You rock out?

• I sure do!

Votes: 46 88.5%
  • No that's gay.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm gay.

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
AC/DC has at least one great song on every album, and like 15 albums spanning like 35 years.

**** yourselves.

I'm generally not one for hard rock/metal but I have a soft spot for Iron Maiden.

A typical critcism of AC/DC from someone who hasn't heard any of their music. Nothing makes them stand out from the crowd? How about being pioneers of hard rock music? They're like Led Zeppelin if Led Zeppelin had more than 3 good songs.

I have actually heard quite a good few of their most popular tracks hence why I am making the critism. I am just not one for hard rock, its just far too basic and repetative to me.

So if you're not into that type of music how can you call it shitty? I don't run around saying techno is shitty and takes no skill just because I don't like it. It does take skill, I'm just not one for that music though.

I don't judge genres of music that I don't listen to. I did that with rap, and after listening to it, I was an idiot for judging it poorly. Same with country/western - I always thought it was redneck hick music, and it's not.
With every genre of music, you've got a few really good artists, a few really bad artists, and a bunch of clones.

So if you're not into that type of music how can you call it shitty? I don't run around saying techno is shitty and takes no skill just because I don't like it. It does take skill, I'm just not one for that music though.
Right. But then you're drifting into "you're not allowed to have your own opinion" territory. If I don't like a genre, or a type of music, or a certain band, I have as much a right to say they suck as you do to say they're awesome.

So: I realise that AC/DC are technically proficient but I think they suck. The first two-thirds of that sentence are to be assumed when you only see the final third.

You can say they suck if they actually do. You can't say they suck if they are technically proficient and have millions of fans. They obviously don't suck, they just aren't you're type of music.

As much as I hate to admit it, I can't say for example Soulja Boy sucks, he raps and lots and lots of people like it. I personally don't like his music though.

Maybe if you said they suck for you. But they don't suck in general. If they did they wouldn't be where they're at today.

EDIT: I'm also somewhat confused at the poll saying only 1 person doesn't rock out...

But 4 people are gay.

You can't say they suck if they are technically proficient and have millions of fans. They obviously don't suck, they just aren't you're type of music.
Yes, actually I can, because that's a logical fallacy. Besides which, we both know that technically proficient != musically proficient.

Maybe if you said they suck for you. But they don't suck in general. If they did they wouldn't be where they're at today.
You should re-read what I said:

"I realise that AC/DC are technically proficient but I think they suck. The first two-thirds of that sentence are to be assumed when you only see the final third."

If I say "AC/DC suck", do you really, honestly think that I'm trying to make an empirical observation? Am I really trying to communicate an invincible, unwavering truth to you? No. It's an opinion.

Yes, actually I can, because that's a logical fallacy. Besides which, we both know that technically proficient != musically proficient.

Truth, Dream Theater are wizards on their instruments but most of their songs suck d***.

In the end though this type of argument is always susceptible to being a slippery slope, for example there's no objective way you can say Beethoven was better at making music than Fall Out Boy.

Guys, don't criticize people's taste in music. Wars have been started that way you know.

I have an encyclopedic knowledge of every drumbeat in most every song I listen to because of air drumming. I've gone so far as to develop a technique that creates the least possible reverberation while allowing for maximum speed without people yelling at me.

Man I need a better drumkit.

Truth, Dream Theater are wizards on their instruments but most of their songs suck d***.

Most progressive rock artists are extremely technically proficient.

Usually I listen to old eccentric prog rock, usually about themes like paedophilia and science fiction. But when something turns up, I do.

As a music student, I have listened and evaluated many diffrent types of music...

In my opinion: newer age rap... ie post 2000, is digressing musically. there is becoming a huge lack of any harmonies or counter melodies. It mainly consists of a bass line, or a single homophonic riff, repeated through out the entire song, and usualy one artist talking, not singing lyrics. there will most likley also be a back up artist repeating what the main artist says, or repeating one or two simple phrases.

That is not to say that it is completely bad. as a music student, I dont like it because there is only one simple rhythm for the listener to concentrate on...
However, it is very appealing for many people. and in some cases, it can be fun to dance or go clubbing to.

Moreover Sledgehammer and moritz are very right. Many artists of that genre can do things on thier instruments that no one else in the world can.

EDIT: I use maiden only as an example, there are many other bands out there that this applies to! (i didnt see Geogaddi's post)

If you take iron maiden for an example: lead singer bruce dickenson is an incredibly talented vocalist. He uses his vocal ability to sing melodies with a varying range and pitch. if you have ever been to a maiden concert, then you will agree that people like shakira or riahhna could learn a thing or two from him.
Maiden's music is full of many layers of melodies and harmonies that give their songs a deep texture.
the composition of their music is very well thought out. It utilizes many keys which reflect the tone of the song, in unison with key changes in accordance to the tone.
there are usualy one or two lead guitarists, who play two contrasting melodies along with the vocals, as well as a bass player who arpeggiates the chords, and a guitar player or two to fill the chords.
the combination of all of this produces full sounding music with many diffrent voices to entertain the listener.

I am not saying that you should go and be a fan of every metal band. Every genre has exceptions. and there are always many many artists in any genre who are incredible on thier instrument of choice.

However. the general tendancies of musical complexion in rap music with in the past few years has been degrading to the point where it is questionable if the definition of music is inclusive of it

I tend to put on fast strident music when I need to tidy my room or organise my stuff. This results in me dancing around my room and tidying up in time to the beat. Often to Battles or Polysics or something like that. Occasionally also to The Clash.

Sulkdodds in Replies To Original Thread Topic Rather Than Fun-Size Debate shocker.
Also this:
I'm generally not one for hard rock/metal but I have a soft spot for Iron Maiden.

