Windows won't start

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
Yesterday evening when booting the computer, it froze duing the loading screen to Windows 7. I rebooted it, and a message came that Windows has failed to start. It gives you two options, one attempting to repair the files, and one start normally. When clicking the first option a loading screen is shown for an instant, then it cuts to black and remains that way. The second option just freezes the loading screen as happened the first time.

I browsed around a bit, and one recommendation is to try to repair Windows from the disc that you installed Windows from. However, I don't have a disc as Windows 7 came preinstalled on my computer.

Any ideas? I still got the warrenty left for the computer, but I'm not sure if it covers software malfunctions. Besides, it takes them three weeks to repair it.

Your hard drive isn't making any clicking sounds when trying to boot up, I hope?

You might want to try booting in to this:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Then running a chkdsk on the drive. Sounds like the hard drive got corrupt. Which oddly enough just happened to me a couple days ago.

On edit, I just remembered this will require you to have a XP CD. You will also need access to another computer to make the CD.

It started working just now. I tried it a few hours ago, but then nothing had changed. Now I just selected for it to boot normally, and it did without any issues. Strange shit. I'm running an anti-virus program, but that doesn't pick anything strange apart from a few tracking-cookies.

Since it's up go to command prompt as administrator and type:

chkdsk C: /r

It will tell you it cant scan it now and will schedule it on reboot. Restart and let it scan, if there are drive errors it will fix it for you. This might take a significant amount of time if there are errors, let it run.

Back