Writing a Novel

fishdbaz

Spy
Reaction score
So I'm trying to write a novel. I've wanted to write a novel since I was ten, so this is pretty much one of my grand aspirations, I guess.

The protagonist is a marketer named Sam O'Sullivan. It's set in an alternative 1987 where Earth was conquered by aliens decades ago. In a reversal of the done-to-death alien invasion trope though, the aliens have actually been assimilated by the humans. The primary themes of the story are the power of persuasion and the fallibility of perception.

I'm writing the whole thing out in blog form. My hope is that people will read it and give me constructive criticism with which I can improve it and that I might perhaps also entertain some people in the process.

Read what I've got, if you like. If you think it's worthwhile, then tell your friends, because only about a half dozen people know about it right now.

http://fishdabaz.blogspot.com/2012/02/humanity-inc-intro.html

Have any of you guys ever written a novel before? If so, have you got any advice?

Keep chugging. My advice is ask for peer review with you have at least 20 more pages. Don't spend too much time deciding what your characters are doing and so forth.

Sounds good so far! It is also one of my life dreams to write a novel, glad to see others with the same aspiration. The only thing that I thought could be changed was replacing 'himself' in the first paragraph with 'themselves', but that's just me.

The only thing that I thought could be changed was replacing 'himself' in the first paragraph with 'themselves', but that's just me.

I would've replaced "himself" with "herself", but fishdbaz doesn't need the controversy.

Hahaha women in the kitchen joke haven't heard that one before.

Sounds like an interesting concept.

Maybe it's just me but I had to squint while reading the intro. The text is too bright or the background is too dark.

I did that NanoWrimo challenge where you write a novel in a months time, was very fun and I personally believe anyone can do kit

Back