Why the lack of media?

jdufault

Spy
Reaction score
Second thread in this section, and I hope it will explain something to people going into the forum.

Why is Day of Defeat Source so up tight about its media?

Why are we only seeing plain, boring screenshots, released one at a time every month or so?

Why the lack of information coming in?

I ask this because, just like many other games right now, Day of Defeat Source is a retail product. But unlike the other games, Day of Defeat seems to be lacking in any official media. Does any one have any official word on why they are not letting the fans know how the game is coming along? Is it because they aren't far enough along to let us know?

I think the lack of news is really putting a damper on the discussion in this forum and other forums....

There are lots of questions, unanswered, and maybe someone has the answers. I think it would be a good idea to answer some of these questions in this thread, maybe post a FAQ..etc. Why the lack of encouragement by the fans o show us new things?

Partly because theyre still hard at work with new stuff, and they'd probably just prefer to keep the goodies as a surprise.
The plain boring screenshots were all they had to show us: Pretty redone-in-source dod maps, thats it.
Im sure there are some interesting threads on some other dod sites, and lots of media at dodfrance.com...but yea its getting boring in this forum -_-

Halflife2.net: When Day of Defeat: Source approached beta and screenshots and movies started getting out into the internet, a lot of feedback I’ve seen suggests that some people aren’t happy with the way that the Source engine doesn’t seem to be using its full potential in this game. Are these opinions an accurate representation of what the finished product will be?

Doug Lombardi: We had some similar opinions once the beta began and that’s why we’ve been pretty quiet about DoD: Source in the past few months. We are, however, getting ready to show everyone what we’ve been up to, and I think folks will be quite pleased with how it's evolved.

Yes real lack of information........

So the lack of media it seems is from a source of incompetence? The team at valve feels that its not up to par yet.

I seem to think that part of that is the way they went into DOD development, they said they went in just going to port things over and release an original game. Then update it and release it again, or over updates through steam.

Now once they realize they should do over most of the content, they have realized that their work to release the game as a port, has only wasted time. I do beleive that the new weapon models, player models, and improved props will give DOD a new reason to play.

I am wondering why the newest versions of the popular mods are taking so long, With the new engine, it seems the mods are dragging along slowly in development. One would think they would speed up, due to valve taking them in, and giving them special attention, and most likely new staff. You have to agree, good things take time, but time is something valve doesnt really have right now. New things are coming, and valve better make its mark right now. The new consoles coming, The new engines coming, valve has to be scared.

jdufault said:
I am wondering why the newest versions of the popular mods are taking so long, With the new engine, it seems the mods are dragging along slowly in development. One would think they would speed up, due to valve taking them in, and giving them special attention, and most likely new staff. You have to agree, good things take time, but time is something valve doesnt really have right now. New things are coming, and valve better make its mark right now. The new consoles coming, The new engines coming, valve has to be scared.

A. Go make a mod, see how long it takes to make.
B. Just because VALVe acquired them doesn't mean it still doesn't take time to make things.
C. Oh VALVe doesn't really have time right now? I dunno about you but they have time, plenty. Just because other games are coming out doesn't mean people still won't buy hl2.
D. Great about new consoles, too bad the only console game they care about is Xbox. They make PC games.
E. Why does VALVe have to be scared of new engines? They can update their own whenever, all they have to do is patch it via steam, and this has been known for quite awhile.

A. Go make a mod, see how long it takes to make.
B. Just because VALVe acquired them doesn't mean it still doesn't take time to make things.
C. Oh VALVe doesn't really have time right now? I dunno about you but they have time, plenty. Just because other games are coming out doesn't mean people still won't buy hl2.
D. Great about new consoles, too bad the only console game they care about is Xbox. They make PC games.
E. Why does VALVe have to be scared of new engines? They can update their own whenever, all they have to do is patch it via steam, and this has been known for quite awhile.

I realize your going to be upset because of the last thread, so you are going to naturally defend yourself. No problems, but I like to put that behind myself.

Here is what i think:

A. Give me and 30 other extremely talented developers together and go make a mod, I garuntee you at least a couple nice screenshots in a years time.
B. With Valve's help, they have teachers that can help them take advantage of the full extent of the source engine, They have people who have already made hl2, who they can fall back on for help.
C. Agreed. Valve Has time
D. Not talking about Valve, I meant new consoles take away hype from PC game releases, as it ussually takes a year or so before the PC catches up to the consoles graphics.
E. Thats like saying Half-Life 1 had no fear of Half-Life 2, With new engines, the old fanbase migrates away. I dont know about you, but I beleive there are more people playing BF, COD, and those other games released after HL1 right now, than are playing HL1. What I mean is, there is only so much time left before Quake 4, Unreal 3, Stalker and those rounds of games come out. Valve sees this and I hope will take advantage of their dominance in the market right now.

I hope that explains myself a little bit better :cheers:

Back