wiring

kdub70

Hunter
Reaction score
hey i just built my first rig and i need help with wiring it to look nice right now they just clutter up my case i thought about wiring behind the mobo but i think the cables are a bit to short any help would be great thanks

Dear god don't put the wires behind the mobo. Just get some cable ties.

This is kind of silly thread. It's not like we can actually help you organize your cables properly other than giving a tip like using cable ties. You didn't even post a picture so we could see what you were working with.

It'd be like if I made a thread asking for help untangling a knot.

The best way to untangle a knot is to find any bits of the string that loops itself back into the knot, and pull at those until you get one end of it out. Just keep repeating that until its untangled.

The best way to untangle a knot is to find any bits of the string that loops itself back into the knot, and pull at those until you get one end of it out. Just keep repeating that until its untangled.

See that's only a tip, it doesn't directly help me. DON'T TRY TO CONTRADICT ME KRYNN

I think Krynn's tip was helpful. I believe I'll never have trouble untying knots again.

Tip: a helpful hint, warning, or other piece of information

Tip: a helpful hint,
It doesn't DIRECTLY help me, it's only a guideline that may help with the process. Direct help would be like "pull on that string right there"

no no no, the best way is to shove your fingers in any gap and pull it randomly till it comes loose. Works best if done while yelling.

It doesn't DIRECTLY help me, it's only a guideline that may help with the process. Direct help would be like "pull on that string right there"

So any thread asking for pointers is useless? Might as well close down the whole hardware & software section since all we get are threads asking for pointers and suggestion on what to buy, nothing that DIRECTLY helps anybody.

@Robbo, I think you're getting your methods mixed up. He was talking about untangling knots, not murdering people by disemboweling them with your bare hands.

So any thread asking for pointers is useless?
I didn't say it was pointless, I said it was kind of silly. Because it's such a practical hands-on problem to organize cables. Advice on which component to buy is so not even the same thing and you know it. Don't try that shit on me.

See that cable? No, no the one that joins that one, is that an adapter or is that an actual connection? Okay so yeah, I think it needs to be tucked behind that uh, box thing, what is that? The red cable, you see what I'm saying? Can you get some cable ties? Cool, so if we, I dunno, gather all the bits from this piece here and sort of, wrap them around each other so they form a kind of rope then I reckon we can, which one? I dunno, maybe it just came with it? Like a spare? Well you could take it out, I mean if you want to get rid of it, but I don't really know what it's for. Give it a go, I suppose. Okay so can you pass the cable ties? I'm going to tie up these two cables, try to see if that wire will reach, can you plug it in a bit closer? Do you have a longer one? Let's tie all these together and try to roll them in to this space here, there's a bit of a gap. Airflow? I guess so, I mean if you look at where the fans are going we kind of need to... Yeah. Okay, so that's pretty sweet.

Good luck with my advice

Component purchases and setups are practical problems as well, and all that can ever be given is tips that don't directly help. Explain to me why a thread asking for tips about wire management is silly when a thread asking for tips about, say, RAID setup isn't.

EDIT: oh, and just so I can say I actually say I tried to stay on topic...

Kdub, you can look into power supplies that have modular cables. These help reduce how many cables are coming out of the power supply, as you only plug in however many you actually need. Some cases also come with motherboard trays that have holes in them for you to put wires through, allowing you to hide the cables behind the tray. Thats how I have my PC set up, with a bunch of cable ties holding the wires back, behind the mobo tray. The ones that aren't long enough to get behind there, I tie them up inside the hard drive/optical drive mounts where there's usually plenty of space.

Well the tip vegeta897 gave me about using cable ties worked i thought about using them before but i wasn't sure it would work.
Also would have included a pic but the camera i have is extremely crappy so all you would have seen is a dark smudge

And thus Krynn is proven right. The tip helped solve the problem. Direct or not, the thread helped solve a problem, making it a not-silly thread. I await your apology Vegeta.

Back