yellow map

U

ultrix

i wonder will that yellow-textured basic map be a good feature...

Actually, it's called an orange map.

The purpose is so level designers can create their map without being bound by texture limitations.

I was actually looking at that screenshot of the orange map, and was thinking "This could work as-is with no textures" lol. I like the orange color!

Of course it will be a good feature, it makes it so mappers can concentrate on the actual shape of things and geometry and the textures as two seperate fields. It should also make the compiles much much faster, which any mapper will tell you is awesome. So hurray orange mode! :thumbs:

that's kind of like what i used to do for maps. i'd just pick a random texture like concrete and make all the shapes first, then do texturing after.

Hmm...I think that actually the orange textures may be different. I think I saw a close up shot of one of the scenes with it rendered in that, and instead of "pure orange" each have a certain name associated with them (so like railing, etc) that is listed. I think that way they can also test the properties of the map, since you know they've been saying that wood is inherantly different from metal, etc. Now THAT would be cool.

I think you right, because while testing, they want to know if they wanna know if a railing is there or now :eek:? lol, I seen the screen shot that you are talking about, i actually believe i posted that one, but anyway, the screenies look awesome, now all we can do is wait.. paciently..for a while.. untill sept 30th.. 29th to be exact........ How about we get some crowbars and goto the valve hq and get the game now.

skhl2.jpg

they have to finish it first. :-P

but maybe the crowbars will help them work faster.

lol, that could also be a bad idea in terms of us hitting them so hard, so many times cause they are not working fast enuff, we might kill them :eek: :eek:

Yeah, if you look at the screenshot on a map in orange mode, each surface has the name of (what I assume to be) the texture assigned to it already. And as we all know, the properties of a surface will be determined by the texture.

well by seeing them movies, looks like you can interact with ALMOST anything, if not anything. Im so excited.. I think that we should have a race.. First one to beat the game wins nothing :) It would be like Eco Challenge. 5 Day race, no cheats.. :afro:

heh.. the only problem w/ the race is you wont have proper time to enjoy the game, unless u want to lose. Lets give it a month or two out then talk about racing through SP :D

Its gonna take soooo long to get through this game fully and explore each idea in each area (which is not a bad thing at all!) - take that vid where there are all those barrels, gas mask guys and the crane. I would have shot the explosive barrel and hoped to have taken the guys out, but the player shoots the crane and it swings that girder across! And then he blows the metal container onto the guy down below. There will be so many stratagies to complete each bit fo the game, you could go in all guns blazing or you could chose to use the physics system to complete it. Absolutely stunning! :cool: :cool: :cheese:

About that, one thing I was suspicious about, when Gordon used a grenade and dropped the big metal crate down, notice how the Combine Solider ran directly into the planks of wood which fell out of the big crate? It gets more on my nerves every time I watch it, I keep thinking that he was scripted to run to that location when the crate falls, and that the wood inside the crate is scripted to fall out at that particular location.

I hope it's not though, and that the Valve dudes slaved over it for hours untill the wood and the Combine Solider connected. :cheese:

And judging by the way all the other objects are affected by physics, I see no reason why the planks of wood inside the crate shouldn't be realisticly affected too.

lol now you've pointed that out its annoying me now. You're right tho, it does look a bit planned, moving to exactly where the planks of wood are sticking out. It could be explained by chance and AI tho - the enemy noticed a danger (falling container) and tried to escape but the barrels blocked his way so he fell back on himself to try and find another way.

Ahh yes, I just watched it again (and again, and again..) and you were right, he runs the other way to escape but the barrels cause him to run forwards and get crushed.

Still a bit of a coincidence, though. And naturally there was some planning, in the placement of the metal crate and the barrels, but since it was just a demo to show off, im sure the real game will be way more realistic :D

It would have been more realistic for the Combine to knock the barrels over and fall over, escaping the beam but getting crushed. So what if it's planned, there's bound to be much more options also planned as well. You could have just blown up the container and crushed them, then jumped down, grabbed the HK, shot out the beam so it'll swing, and them take cover at the bottom of the stairs and kill the survivors. Also, an easy way to stop the combines chasing you would be to push all the crap down the stairs and shot the propane tank to set everything on fire as well as create an explosion, making you get away very easily.

