Why I am excited for the Wii <-- Best thread, honest

Nintendo have never said it's next-gen. It is in fact "New-Gen." Good old Reggie. :E Fils-Aime... not me.
Agreed. You can't criticize a console for not living up to arbitrary expectations that you yourself created.

You know what I want to know: which of these are going to be fun? I'm betting on a whole lot of them.

You missed the biggest reason:

wii_controller.jpg

Sex!

Anyway...this console will be good for Nintendo as for every unit sold, they will make a profit.

I think...

Oh and we could well be posting on these forums from the comfort of our sofas thanks to the Opera browser :p

not one of those pictures looked good

It's like a dumb person shouted into a canyon and all we can hear is the echo, over and over again.

(no offense ;))

Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, ExiteTruck, BWii, Mario Strikers and Elebits look visually better than any PS3 game.

Also, remember that PS3 gamers are paying up to $100 for a single game with generic "realistic" graphics.

Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, ExiteTruck, BWii, Mario Strikers and Elebits look visually better than any PS3 game.

Easy now - best not get carried away. There's some lovely looking PS3 games, and some of the ones you mentioned don't look anything special.

Also, remember that PS3 gamers are paying up to $100 for a single game with generic "realistic" graphics.

Also remember, you're pulling that $100 figure directly from the center of your buttocks.

^ Ye speaketh the truth!

They cost more like £55...

It seems people missed my point: why does a game have to have specular lighting and ridiculously high-resolution textures and normal maps everywhere to be good-looking? What about art style?

Exactly why my list is how it is.

They cost more like £55...

Which is $104....

didnt nintendo say that if your looking for next gen graphics, we arnt the console for you?

What are you talking about? The art style is important but that's not the issue. The games look bad gfx wise and i'm sorry but it's real turn off to see game that supposed to come out in the near future , supports a gfx which is par with 2003 or even less.

Art style plays a big part , but common gfx like that is simplly unacceptable as far as i conserned. Cut the "now-gen" PR. The Wii , PS3 , Xbox360 are fighting for consumers and having these kind of gfx quality presented really doesn't aid Nintendo. I'm no gfx whore and all that - the GFX are just plain BAD , in general and in comparsion with the alt. PS3 and the 360. They allude to the same player base overall , poeple will have to choose between the three (unless you are part of the few who can afford to buy more than one) and having the Wii games present that sub-par yesterday's visuals isn't helping them at all.

It does seem , however , that the games made by Nin. have better gfx and visuals , and those by 3rd party devs. seriously lack in that department.

It is obvious that as the time goes by , the Wii games will have good gfx but that doesn't help the fact that most of the games shown right now just look teribble.

That's it , but that's not the sole or the main reason for my negative approach to the Wii , there's the whole issue of the control that I personally dislike the sound of it and all that's connected with that - But that's for another time and thread.

Well its pretty obvious that you're exactly the person Nintendo doesn't care about at the moment. They're not shooting to capture the people who want fantastic graphics and are at home with a controller, and will drop $500 on a console. They're after EVERYONE ELSE. They've realized that their future lies in tapping all those who aren't familiar with gaming, and are both designing and advertising towards this end.

In short: I'm not surprised you don't want one. You're not supposed to.

What are you talking about? The art style is important but that's not the issue. The games look bad gfx wise and i'm sorry but it's real turn off to see game that supposed to come out in the near future , supports a gfx which is par with 2003 or even less.

Art style plays a big part , but common gfx like that is simplly unacceptable as far as i conserned. Cut the "now-gen" PR. The Wii , PS3 , Xbox360 are fighting for consumers and having these kind of gfx quality presented really doesn't aid Nintendo. I'm no gfx whore and all that - the GFX are just plain BAD , in general and in comparsion with the alt. PS3 and the 360. They allude to the same player base overall , poeple will have to choose between the three (unless you are part of the few who can afford to buy more than one) and having the Wii games present that sub-par yesterday's visuals isn't helping them at all.

It does seem , however , that the games made by Nin. have better gfx and visuals , and those by 3rd party devs. seriously lack in that department.

It is obvious that as the time goes by , the Wii games will have good gfx but that doesn't help the fact that most of the games shown right now just look teribble.

