why is everyone recommending ati's??

dude, that's probably you're problem right there, you didn't clean out your drivers?

ok, first off, go under add/remove programs and remove the ATI drivers and control panel

now, go download a driver cleaner program, you can find a good one over at www.guru3d.com and it will clean your registry

now, reboot and install your new drivers and it should work fine

ive done it before... but not for awhile il try and pray it fixes things

thankz 4 all teh help doobz

that's standard procedure with drivers, you ALWAYS do that

Originally posted by gamevoodoo Few more questions, is 9700 better than 9800? cuz I saw some place selling 9700 more expensive than 9800? here it's the link : http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&WLBS=fs%2Dweb1&catid=10524
This is a very reliable and the greatest electronic store in canada, i always buy my computer stuff there. Stroll down, u will see 9700 more expensive than 9800 128 mb.
The 9700 is outgoing, that's why its more expensive, not many buy it. That one in particular is not this reason though, its the AIW version, specially designed for video editing if I remember correctly (not familiar with AIW).

One of the article that shows the benchmark on doom3 says that doom3 engine will become very prominent in videogame industry in the next decade, that's why nvida build 5900 for doom3. Do you think this could be true? If so, what will happen to source engine, hl2, valve and Gabe (the fat multi-millionaire in the video)?
Doom 3 is still OpenGL. I think DirectX is the way to go... But that's just my opinion. Source will RULE the modding world, and HL2 will probably be the most sold game ever, without being the most played game ever :) That will affect the community more than Doom III ever could.

Even though I'm a hl2 fan, I really want to see all those doom3 graphical effects in the upcoming games or mods built on source engine; The corpse fade effect, per-polygon hit detection, etc sound really cool. Do you think source engine can handle it ? Educated answer please.
Short answer 1: No.
Short answer 2: You can do ANYTHING in an engine.
DX9 does not put limits. Hardware does. Source is MUCH more backwards compatible (and probably faster than Doom in its core) than Doom... We can do all this in new engines fully using modern hardware, regardless of API. Its just that many devs are lazy, and use old engines :)

Edit: I need to learn to write faster. Or stop time while I'm doing it. Yeah, that should work...

Originally posted by alb1221
i cant find an ati driver cleaner!!
All my ATI driver install has worked by just unistalling via the windows uninstaller thingie....

it's always a good idea to rid yourself of registry entries with a driver cleaner, it can decrease performance

Originally posted by Doobz
it's always a good idea to rid yourself of registry entries with a driver cleaner, it can decrease performance
True, but its so fast anyway :)
Once I get my PSU back I'll install the new drivers anyway, since I have the hotfix ones, then I can use the cleaner...

bah, i remember reading about some hotfix that seriously messes with windows memory management, and i uninstalled it as directed a while ago and i did see a noticeable increase, but i reformatted and patched windows all up and now i can't remember which hotfix it is...

okay well I got the zero display service error again... dont know whats thats all about.... still testing stuff

HOLY CRAP THAT FIXED UT2k3's BUGS (besides performanceness but thats my sys) THANKZ DOOBZ I OWE YOU BIG TIME

OMG IT FIXED MY BF1942 PROBLEMS TOO YAY I LOVE YOU THANKZ THANKZ

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

When I upgrade my card, or new drivers, I always format and install fresh. Problems begin to arise later down the line if you have traces of old drivers. I'd reccomend a format (if the driver cleaner doesn't work) to get things running smooth. Here is the order I install in;

(With a reboot in between each)

Format
Windows XP
SP1
Windows Update patches
DirectX 9.0b
Monitor drivers (latest)
Cat 3.6 (latest)
The games! :D

Hasn't failed me yet.

WindowsXP Pro
MSI KT3 Ultra2-R
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Radeon 9700 PRO
512 MB XMS PC2700 Corsair RAM
2 x 80 GB ATA133 Maxtor (fluid bearing) Raided.

Good luck with your Dell.

EDIT: Sheesh people reply quick, I started writing this only 3 min ago....

heheh, np, just remember to do that anytime you install drivers from now on :cheers:

EDIT: jesus christ, did it seriously take 4 pages to recommend this to him? this should have been the very first suggestion he recieved

LOL check my edited post btw doobz you helped fix alot, anyways this is a good discussion anyways other then my personal problems

DAMN drivers should auto clean! what a difference that would make

yeah, whenever somebody complains of an underperforming card, it's almost always the exact situation we had here

Originally posted by Doobz
yeah, whenever somebody complains of an underperforming card, it's almost always the exact situation we had here

Nah, its because their pc isn't being used properly, aka 'THE WAY ITS MENT TO BE PLAYED'

:p

Originally posted by [[LuCkY]]
Nah, its because their pc isn't being used properly, aka 'THE WAY ITS MENT TO BE PLAYED'

:p
Wonder if one can sue them for that? Since Nvidia optimisations override any application setting, it isnt the way the game is designed to be played on Nvidia hardware by the developers. But I'll guess they will pull in their armada of lawyers and claim its the way THEY mean you are meant to be played :p

Originally posted by dawdler
Wonder if one can sue them for that? Since Nvidia optimisations override any application setting, it isnt the way the game is designed to be played on Nvidia hardware by the developers. But I'll guess they will pull in their armada of lawyers and claim its the way THEY mean you are meant to be played :p

No because they've paid the dev to put them in there, although I have no proof.....but I'm pretty sure lmao :p

so, wait, alb, is your performanc ok, or is it low do you think?

