Windows 7 stuck in error! D:

Shamrock

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Well, my computer froze so I held in the power button to turn it off, but when it boot up, it yelled at me in the Windows Error Recovery. It says that Windows was turned off untimely and that maybe power was lost and to just use the 'Start Windows Normally' button. I try it, and Windows goes to the Starting Windows screen but just sits there. Then I tried the second option which is the Launch Repair Console... I tried it, but it won't load the repair console. I grabbed the disc, and it won't load the repair console.

I've tried to.... BOOT WITH F8 IN SAFE MODE, but it keeps going to the error recovery console. :|

WHAT THE **** AM I TO DO! I have a Linux CD, and I'm booting up with Ubuntu to type this to you guys. Help me! Please. :(

EDIT: Apparently, it messed up my primary HDD so I need to repair that disc somehow with some kind of USB/CD recovery because I tried to open the HDD, but it won't allow me to and it allowed me to open my secondary HDD.

AHHH D: D: D:

So it's a software error with the HDD? If so, back eveything up with your Ubuntu CD (if you have flash drives/ external HDD) and do a complete reinstall of windows.

If you don't fancy that, google around.

NOTE: If you manage to get startup repair working, system restore only uninstalls recent software, and does not affect any of your personal files, so give that a go to see if it works.

Unlucky :/

Why can't it load the repair mode from the dvd? It should. Make sure you're booting from the disc (F8). Messed up boot files can usually be easily fixed from there.

By "opened" I really hope you mean "double clicked" and not "pryed with a screwdriver". :p

I wish I knew what to do, but I don't have any experience with the recovery console, installation repairs, or anything like that. It sounds like some really important windows file got corrupted, something critical to the OS AND the recovery console, somehow. Or maybe your master file table is corrupted. I really don't know what you should do... Is a reformat possible?

I fear the drive is a dead one. I've been running Windows check disk on it for the past... 20 hours. Seriously. Started it at 3 AM and left it running since. It's now 10 at night.

God damn. Anyway, I ordered a new drive and hopefully this one will stay alive for a long while. Also, I'm hoping I can repair this guy so I can get some things off of it.

I fear the drive is a dead one. I've been running Windows check disk on it for the past... 20 hours. Seriously. Started it at 3 AM and left it running since. It's now 10 at night.

God damn. Anyway, I ordered a new drive and hopefully this one will stay alive for a long while. Also, I'm hoping I can repair this guy so I can get some things off of it.

Good luck! I know you've already ordered the drive but I recommend Western Digital. Both my drives are WDs and i've never had any trouble and they're quiet. I bought it at a premium price over a Seagate which had had some bad reviews.

But you would be extremely unlucky to get sent a dead drive from anyone, so good luck with your rescue project! :p

Note: If you want/can, make a dual boot with linux (Ubuntu ideally) so if you have trouble in the future at least you have an operating system you can use. You could also use it for backups and the such.

Good luck! I know you've already ordered the drive but I recommend Western Digital. Both my drives are WDs and i've never had any trouble and they're quiet. I bought it at a premium price over a Seagate which had had some bad reviews.

But you would be extremely unlucky to get sent a dead drive from anyone, so good luck with your rescue project! :p

Note: If you want/can, make a dual boot with linux (Ubuntu ideally) so if you have trouble in the future at least you have an operating system you can use. You could also use it for backups and the such.
Don't worry. I did buy a WD. I've never had a WD fail either. Usually they're Seagates which is weird because they're supposed to be extremely reliable. I also purchased this at 10$ more than the other drive because it had 5 stars and almost 900 reviews and the other had about 400 and 4 stars.

Also, I'm going to try to fix this other drive ASAP because I honestly don't know what the hell I had installed or anything. I have all of my files on my iPod Touch, but the problem with that is the fact that it doesn't work vice versa. This is where I wish I had something that had a disk mode so I could return files to me compy.

Anyway, I'm hopeful to fixing that drive. It was working before but just taking really, REALLY long. Also, this new drive seems faster than the old one even though it was 7200 RPM as well.

Back