Will you purchase HL2 via STEAM or from a store...

Shockwave

Reaction score
Latley ive been hearing alot of talk about steam is really underway and ready to go pretty much. With this talk comes HL2 will be available for download via STEAM also. If it is will you buy it via download or from a store?.(if this does actually happen which it probably will because this is why STEAM was developed in the first place the game will probably be $10-$20 cheaper than buying it outa a store)

Me personally I dont think HL2 will be available through steam but it will be the base product to work with steam through. CS:CZ 2 and TF2 may only be available via steam because 3 games on the shelfs next to eachother basically steals money from each game and cost more to produce the boxes,cds,manuals ect..ect.

Anyway..if HL2 is available through steam i probably will still buy it out of the store since I just like having the CD and case on hand for my games. But TF2 i would definetley purchase via STEAM.

I also like having the box of the game as a sort of memento, so I'll be buying from store. I'm not sure if Steam will continue. The next half-life patch will have the Steam interface, so I'm guessing Steam was just a beta for the next half-life patch, not the beta for the next Steam. I'm not sure actually, but I like the concept. What I'd like to see with Steam is a customizable interface. I don't like the green, it get's annoying.

everything that has been added to HL1 via patches is going to be HL2 ..HL1 is the testing grounds for the features of HL2(valve said this 3 yrs ago and stated they will be testing VAC-voicecomm-tracker-steam(1 other i cant think of) through hl1 to get them tweaked and see the response before they put them in hl2)

Store bought.

I think I will buy my copy from the store and I might pre-order it as well.:borg:

one thing I absolutley dread is this...

Look at doom3..it was shown at e3 a year ago today with a release date similiar to valves..and here we are no doom3 a year later and being shown at e3 again..lol

Hehe. Remember though, VALVe isn't Id (But.... cough*TF2*cough -- Nahhhhh, Source is almost finished I'm pretty sure it'll come out this year, I hope)

Think that they did say it would be available via steam. However, I'm still going for the box. That way, when I go to their complex, perhaps I can get an autograph or 2 :cheese:

Im going to buy it from a store, downloading it would probably take way to long then driving to the local wal-mart or target.

Originally posted by Shockwave
one thing I absolutley dread is this...

Look at doom3..it was shown at e3 a year ago today with a release date similiar to valves..and here we are no doom3 a year later and being shown at e3 again..lol
that probably won't happen with half-life. valve waited this long to tell people that halflife2 even existed, so i think their date is better estimated than most.

I'm glad valve actually announced a date this time rather than using the "when it's done" approach. However, I don't think valve can make the sept. 30 deadline realistically, I would expect a Christmas release. Sept. 30 would be nice, though.

My money’s on a November release. This is insinuated in Gamespy’s preview.

As you might already know, this November marks the fifth anniversary of Half-Life's release, which we've been eyeballing for a possible HL2 launch for some time now. When I mention this, Lombardi just flashes a sly grin and says, "Kinda funny how that works out, huh?" So while we'll be more than happy to play Half-Life 2 come this September, we won't be a bit surprised if the team opts to put an extra month of polish on the game and gives us an anniversary present to remember.

I'm going to pre order it as well :bounce:

Let's just hope that TF2 was delayed for so long so they could release it after Half Life 2 with the Source engine

1. My first post. :cheese: Hiya everyone!

2. I'm gonna pre-order, I like to have the box. :)

Ill buy it thank you very much. I like to take the box with me to bed at night :cheese:

I think ill purchase it from the store. I can only imagne of how long it will take me to download Half-Life2. A million people is going to be clogging up all the servers thats hosting it.

i dont like pre-ordering you dont get anything for your money ....except the guarantee that they can still tell you that they dont have a copy for you you dont get it early ,hell sometime you dont even get it untill the day after if its on steam i WILL be getting it off steam cause i'm annoyed about how much the shops rip us off steam rocks !

Stuff getting it off Steam

1) Downloading it will take while
2) You dont get to read the manual over and over again without having to open Acrobat Reader all the time
3) The download will be teasing you as it takes its time
4) What if Steam crashes for a day....nightmare!

Get it from a shop, you'll be unable to contain yourself while you slip the disc into the drive. Fantastic!

For a substantial saving, I'd download it and forgo the paper and packaging. I have enough boxes and manuals here already.

That's the key, though - how much off?

Originally posted by PainLord
Ill buy it thank you very much. I like to take the box with me to bed at night :cheese:

Same here :cheers:

Yep, store. I don't know if I can trust Steam yet.

Back