Did anyone notice the door behind the garbage container, you could have also gone through that building and avoided the Combines altogether.

Ahh, that's something I'd like to see in HL3 - NPC's who act like real people, so they can trip over and stuff. :)

my 2 basc units f currency

I'm not overly excited about the orange map; when producing maps for HL, I'd always create the brushes to fit the textures. I found it easer to visalize what the map would look like (what sort of theme I was aiming for) when drawing the textures is PS. Hopeflly there will be the option to texture 'as you go' as well.

What I am excted about, though, is the displacement maps. As far as I can tell (from looking at the 2 hammer screenshots) you will be able to create a flat ground in hammer, then apply a sort of decal that tells the game it should be curved, creating realistic ground with minimum effort.

Would displacement mapping and/or the impact craters make us be able to modify textures realtime in extremes? A la digging your own foxhole in a WW2 mod or have impact craters create realtime from a rocket or grenade?

Originally posted by 2ltben
Would displacement mapping and/or the impact craters make us be able to modify textures realtime in extremes? A la digging your own foxhole in a WW2 mod or have impact craters create realtime from a rocket or grenade?

Look's like we'll have to wait and see. That feature would be awesome, and may well be possible, since say, wood splinters when you shoot it, barrels spark when you shoot them, why shouldn't rock crater when it gets bombed?

If it's not in, no doubt some bright coder will code it into a mod (hopefully DOD! :))

Incorporating coding into mapping was the best thing valve could do, now we can get away with impact craters and stuff we can't do in the original HL.

The very first gamespot video - the guy says that they can alter environments in realtime, then they show you the ground moving up and down.

I suppose if it wasnt in the game to begin with, it shouldnt be that difficult to code :p :farmer:

I'm not overly excited about the orange map; when producing maps for HL, I'd always create the brushes to fit the textures. I found it easer to visalize what the map would look like (what sort of theme I was aiming for) when drawing the textures is PS. Hopeflly there will be the option to texture 'as you go' as well.

derby:
I always thought you can still texture the map, but in the compile you can shoose not to compile with the textures, I might be mistaking but this would be great.
Or if you are making a scene, like the crane, and wanna modify it to trick the enemy into making something like this, the compile would be a lot faster.
Just a though, oh and hi everybody, my first post here.

Yep, your gonna be able to do a hell of a lot with the new engine, i'm looking forward to mapping a load of stuff. I remember using worldcraft, and how you could see what the hell u just built because everything was pure white.

I'm definately happy and looking forward to the orange stuff :cheers:

Originally posted by TPBin
Yep, your gonna be able to do a hell of a lot with the new engine, i'm looking forward to mapping a load of stuff. I remember using worldcraft, and how you could see what the hell u just built because everything was pure white.

I'm definately happy and looking forward to the orange stuff :cheers:

I also hope there will be a new Quark editor,
it's a very powerfull one and I always loved it to work with it,
this because of his powerful features.

I used Quark before I even started up worldcraft, and I got very attached to it.
But I joined the worldcrafters cause there where so many people using it in the cscommunity, and now I tried quark again.
Damn I can't use it anymore, it's a great tool when you are used to it, but I don't wanna go through it again :)
But ya a new quarktool would be great, and I pretty much believe there will be one.
Hopefully GTK or another version of Radiant will have hl2 support as well...

*uNf*
Man I love every single thing I've heard about HL2 so far. I cant wait till it comes out so I can play my brains out.

It'd be kind of funny to have a final version of a map be in the orange too...

Orange Map Like Wow!

The orange map will change mapping. I hate having to texture just do get my map going and test it for neatness and architecture. That will save a lot of time. Go HL2!

ClanKros

Back