I like AC/DC, they have some fun songs to "rock out" to. However, playing CAKE will give me minute long siezures of joy.

However. the general tendancies of musical complexion in rap music with in the past few years has been degrading to the point where it is questionable if the definition of music is inclusive of it

This is so, so wrong and you know why? Because it's fast approaching the territory of ''here I go making generalizations about a HUGE genre based off of a few examples I have heard in the past'' - I'm going to go right out and presume you've heard rap on the TV and radio, which is basically the 1% of music that we call mainstream.

If anything, since 2000 onwards rap and hip-hop has been anything BUT decreasing in musical value, or at least everything I've been keeping an ear to hasn't. But it's all going to depend on what you hear. I say presumptions because I cannot believe you have listened to, say, Themselves' The No Music or Dalek's Absence and decide whether it is questionable to the definition of music. On that point, the day when someone comes out and tries to 'define' music and set the parameters of what individuals should be meeting is going to be a very dark day indeed. Also: comedic. It's complexions should have nothing to do with it's standard.

I wouldn't of expected anything along the lines of ''rap is this, this music is that...'' from you, being a music student and all...

I'm going to go right out and presume you've heard rap on the TV and radio, which is basically the 1% of music that we call mainstream.
/QUOTE]

No, I have not been exposed to EVERY single rap song, or of any genre for that matter.
That would be a very hard feat to accomplish, I would think impossible because it would take many life times.

There are many different medians in which one can be exposed to music, and a large part of that is the mainstream media... IE television and radio. and yes that probably excludes the entire genre of Indie, so then the next best thing would be to go and buy cds. because Piracy is Illegal!!!!!!!!
anyways... I am not made of money, so i have not went out and bought many new rap cds in my lifetime as it is a genre that does not appeal to me. but as i said, it is fine and i accept that it appeals to many many people
I have heard a large amount of rap, from various friends of mine, of which I saw similar tendencies to what i previously described.
Sure, some music that is classified as rap, may not follow those trends.
some of what i have heard may also be classified as hip-hop, which to me, the boarder between the two is covered in fog.

some of the main music or artists i was refering to would be people like little wayne, Chamillionare, mims, young buck, the game. these are I guess main stream... but i wouldnt really know

I apologize if I offended you, TheAntipop, or anyone else. but in your case, my exposure to perhaps some or all of the music you would define as good rap, may be limited for me due to location. different continents and all...
There is still some rap that I do like, such as Dr.Dre, or Kanye. but when listening to music, I always try to keep an open mind when hearing ssomething for the first time

Yeah, you know there are a whole lot of ways to listen to music freely and legally. Myspace, pandora, deezer, spotify, which is not to mention buying singles from iTunes. It's not like anyone watches music television anymore anyway.

Anyway Kanye is pretty cool.

Yeah, you know there are a whole lot of ways to listen to music freely and legally. Myspace, pandora, deezer, spotify, which is not to mention buying singles from iTunes. It's not like anyone watches music television anymore anyway.

Im pritty sure even on Much music (i cant even remember what channel its on) shows more stupid shows like cribs or pimp my ride than play music videos anyways
the problem with Myspace or pandora or those types of websites, is that you need to know what you are looking for... some more specifically than others (we dont get pandora in canada...legal issue or something... believe me ive tried)

I'm not offended, it's just when people say something like rap is this and rap and hip-hop instrumentation is that annoys me because as you said, there is no way anyone has heard it all and from my point of view, as a listener of quite alot of very unique rap and hip-hop from the last few years it all seems to come from a very linear approach to summing music up by judging an entire genre prematurely from a small selection of artists broadcasted from the mainstream media - The Game and Chamillionaire, for example.

I guess people are always going to be put off an entire genre because they might not like the small percentage they hear that has made it through to the mainstream, and it's saddening, but I see the most flak towards hip-hop and rap these days and personally it's one of the most original and interesting genres I've heard.

the problem with Myspace or pandora or those types of websites, is that you need to know what you are looking for...

I find it works pretty well thinking the opposite to this. I like to browse and listen to music on impulse - catchy artwork, interesting album titles/names, recalling seeing someone listening to them on another forum... Free music is free music - if it doesn't sound that great to you, run another search in a different direction and have another listen to someone else. I recommend Spotify for browsing. I also recommend Fennesz' Venice album. To everyone. Lovely noisy soundscapes. Fuzz fuzz fuzz.

I guess I understand where people come from. I mean, honestly, who can help being put-off from rap because of Soulja Boy and shit artists like that? I was. But then I did discover good rap, and then great rap.

I guess people are always going to be put off an entire genre because they might not like the small percentage they hear that has made it through to the mainstream, and it's saddening, but I see the most flak towards hip-hop and rap these days and personally it's one of the most original and interesting genres I've heard.

I completely agree, and I find this for a lot of other genres... mainly heavy metal. well, actually I think a lot of people associate heavy metal with screaming with no harmonic intention, or thought

as for browsing music and stuff. I find i never have the time to look or explore for new music... im usually busy with some project or playing DM... both of which have limited room for stumbling on to new music.
The local music scene in my city is very good however. I love going to see local bands play, I think that is where the really good music is. but i have never really seen any local rappers...could be just my city... who knows?

on a side note-TheAntipop, do you have a link for that site...spotify or whatever it was?

I rock out in my chair, headbanging, air guitaring and air-drumming.

I'm rocking out to All Nightmare Long right now as a matter of fact. Double foot-pedal drumming to be specific.

I'm 2-stepping while seated at the moment. Quite some skill required.

i do some air drumming usually, or actually use my fingers to play the edge of the desk
occasionally i'll throw a head bang in

Back