WoW help a newbie out :)

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Just got WoW ....omg there's a ton of info to sift through. I spent an 1 1/2 installing the game as the 2 patches and then another hour trying to decide which race to pick ..as there's so much info I pretty much just closed my eyes and picked one arbitrarily ..dark elf rogue. So now what? what do you recommend that I do first in order to level up as fast as possible? Also what realms are best, what areas should I travel to?, where am I and how did I get there? ...I played for about 15 minutes and got slaughtered by 2 big spiders after completeling my first quest

btw my in game name is Stern ..may change to Stern the elder later on :)

CptStern said:
Just got WoW ....omg there's a ton of info to sift through. I spent an 1 1/2 installing the game as the 2 patches and then another hour trying to decide which race to pick ..as there's so much info I pretty much just closed my eyes and picked one arbitrarily ..dark elf rogue. So now what? what do you recommend that I do first in order to level up as fast as possible? Also what realms are best, what areas should I travel to?, where am I and how did I get there? ...I played for about 15 minutes and got slaughtered by 2 big spiders after completeling my first quest

btw my in game name is Stern ..may change to Stern the elder later on :)
Go where its really cold, trust me.

Oh btw I've never played it so I'm most likely sending you to your doom :)

Excellent, another convert. :)

Blizzard does its best to keep things simple early on and then once you grasp the fundamentals, it moves you on to more difficult things.

You are in the starting area for night elves. That means the entire area you are in does not have extremely challenging enemies so you shouldn't have to worry about dieing. Once you reach a certain level you will receive a quest telling you to move on to a new zone. As you move to that new zone, things start to become more clear to you. It just takes time.

WoW is almost solely quest based for leveling up. So you want to find a NPC with a gold exclamation point above their head and right click on them. Accept the quest and do whatever it tells you to do. It is really that simple. Just accept the quests and do what it says. The first quest doesn't have you go more than a stone's throw away from where your starting location is. NPC's will only give you quests that you can handle.

I think reading the manual would help you the best. It took me many hours of play time to learn all the stuff myself when I could have read the manual and made my life easy.

One last thing, be sure to explore every area completely. WoW is packed with details and full of little surprises.

great choice on buying the game! :D

WoW is quest driven, so you level up while questing and killing things. people who have a quest for you have a big '?' above their head. go up to them and speak to them (right click), and they'll go off on a little jackanory, and you'll probably get a quest telling you to kill 10 tigers or sabres or something. if you're not sure where to find them, just ask someone in General chat.

once you've killed/gathered enough, go back to the quest giver, look for someone with a big '!' above their head. this means that you can complete a quest and get an xp reward + a little present, maybe a dagger or some food etc.

here's a map you might find handy: http://www.clanwind.com/wow/content/teldrassil.htm

basically, it'll all come naturally after you get a few quests under your belt and the xp starts rolling in.

have fun :)

The Dark Elf said:
Go where its really cold, trust me.

Oh btw I've never played it so I'm most likely sending you to your doom :)

go where it's cold? that's the dwarven starting area, and for a young night elf it would be an excellent idea to travel to a different starting area (after they have completed most of the quests in their own), because it allows the player to soak up the experience of the easier quests before they become too easy to give you any decent EXP. not only that but the jeourney would be perilous but exiting- for a fledgling rouge, catching a boat from darkshore and sailing over to the marshes would be a very interesting experience. Not only that but the auction is in ironforge- under the snow, which would mean you could start trading with players early. then you could catch the train to stormwind...

TDE, that was a very responsible suggestion. despite the fact you simply said a random place, that was top notch advice ;)

Man, I can't wait for this now.

I'll pre-order after Christmas for some great fun.

The Dark Elf: hmmmm am I supposed to be snipe-hunting here? It's awfully cold and all the dwarves are pointing and laughing at me

blahblahblah: I shouldnt be worried about dying? I've already been spider food on my second quest :E ....and then I had to go to bed :) tonight I'll search for my body :) btw when you accept a quest is there a map telling you where you're supposed to go? man I got lost 10 feet from where I started in my first quest, searched forever for the first quest dude and he was 10 feet away from me :0 I guess I was walking in circles

Dedalus: thanks for the info ..I think what made me decide to get WoW was the positive feedback from this community ..well that and I think I need a break from ww2 games :)

Suicide42: dood! everything you said sounds like chinese to me ...hopefully as I explore a bit it'll all make more sense :E but useful info none-the-less

Kangy: btw just to let you know ...you still need either a credit card or game card to create an account ..it should tell you this on the box, but there's no way of starting a new account without submitting your CC info or gamecard serial number

Lol, you sound just like me when I started playing WoW. I was confused like no other. I even got lost like you too. :D

Dieing in WoW penalizes you very little. In fact you get rewarded with a cool post-processing effect where your screen turns black, white and gray and you must travel to your body to ressurect yourself. The only penalty you receive is the lost time for dieing (traveling to your body) and a 10% durability hit on the armor you are wearing. Your body will be shown on your map.

