Will Valve keep the little things about Source?

CCP115

Headcrab
Reaction score
The title's terrible and clickbaity, I know.

Anyways, what's the little thing about Source that you really liked? Was it the physics? Was it the name? Do you want Valve to carry over that little something to Source 2?
I personally want Valve to keep surfing and rocket jumping. Surfing on those 45 degree ramps is fun, but I'm talking about surfing damage, like a rocket. That was weird but made for some cool clips.
And rocket jumping? Need I say more? Yea probably, it is really awesome and is one of the things which make Source engine unique (at least nowadays).

What do you guys think?

I'd say it was that one Half-Life 2 game.

All I want is that they don't change the hammer editor so much that I have to re-learn everything

All I want is that they don't change the hammer editor so much that I have to re-learn everything

You know they have totally redone the hammer UI, and you don't have to re-learn everything. It looks very user-friendly, and that was their goal for Source 2.

Hopefully rubrikon won't make rocket jumping and surfing obsolete; I have a feeling that Valve is quite aware of what their community is based around.

I think it will very likely depend on the game. We have already witnessed a change in physics from game to game. CS:GO for example, is a lot more "stiff" than Portal or TF2 (or CS:S for that matter) in terms of movement capability, and that's likely because of how refined and specified the physics within the game is.

You know they have totally redone the hammer UI, and you don't have to re-learn everything. It looks very user-friendly, and that was their goal for Source 2.
I've seen the new hammer and it looks similar to hammer, but what ain't broke doesn't need to be fixed. I hate re-learning stuff I'm used to

I totally agree, but that UI was ancient (quake era) and they imrpoved the tools a lot and made the layout more logical.

I've seen the new hammer and it looks similar to hammer, but what ain't broke doesn't need to be fixed. I hate re-learning stuff I'm used to

Trust me, it's worth your time to learn the new Hammer. Especially since it will only get more advanced than what you were used to before (in terms of features). It's really not very hard to learn too. If you take a week and spread out your time with the new Hammer editor, you will learn a lot. Hell, I'm still learning new things, and I've been using it since its release earlier this year. It's a much more robust tool than what it was before. Everything you will ever need, which required third-party tools before, is all now part of the package. You can even make high-poly models in Hammer if you really wanted, it's truly a step up and worth the time to get used to.

Trust me, it's worth your time to learn the new Hammer. Especially since it will only get more advanced than what you were used to before (in terms of features). It's really not very hard to learn too. If you take a week and spread out your time with the new Hammer editor, you will learn a lot. Hell, I'm still learning new things, and I've been using it since its release earlier this year. It's a much more robust tool than what it was before. Everything you will ever need, which required third-party tools before, is all now part of the package. You can even make high-poly models in Hammer if you really wanted, it's truly a step up and worth the time to get used to.

Theres no doubt I will learn the new hammer, but I'll start learning it after a non-dota game pops up from Valve (*cough*hl3*cough*). I admit that it felt wayyyy smoother than the current version, but all the familiar stuff I'm used to deal with are now gone :(

What's with everyone hating on Dota? I don't understand this :\ It's a great game if you put some time into it. Yea, the community could be toxic at times, but each community has it's toxic player base. You don't even necessarily have to play the normal game to enjoy what the community creates, since there is a budding modding scene too (with lots of interesting game modes). The Half-Life series isn't the only series Valve has invested time into! There's no use waiting for HL3 Hammer when Dota 2 Hammer will likely be very similar, even identical. At least in general functionality. Then again, I speak from a developer point of view and not one of a hobbyist, so I guess to each their own!

Back