WTF, it says I cheated on the challenge...

we11er

Reaction score
I just tried the challenges, first one on minimum portals... I didn't even use save, got 7, but it said "CHEAT" in big red letters and hasn't recorded a score. What gives?

You make me sick, we should ban you. Let me guess...

sv_cheats 1

noclip

Have you got commentary on? I believe that turns cheats on when you activate it so try turning it off and see what happens.

Have you got commentary on? I believe that turns cheats on when you activate it so try turning it off and see what happens.

Is there commentary on the challenges? I thought it only had it on the normal game?

If you go on the commentary in the normal game, and then load up a bonus or advanced challenge, the commentary nodes will remain - thus 'CHEAT', because you're invincible.

It's annoying, but you just have to start up a normal 'new game' and THEN load up the challenge to get the game off 'commentary mode'.

Otherwise, the only reason I can think of is that you had sv_cheats set at 1.

I went through the entire game and then looked at challenges and found I had none!

It was because I used the "-dev" startup option to skip the menu level loading and other startup movies... but it ALSO turns on cheats, dangit.

So thats another way it can get turned on. There should be a big CHEATS ON message at the start screen if they are enabled, since it now matters when playing single player.

If you go on the commentary in the normal game, and then load up a bonus or advanced challenge, the commentary nodes will remain - thus 'CHEAT', because you're invincible.

It's annoying, but you just have to start up a normal 'new game' and THEN load up the challenge to get the game off 'commentary mode'.

Otherwise, the only reason I can think of is that you had sv_cheats set at 1.

Thanks, that was the reason. I wouldn't dream of using sv_cheats or noclip.

edit:

Damn, I did all the advanced maps too, it isn't registering the achievements ;(

Hmm, I restarted portal and did all the advanced levels again. It showed the achievemens as complete, but when I restart portal the icons are back to locks, even though it says 2/2 4/4 6/6 etc. There is nothing on my portal stats page through steamcommunity.

Arg.

Back