Don't use the spirit healer unless your body is in an unreachable location. Otherwise you will have a 25% durability hit on your armor and 10 minute ressurection sickness (your stats decrease by 75%).

Good choice of game :E

So, so far...what are your thoughts of it?. I'm jealous that you've actually got it though :(

The Dwarf area, and Ironforge (one of the main cities) are in the snowy mountains (the cold :p). Each area is sooo soooo sooo much different to one another, you would'nt think it was the same game.

Stern, dying doesnt matter AT ALL. it takes anything from 1 - 3 minutes to run back to your corpse, as there are plenty of graveyards. plus it looks damn cool :D If you dont want to run back to your corpse you can always instantly ressurect too- and this only gives you a 10 minute deduction to stats and damage to items (that can be repaired for a tiny amount of money anyway), and if you just want to trade or talk with freinds or arrange items, 10 minutes is nothing.

Blizzard have really tried to make the game as fun as possible, with no penalties for wanting to take risks and enjoy the game. If you are facing a huge monsterous beast that is way too good for you- why not have a go at beating it? what's the WORST that could happen?

*edit* damn j00 blahblah! you beat me to it!

and like alig said, the environments range from the surreal but wonderfully dreamlike night elf forests, to the deserted, scorched barren plains- to the lush green mountainous dwarven region with carved sculptures of fallen kings towering over you.... and don't even get me started on the 6 main cities... wow!

Aww, what the heck. Each city is unique and amazing, with huge, awe-inspiring interiors that blow you away. Stormwind (human capital) has gigantic statues of past heroes lining the way into the bulging city streets, and the undead capital lorderon is a decimated human city that will be very similar if you have played WC3... but underneath lies a huge labyrinth of cavernous canals and rotting undead. you can even hear the echoes of lorderons previous kings in the entrance... as well as Arthus killing his father... a wonderful reminder to all the WC3 fans.

so when I'm dead how do I know where my body is?

Alig: I played a grand total of 30 minutes :) So far so good :E ...although I did manage to die a horrible spider induced death ..it's a bit confusing but the rest of the peeps here who've played the game seem to know it quite well, so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I have much to do and tons of things to see

btw is it possible to join european realms? or am I only allowed to be on the north american ones?

CptStern said:
so when I'm dead how do I know where my body is?

Alig: I played a grand total of 30 minutes :) So far so good :E ...although I did manage to die a horrible spider induced death ..it's a bit confusing but the rest of the peeps here who've played the game seem to know it quite well, so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I have much to do and tons of things to see

btw is it possible to join european realms? or am I only allowed to be on the north american ones?

On your mini-map, there will be a little diamond, when you hover your mouse over that diamond it will say "corpose of stern". Follow that diamond until it asks you if you wish to ressurect. As a pointer, make sure the spot you are ressurecting at is free from hostile creatures (when you click on a creature, the color behind the creatures name will tell you if it will attack you on site. Red means hostile, green means non-hostile enemy must attack it for it to attack you).

WoW has not been released yet in Europe.

ahhh! thx Blahblahblah ..does that also work with quests? I never now what direction to go in :)

so how are the european people playing? the beta?

Doubt they will allow exsisting american accounts to be used on the EU servers. Maybe a whole new account made after the EU release could work.

You'll have to tell us if your still wanting to get Vampire Bloodlines in a few days ;) That is if you still think theres a world outside of WoW! :p

A thing about that minimap is its laggy and your corpse cursor does'nt show for several minutes, its best to go on the world map and your corpse should show instantly and also it gives the minimap a kick in the ass and makes it show on that. Well it did in beta.

I think I can wait to play vampire bloodlines for a few more ...errr months :)

CptStern said:
does that also work with quests? I never now what direction to go in :)

Nope. Make sure to read your quest log carefully. It almost always tells you where to go, and will even give you landmarks to find. There will be a yellow dot on your mini-map though whenever you get close to a NPC that will complete your quest. (assuming you've finished it.)

Speaking of WoW, can anyone log on atm?
I cant get on, and I was wondering, Is that auth server down or something?

Homer said:
Speaking of WoW, can anyone log on atm?
I cant get on, and I was wondering, Is that auth server down or something?