That's it , but that's not the sole or the main reason for my negative approach to the Wii , there's the whole issue of the control that I personally dislike the sound of it and all that's connected with that - But that's for another time and thread.

Well no shit the visuals don't give them an edge on the competition. The fact that they're offering a new way for gamers to actually play their games and interact with them is their selling point along with the affordable price.

They're trying to capture a new crowd with the Wii. People thinking of getting into gaming will look at the 3 consoles come this holiday season and see the PS3, expensive but pretty looking and it has the same kinds of games that have been keeping this person from being a gamer. Then there's the Xbox 360, there will be some good games out that might appeal to this person but it's still kind of a big investment for a new gamer and the complexity of some games could be daunting. Then they see the Wii. Low priced, game in box, interesting style of interactive control and lots of unique games along with other low-commitment games (the kind you can just pick up and play for 5-10 minutes if you wanted - Wario Ware, Mario titles, Wii Sports, Monkeyball etc).

This is the strategy Nintendo is going for. If they wanted to compete in Sony and MS's graphics and exclusive titles race they would have.

The way I see it, we're all PC Gamers at heart here I'm sure, so why do we care so much about the graphics of our consoles?

Gameplay is what we should be after more so than anything with consoles I would think. I have a PS2 and a Gamecube, but I got the gamecube for really cheap and I only got it to play some of the gamecube exclusive games. Then again the main reason I got a PS2 was for Vice City, then San Andreas came out too as a bonus :D

Vice City and San Andreas aren't great graphically, but they are great games that are exclusive to consoles for half a year after release.

Go play Starcraft. I sentence you to 2 years of Starcraft. 2d graphics with 256 colors.

Then after that I want you to figure out why WoW owns half the MMO market and EQ2 doesn't.

Point?
Starcraft - Graphics are 256 colors, but there easy on the eyes and it's such a fun game and still one of the most played RTS's to date.
WoW vs EQ2 - Art Style and gameplay means 10000x more than polygon count. The art style of WoW is cartoonish and it's unique and it's a very fun addicting game with very low polygon counts. Thats why WoW has over 50% of the MMO market and EQ2 doesn't even have 5%.

gfx whore and all that - the GFX are just plain BAD
Neither am I however do you see me complaining? No, I like the graphics. There creative and not ordinary. You are a graphics whore. Plain and simple.

Art Style means a lot. If TF2 has realistic graphics and was real\semi real military theme I would not buy it. I'd keep up with it but not buy it. However make it crazy and cartoony with the artistic style and gameplay. Now it's something unique, creative, and completely seperates itself from everything else.

What kind of nub infection is going around that makes people think Wii graphics are "bad"? No, their not as good as PS3 and X360. But they are better than PS2 and GC.

Some people are so damn picky. Hell, imo "Doom" still has great graphics.

Texture Resolution and Poly Count Dose Not Equal Good Graphics
I guess, that is, unless you were born after the advent of 3D games... then I can almost understand the ignorant bias.

I'm a huge believer in art style over raw technical power ... but it's goddamn stupid not to take into account the graphical capabilities of the console when making a purchase.

I've said how I felt about the Wii before, so I'm not going to get into all of it again. I'm going to keep it concise: that console will live or die based entirely on how people like that controller. The graphics are outdated, the console is priced relatively high for the capability it offers, and the games are the same types of games Nintendo has been making for years. The success of the console falls entirely on how well people take to that controller, and whether it just gets old really fast.

On another note, I reject the arguement that getting a Wii means you're choosing gameplay over graphics. For the most part I see shallow, gimmicky games. I think theres 4 mini game collections on launch alone for gods sakes. None of the games offer anything decent in terms of narrative or a cinematic experience. Due to the nature of the console you're going to see a lot of cheaply/quickly produced "original" games that are really quite shallow. If you like that then fine, but people aren't necessarily graphics whores because they prefer games with a bit more substance.

The only game I really want for that console is Mario (the GC port of Zelda doesn't count, its a GC game), because it looks great. Great gameplay, it actually uses the controller in an intuitive way, and it just looks like a shitload of fun. If Nintendo manages to produce a few more games of this calibur then I'll probably be sold on the console.

