game a lot.

EDIT: I just realized that I say the word "I" too much.

i cant belive how people can play TFC...its so f-ing ugly...and boring..

Yea m8 your totaly right but it was the in thing to play years ago ( Still very good) but now like you say its boring..;)

Originally posted by h00dlum

Ugly, doesnt matter really its about gameplay. And i personally dont think it looks that bad.

Whether its boring or not is a matter of opinion. Ive recently gotten back into it and find it quite a refreshing change from all the games that carry the label, "Fast paced realistic team based action shooter"

I've been playin HL ever since a buddy of mine introduced me to CS like 3 years ago. I've barely touched any other game, except for Max Payne and Deus EX.

I guess the reason I keep playing is becuase of familiarity. HLs gameplay and controls just felt right. Anything else nowadays just feels wrong.

I think Gabe said they are duplicating exactly your walking speed and movement style from HL1.

I think that we should just wait and be impressed by HL2 instead of disecting it in pre-release stages and have nothing to say "wow! i didn't expect that to happen" about when it comes out.

Yes, the HL engine is definately the best for mods.

1. Entertaining and continually updated gameplay.
  2. Consistent player physics.
  3. Reliable netcode.
FYI, I still play TFC, CS, DoD, AHL and NS regularly.

Back