Why is Sven's Co-op not Co-op?

Cyperious

Reaction score
Co-op was always my favorite multiplayer mode of all time and look where stand: HL2, Doom 3, and STALKER all said basically " We don't need co-op, the mod community will do it for us"

Doom 3 then adds insult to injury by making Co-op for the Xbox. The official reason? "It would lessen the intensity of the PC version" Thats the biggest piece of shit I have ever heard. I can't believe Id would do that to it's fans.

Then I play Sven co-op, and it's pretty fun, but it's not really what it claims to be. It's says it a co-op mod for HL, which it technically is. But this mod is for people who are high, all of the levels and either crazy or pointless or both. It's alot of fun, but it's not the perfect, normal, "beat the game with another person" mod I was looking for. Please, someone make a mod that will satisfy my cravings for the old school ways of beating a game with friends.

Anyone know of any ideas for this kind of mod?

People modded farcry to co-op without an SDK, so I'm sure some other renegade modders will come out with a clean, vanilla HL2 Co-op.

Some of the sven-coop maps are definately pretty lame, and so are a lot of the players, but you can play normal HL SP to a limited extent(bugs).

Hey we're still working on the gameplay mechanics. We have a lot in store still, I personally understand what you're talking about. Our maps need more structure and various gameplay modes and purpose. We're working on it.

Wait until v3.5.

I'll be waiting. If me and my buddy can beat all of HL1 without a hitch, I'll be really happy. :D The days of SC2.0 on WON were the best, too bad there was that random crash bug which couldn't be fixed due to some sort of limitation, doesn't seem to appear on Steam though.

Sven Co-op is all nice and great... but im sure fans here and elsewhere would probably want a Co-op mode made by Valve.. u know what they say.. "nothing better than letting the game dev take care of game modes"

and for anyone that didn't understand that, i am not dissing the pple involved with Sven Co-op... just that i'd prefer if Valve made a Co-op mode for HL2.

It's alot of fun, but it's not the perfect, normal, "beat the game with another person" mod I was looking for

Are YOU high? You can absolutely play the ENTIRE single player campaign with as many people as your server can handle in Sven Coop.

It's just that no SC servers actually play the normal maps.

I would just like Valve to come out with a co-op patch. I cant stand if the sven guys did it. They didnt really make a co-op mod, and i dont wanna buggy campeign.

I wish you could actually successfully play the singleplayer campaign with Sven co-op, but it never takes long to come across a game-stopping bug, most of which are levels not loading when they should so you're stuck. :hmph: I'd like to see concentration on the singleplayer campaign of HL2 before any added stuff with the new Sven co-op.

Letters said:
I wish you could actually successfully play the singleplayer campaign with Sven co-op, but it never takes long to come across a game-stopping bug, most of which are levels not loading when they should so you're stuck. :hmph: I'd like to see concentration on the singleplayer campaign of HL2 before any added stuff with the new Sven co-op.

All you have to do is type "NextLevel" and ChangeLevel" in console

Last time I played SC-SP with my brother (a few weeks ago), we managed to get through the entire SP campaign without any game stopping bugs interrupting it, so I don't see what the problem is. The only cartoony map I can remember being in SC is toonrun, and even that kicks ass, with the cel-shaded enemys and whatnot. The biggest problem with SC is all the noobs that kill your friendly monsters. :flame:

...i have no idea what you are going on about, me and a mate played through sven coop not so long ago, started playing some sort of world war 2 levels then we jumped into the single player. was great fun, just watching him sit in an elevator as it fell into a pit of toxic as i clinged onto a ladder for safety was enough to make me want to get a hole group of people playing. as for the crazy levels, they were a nice refreshment after blasting our way through single player. kudos to the sven team

I've said it before, so I'll say it again- nothing degrades SC more than sub-standard community maps. Playing through some of them is painful; and it doesn't help that so many servers have too many damn player slots.

Yes alot of the Sven-Coop maps are stupid and pointless, I want to play some nice maps that you would believe to be part of Half-Life, not this Mario style crap :hmph: . A little screw around map can be fun, but when 75% of the Sven-Coop maps are screw around it kind of ruins it. Some are actually really good and you need several players to complete it.

$niper said:
Hey we're still working on the gameplay mechanics. We have a lot in store still, I personally understand what you're talking about. Our maps need more structure and various gameplay modes and purpose. We're working on it.

Wait until v3.5.

no offence but screw version 3.5 cant you just works your ass of for the half life 2 version?

PoiSoNSpiDeR said:
no offence but screw version 3.5 cant you just works your ass of for the half life 2 version?

Well, I assume that it'd be kinda hard for them to do anything worthwhile (e.g code), since HL2 isnt even out yet, and no SDK has been released. Also, AFAIK they have started work on models for HL2, as I recall seeing some unskinned renders on their page a while back.

Really? I hadn't heard about that, but I wouldnt be suprised if the DoD team had it, as they are pretty much valve employees now, and would probably need it in order to make DoD-S.

Back