I wrote an 8 page paper and took a comprehensive final today. I finally come back to my computer and the WoW servers are down. :|

Why did they start have to screwing with stuff? It was perfectly stable and lag free until they did whatever updates today. :frown:

the support forum doesnt even say anything, because the same auth server is used for the forum and people cant log in.

hmmmm played last night again had a great time getting my revenge on spiders ..made it to lvl 5 ..but now I'm not sure if I should continue as a rogue ...I mean all I have is a stinkin' knife ..how am I supposed to kill lotsa things with just a little butter knife? I cant even wear anything but leather!

what classes would you guys recommend? I dont want to be saddled with a weak high level character

rogues are the best damage dealers in the game. next to shamans, mages and warlocks. it'll be well worth your effort to stick with the rogue until the higher levels, as you get some awesome abilities along the way.

the class that should deal awesome damage (warrior) is extremely underpowered right now, so if you're interested in being a warrior, best wait for the next patch to see if they fix anything.

but definitely stick with the rogue. you'll get dual wield (just like Enemy Territory!) after you reach lvl 10 i think, and you get all sorts of abilities like eviscerate and back stab etc. you also get to tinker with poisons *cue evil laugh*. so you've got a lot going for you if you persevere.

sold! rogue it is ...heheheh dual weilding colt-45's (like in Enemy territory) soooo coool!!! ;)

You should be a dwarf, their maps are amazing, the other races maps are cool too, but with dwarfs you got the snowy moutains and all that.

Rogues are definitely great classes. They have some really fun abilities too. Dropping into the shadows and sneaking up behind the enemy, then performing a back stab, then dual weilding daggers/swords will rack up some serious damage per second. Then you've got other finishing moves like eviscerate and you're a power to be reckoned with.

Level 10 is really where the game starts. That's where you get your first main abilities and start accumulating talent points that you put towards three different skill trees. You can only max out one tree, but you can feel free to mix up skills from each tree if you wish. Some great combinations for your character, that can differ from other rogues.

CptStern said:
hmmmm played last night again had a great time getting my revenge on spiders ..made it to lvl 5 ..but now I'm not sure if I should continue as a rogue ...I mean all I have is a stinkin' knife ..how am I supposed to kill lotsa things with just a little butter knife? I cant even wear anything but leather!

what classes would you guys recommend? I dont want to be saddled with a weak high level character

Be sure to visit your rogue trainer and buy some abilities. They will let your character do amazing things.

Rogues do a lot of damage. You will enjoy your character class.

CptStern said:
I think I can wait to play vampire bloodlines for a few more ...errr months :)

yea, i wouldnt bother getting it. I have it, and i LOVE the characters and the conversations, but the actual game just doesnt feel right. The graphics seem annoying somehow.. i think it's the people... they look to smooth and bright, they should be dreary and run down. plus there are so many bugs... the last level i played, you could jump on a crate and look over a fence, and see that there was just a black void. you could also see this if you went into 3rd person perspective and went near the fence. And the combat... yuck.

I actually love vampire as a game, it's just that i am a fan of perfection (which is why i love World of warcraft), and bloodlines is FAR from even finished. For gods sake, it took me 2 hours to run the game, i had ti delete an important part of the windows configuration in order to play it (after making a backup, of course).

WOW, however, is perfect! no bugs! no glitches! and it's an MMO!!! what an amazing achievement. /pats blizzard on the back

I'd get the collectors edition so i can get into the Beta and play over Christmas but i just cant afford it... :( im250 quid in debt i found out today, and work have given my no hours over Christmas, im utterly gutted. ;(

oldagerocker said:
I'd get the collectors edition so i can get into the Beta and play over Christmas but i just cant afford it... :( im250 quid in debt i found out today, and work have given my no hours over Christmas, im utterly gutted. ;(

seriously, if you're in need of cash, i'll buy that CE off you for £100 :D

*edit* maybe £70...

oldagerocker said:

I know the feeling, i've got the CE WoW ordered...the card i ordered it with is a solo card and is £130 overdrawn which has to be payed before gameplay take payment (which i don't know when that is) otherwise i can kiss my WoW goodbye and welcome another £30 charge on my card :/

Alig said:
I know the feeling, i've got the CE WoW ordered...the card i ordered it with is a solo card and is £130 overdrawn which has to be payed before gameplay take payment (which i don't know when that is) otherwise i can kiss my WoW goodbye and welcome another £30 charge on my card :/

If you want i can resolve your problem :D

*waits hopefully*

Suicide42 said:
If you want i can resolve your problem :D

*waits hopefully*

No its ok :p I got payed today and my balance is above zero now :D ...i've had £90 of £250 ...mother****ers!, banks suck. :(

Back