I dont give a flying **** what card it is as long as it runs my game 60+ fps on avg.

alright, you go right ahead and voice your convictions with such ferocity even though nobody challenged them

Neh, its just that this never ending fight between ATI and nvidia fanboys is getting boring. I just wanted to say that i'm on neither side. Sorry of it sounded kinda "ferocious." It's 5:18 am and i haven't slept yet.

lol, i think you picked the wrong thread for it, there was no fanboy war here :cheers:

what i'm tired of is arguing with amd fanboys about current performance.

-_- i'm buying a pentium 4 3.0ghz for my new setup and they won't stop talking about how an amd 3200+ is much better. then i proceed to link them to every single benchmark i can find, saying that 3.0's out do the 3200+ and then they CHANGE THEIR ARGUMENT and say 'well.. uh.. amd is cheaper!'.

bleh.

Did you remember to do a fresh install of windows before switching video cards and installing the ATI drivers? Mixing ATI's and NVidia's drivers is a big mess. Even after uninstalling the Detonator drivers, they leave some files behind that screw up your ATI driver installation. Although it's a pain, it's advised to do a format and clean install of windows, then install the drivers.

woops, didn't notice the 2nd page of posts. You're already done.

Originally posted by Nostradamus
you have dell..thats why...del sux you c0x

now if thats not fanboy i dont know what is.

Dell didn't get where they are by making crap PC's. Dell got where they are making Business PC's. Dell PC's are very good with high standards and good support. You think they "sux c0x" because they don't make gaming rigs.

I can't wait until i can afford an alienware Laptop :)

Its true that Current top-end AMDs can't match what AMD are setting them against. If you compare clock speeds they are similar in both performance and price, it's just AMD try and move em up. Further down tho AMD do offer the better performance/price ratio.

Originally posted by Tredoslop
These are the reasons I can think of: (Oh, and BTW search the forums)
1:Gabe said ATI is better.
2. Direct X 9
3.N/A

Boy there are some pathetic ATi fanboys floating around these boards. Gabe did not say it was better, he said he was using one of their cards, the 9800 Pro. DirectX 9 doesn't mean anything, because there are several nVidia cards which support it as well. And what the hell is the point of labeling a number three point only to say there is none?

Originally posted by Lyrids
Boy there are some pathetic ATi fanboys floating around these boards. Gabe did not say it was better, he said he was using one of their cards, the 9800 Pro. DirectX 9 doesn't mean anything, because there are several nVidia cards which support it as well. And what the hell is the point of labeling a number three point only to say there is none?
Doh...
He said it was better (5-6 times faster), and he recommended buying a 9800 over a 5900. DirectX9 speeds means the world for future games, not only support (hell, even the Geforce 256 SUPPORT it, but not in hardware). For the 3rd reason, go fish.

hm...I recently switched from a GF2 Ti to a raedeon 9700 pro, and i did not have any bugs...In fact, i uninstalled the Nvidia drivers after I installed the ATI one...guess my computer just knows better than to piss me off...

Originally posted by dawdler
Doh...
He said it was better (5-6 times faster), and he recommended buying a 9800 over a 5900. DirectX9 speeds means the world for future games, not only support (hell, even the Geforce 256 SUPPORT it, but not in hardware). For the 3rd reason, go fish.

The whole FX series of nVidia cards has hardware support for DX9.

Originally posted by Lyrids

Directx9 support isnt the problem, directx 9 SPEED is the problem

i'm confused about why ppl say the 9800 is cheaper...
pricewatch.com says

Radeon 9800 Pro 256 : $426
GeforceFX 5900 Ultra 256: $407
---
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 : $318
GeforceFX 5900 128: $299

Looks like they're about the same to me...

the 256mb 9800pro is indeed more expensive but that's not the one you should buy. :p

That 128mb Geforce FX 5900 isn't an ultra, that's why it's cheaper then the 9800 PRO 128mb

Nvidia made a stupid move not (yet) selling a 128mb FX5900Ultra, i really don't get that.

how much of a performance boost does 256mb give over 128 mb? for either card?

Back