I'm a huge believer in art style over raw technical power ... but it's goddamn stupid not to take into account the graphical capabilities of the console when making a purchase.

Who said we aren't taking graphical power into consideration? Most people that are for the Wii in this thread say they like the art styles and look of the games coming out.

I'm going to keep it concise: that console will live or die based entirely on how people like that controller. The graphics are outdated, the console is priced relatively high for the capability it offers, and the games are the same types of games Nintendo has been making for years.

The console may be slightly higher priced than the cost components it contains (god forbid the company makes a profit) but it certainly isn't high. I think most people that will buy a Wii realize they're paying for a new way to play games and not just the graphics hardware.

The success of the console falls entirely on how well people take to that controller, and whether it just gets old really fast.

Time will tell. If it's anything like the videos I've seen and impressions I've read I think the immersion factor and interactive feeling can only get better as developers continue to harness all the Wii's control scheme has to offer.

On another note, I reject the arguement that getting a Wii means you're choosing gameplay over graphics. For the most part I see shallow, gimmicky games. I think theres 4 mini game collections on launch alone for gods sakes. None of the games offer anything decent in terms of narrative or a cinematic experience. Due to the nature of the console you're going to see a lot of cheaply/quickly produced "original" games that are really quite shallow. If you like that then fine, but people aren't necessarily graphics whores because they prefer games with a bit more substance.

The only game I really want for that console is Mario (the GC port of Zelda doesn't count, its a GC game), because it looks great. Great gameplay, it actually uses the controller in an intuitive way, and it just looks like a shitload of fun. If Nintendo manages to produce a few more games of this calibur then I'll probably be sold on the console.

I guess the Wii just doesn't offer the kind of games you like yet. All that has been shown is inside the launch window. I can't think of a launch with multiple premium titles for the console. Usually the really high quality and memorable titles come out a year down the road or so (I think the 360 is just beginning to come into its own right now with some good games I actually want - I thought the launch was terribly unimpressive).

Sometimes shallow, gimmicky games can be amazing. Take Guitar Hero. It's like DDR for your fingers but god damn is it fun. Graphics aren't amazing. It has a fun cartoony art style. It's fun because in some sense it feels like you're rocking the shit out of the song you're playing and it's a great feeling. If the Wii offers the same kind of feeling when I'm ripping doors off their hinges, fighting space pirates, picking locks, throwing punches, slashing swords (gotta have a game with 1:1 control sometime), etc....then I'm sold.

People may not be graphics whores just if they like games that look better...but when they shit all over a console because it doesn't have high poly counts and clock speeds backing it up then they are.

I have to agree with your bit about Mario. So far it seems to be THE best use of the Wii hardware and controls yet and everything I've read aobut it says people still can't get enough even though they've only played the same few levels.

All I hope is that Trauma Center deals with NORMAL medical procedures rather than the really lame bio-weapon crap.

I mean seriously, the First part of the DS game was awesome. And then they ruined it :(

Although the whole controller De-fib thing sounds awesome :D

I think theres 4 mini game collections on launch alone for gods sakes. None of the games offer anything decent in terms of narrative or a cinematic experience.

Again, it all comes down to taste.

There can't be enough of these types of games imo (all four packs will be mine). These are the games that get put on when my friends (gamers and non) come round and we want to spend an evening having a laugh and a few glasses of beer/wine. This is where Nintendo excel - 4 friends in a room playing a video game - and other developers come up woefully short. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because these games are simple or 'gimmicky' that they are easy to make as well as Nintendo do.

I enjoy deep and engrossing titles as much as the next guy, but find social gaming easily as rewarding and certainly more fun. Luckily Nintendo craft some of the greatest single player titles around too - Metroid, Zelda, Mario etc. These may not be to everyone's taste, but they are to many 1000's of keen gamers (i'd choose either over the new MGS for example)

Getting a Wii, especially after the wrongful demise of the DC (philistines!), is a complete no brainer for many people. There is no alternative for a party console. It's also the only place you'll find the exclusive games that have made Nintendo the gaming power house they are today.

A bargain at twice the price.

