Will region-specific games still work when I move regions?

Apocalypse89

Reaction score
Say I buy Mass Effect, a game that is available on Steam in my home country(Bahrain) but not in the UK, the country I'm traveling to soon. Will I still be able to play it in the UK? If I delete it or don't download it, will I be able to download and update it over there?

Yes. You now own the game. If you wanted, you could move to the states, purchase every game by Ubisoft, return to the UK and play them all.

As far as I know, the region detection is in the Steam Store. Plus, I've known people that have purchased games for others to override the Region Specific filter.

Contact Steam Support and tell them about your plans. Otherwise your credit card might get region locked.,

Your games will work any ware. Once you have the game on your account, it doesn't matter where you go. I had my Friend in Canada buy Mass Effect for me so i could download it and play it here in the UK. She was able to buy it using her Credit card as Steam does not store you credit card details.

Your games will work any ware. Once you have the game on your account, it doesn't matter where you go. I had my Friend in Canada buy Mass Effect for me so i could download it and play it here in the UK. She was able to buy it using her Credit card as Steam does not store you credit card details.

That is not correct. If you purchase CS:S in Russia you won't be able to play it outside Russia. And so on.
In regions where games are way cheaper there are regional restrictions.

That is not correct. If you purchase CS:S in Russia you won't be able to play it outside Russia. And so on.
In regions where games are way cheaper there are regional restrictions.

That only counts with Valve retail games. Steam bought games and 3rd party games have no such restrictions. Also, the restriction only prevents you activating that game in another region, you can still play it any ware. My friend bought his copy of the Orange Box in Thailand which stated it's could only be activated there, he activated there and could continue playing it back here in the UK.

Well I ended up not buying Mass Effect for other reasons, but this thread is still useful. It seems like I'm getting mixed replies though, and so I'll let it be known that I bought most of my Valve games in Bahrain and could play them just fine in the UK, while I bought L4D and Call of Duty 4 in the UK and could play them just fine in Bahrain. Also, Steam seems to count Bahrain as being the US, since prices there are displayed in US Dollars...

So if there are regional restrictions, they don't seem to apply to most games, or at least not between Bahrain(ie the US) and the UK.

Well I ended up not buying Mass Effect for other reasons, but this thread is still useful. It seems like I'm getting mixed replies though, and so I'll let it be known that I bought most of my Valve games in Bahrain and could play them just fine in the UK, while I bought L4D and Call of Duty 4 in the UK and could play them just fine in Bahrain. Also, Steam seems to count Bahrain as being the US, since prices there are displayed in US Dollars...

So if there are regional restrictions, they don't seem to apply to most games, or at least not between Bahrain(ie the US) and the UK.

Only Europe and the UK get the prices displayed in their respected currency. All other country's have to pay in US dollars, Bahrain is not classed as being US.

Back