In my opinion it will take these multipacked games (or gimmicky games if you like) to showcase exactly how the Wii feels, plays and performs. It's a new(ish) technology - I hope these smaller titles will draw attention to new audiences and developers.

Guys you are reading my comments the wrong way , I have no problems with games not having the latest and most advanced gfx. I have a problem with a console , which isn't even realeased , display gfx that belong to 2-3 years ago - A "next gen" console. I except them to at least have graphics that's up par to present games.

Who said gfx>gameplay? I sure didn't and I don't hold that opinion. WoW is fine , I wish Wii games looked like that - they look worse. The example of Starfact is irrelevant. The point is that I expect from 06-07 games to have 06-07 gfx , and this isn't the case with the Wii. I would have no issue if the gfx were on the level 0f 04-05 but that's again isn't the case with the Wii.

I have no problems with not good looking games , god knows I play adventure games and I have a PS2 , so it's really not an issue for me , but I don't know , for a next-gen console , with ps3 and 360 on the market , the Wii sure underwhelmes me , visuals wise.

My comment on the player base were mainly about "gamers" and "hardcore gamers". No offence , but I really don't give a damn about casual players.

Casual players are the player base.

My comment on the player base were mainly about "gamers" and "hardcore gamers". No offence , but I really don't give a damn about casual players.

That's a shame. Many of the most fun video gaming sessions i've had have been with 'casual gamers' from either sex. In general it's a more enthusiastic and funny experience (especially when the crazy peripherals come out for Samba, DDR, Bass fishing, HOTD etc etc).

I still disagree that the gfx look 3 years old and think you'll you see this when the wii is running at 480p on a decent widescreen tv. Of course games won't look as detailed as the 360 or PS3 - anyone with a passing interest in the wii has known that it's little more than a clocked GC with a new control method for ages - but that doesn't mean the games will look poor (there are still games on the last gen of consoles that hold their own today)

Warbie, which one of the first three games is available at launch?? Tell me its mario and ill have your babies....

Just Zelda. I had my heart set on Metroid.

It sounds a little lame saying 'just Zelda' - it's Zelda! (albeit exactly the same as the GC version with different controls, which I think is a little lazy)

Yea , I understand that that casual players are the majority of the player base and where all the money lies. I just believe that the main reason for most the bad\poor\lacking\whatever you wanna call it , in recent years is because the devs. target the casual player , which by definition are alot easier to please.

Just Zelda. I had my heart set on Metroid.

It sounds a little lame saying 'just Zelda' - it's Zelda! (albeit exactly the same as the GC version with different controls, which I think is a little lazy)

No Babies for you!!!

All this discussion of gfx concerning the Wii is a waste. If you're buying a console for it's gfx potential go elsewhere. That's not what the Wii is about.

As Warbie said, there's games from the last gen that still hold their own. Example, Resident Evil 4 is as gorgeous as any game out currently on the XBox 360, IMO, and there's still not a game on the XBox 360 that was as good.

Further, I could be playing Dead Rising, Ghost Recon: Advanced, or PD:Zero but I'm not. I'm playing Zelda 2 on my laptop having more fun than I had playing through any of those games and it's like my 8th time through the game. These games were all stunning of course, but that lasted all of two days then all I had left was the gameplay...sadly, that lasted all of a week and a half or however long it took me to complete these games. I have an itch to play through Metroid 2 next.....maybe the Prime series again too before Corruption comes.

Sadly enough, I feel that MS and Sony are showing a lack of respect for the gamer in the product they're releasing. Obviously this is my opinion, and there are a lot of people that don't feel slighted in the least, and that's great, but I think the vast majority are starting to swing with what Nintendo is trying to do....case in point, the vast success of the DS vs the PSP. I for one, regret the purchase of my PSP and XBox 360. They collect dust.

If this is the continued direction of MS and Sony in the future, I'll be purchasing consoles one maybe two generations behind....I think Nintendo's success with the Wii could change gaming A LOT. If Sony and MS start seeing their per unit sales falling farther and farther behind Nintendo in the midst of mounting losses per unit and Nintendo's mounting profits per unit...maybe they'll wake up. It's gonna get old....just depends on when.

Back