You racist bigot!

Ms Curtis said that rather than preventing the spread of racism, such an attitude was likely to inflame ill-feeling. As another example, she says would that mean that secondary schools could not teach Animal Farm because it features pigs?

OWNED

These stupid offended Muslims are right up there with stupid Christian advocacy groups when it comes to getting offended over trivial shit.

No no no no no, that's not the point of the story - it's Becta's call on it POTENTIALLY being offensive.

I'm all like, "wtf?"

I'm offended at being being such pussy f*cktards that they won't even think about looking at something that could "possibly" be offensive.

Some people need to grow a pair or die.

If our customs offend a minority we should change. Britain is probably one of the most diverse nations on Earth bringing different cultures together as one under one flag. World domination is not achieved through fighting, offending people. The war will be won with hearts and minds and once Britain has achieved this we will be able to rape and pillage until the end of days.

I'm offended at being being such pussy f*cktards that they won't even think about looking at something that could "possibly" be offensive.

blame the people in charge, they were the ones that thought it could potentially offend muslims ..there is no public outcry from muslims over this as some of you are suggesting

Becta, the government funded agency responsible for technology in schools and colleges, says that it is standing by the judges' verdict.

"Becta with its partners is responsible for the judging criteria against which the 70 independent judges, mostly practising teachers, comment. All the partners stick by the judging criteria," said a Becta spokesman.

If our customs offend a minority we should change. Britain is probably one of the most diverse nations on Earth bringing different cultures together as one under one flag. World domination is not achieved through fighting, offending people. The war will be won with hearts and minds and once Britain has achieved this we will be able to rape and pillage until the end of days.

Nobody has the right to not be offended. All cultures, Western countries included, need to learn this before they can integrate with each other.

Also let's make sure the Piggy characters aren't in the next Shrek film.

blame the people in charge, they were the ones that thought it could potentially offend muslims ..there is no public outcry from muslims over this as some of you are suggesting
I meant for my statement to be directed towards the people who banned it thinking it could offend someone. They're the problem. And I think I have a solution. ;)

Sacrificing your culture or another's for the sake of Islam is hardly a great way of bringing about peace.

And cultural diversity should be built upon the acceptance and tolerance of differences. Not abolishing or hiding the potentially offensive. Go down that route and such diversity will just turn into a bunch of homogenized shit.

There is absolutely no reason everybody should have to shift their lives around a few minority voices just because they're intolerant.

it's a school, they must take those sort of things into account ..ever talked to an irate parent with a chip on their shoulder? I have, takes all the self control in the world to not punch them in the face ..parents get offended over the littlest thing AND seeing as how kids are impressionable and the age group of a story like the 3 little pigs is from 4-6, banning a book that could offend a certain demographic in justifiable in a educational system ..it's the exact same reasoning why jews go to hebrew school, catholics go to catholic school and muslims go to bomb making school (amirite?): so as to not be offended by western sensibilities ..it may not make sense, it may do more harm than good but school boards have to take everyone they serve's pov into account

Could be worse.

Where's Waldo is apparently on the National Ban List, or sommat like that.

Yeah but if it weren't for the fact that they always cry foul, we wouldn't even have these retarded preventative measures. I mean come on people, grow some balls and learn to face a world that doesn't conform to your ideologies.

...Bah bah RAINBOW sheep, have you any wool.....

Quit messing with my childhood!

Yeah but if it weren't for the fact that they always cry foul, we wouldn't even have these retarded preventative measures. I mean come on people, grow some balls and learn to face a world that doesn't conform to your ideologies.

preventative measures? it's their decision ..just like not featuring a poster promoting homosexual lifestyles, or not having posters of smiling women about to enter an abortion clinic ...these things wouldnt be the norm at most schools because hey some people might be offended

btw both those posters were hanging at my university commons area when I went to school (but that's post secondary) ..although the girl had more of a worried look than a smile

preventative measures? it's their decision ..just like not featuring a poster promoting homosexual lifestyles, or not having posters of smiling women about to enter an abortion clinic ...these things wouldnt be the norm at most schools because hey some people might be offended

btw both those posters were hanging at my university commons area when I went to school (but that's post secondary) ..although the girl had more of a worried look than a smile

Thank you for supporting my point that these muslim and christian groups getting offended over trivial bullshit is entirely ridiculous.

If they didn't make a fuss over every little thing, we wouldn't have companies making these 'decisions', which are not decisions but actually coercions.

They're not proactive they're reactive.

it's a school, they must take those sort of things into account ..ever talked to an irate parent with a chip on their shoulder? I have, takes all the self control in the world to not punch them in the face ..parents get offended over the littlest thing AND seeing as how kids are impressionable and the age group of a story like the 3 little pigs is from 4-6, banning a book that could offend a certain demographic in justifiable in a educational system ..it's the exact same reasoning why jews go to hebrew school, catholics go to catholic school and muslims go to bomb making school (amirite?): so as to not be offended by western sensibilities ..it may not make sense, it may do more harm than good but school boards have to take everyone they serve's pov into account

And the education system should be teaching these impressionable young kids that people of other cultures and faiths do not always share the same values or beliefs as they do, and that it is important that we accept these differences and not think too harshly of them. I'm sure a lot of Muslims are able to grasp the idea that the author in question was not depicting pigs in her book with the intent of insulting Islam.

The system should not be instilling the false impression that others should rearrange their lives according to what one or a few individuals find decent and appropriate.

Thank you for supporting my point that these muslim and christian groups getting offended over trivial bullshit is entirely ridiculous.

no, I did not support your statement that muslims and christians get offended ..I tried to illustrate that people in general are offended by stupid shit ..just ask people how they feel about gays teaching their kids in school ..you might be surprised by their response

If they didn't make a fuss over every little thing, we wouldn't have companies making these 'decisions', which are not decisions but actually coercions.

what company? it's a governmental agency who's MANDATE is to serve the people intheir jurisdiction ..they have to take everyone into account no matter how insignificant

and companies censor FAR more than government agencies do ..ask TV networks when they're going to allow boobs or swearing or hell perhaps a gay character that isnt a stereotype

And the education system should be teaching these impressionable young kids that people of other cultures and faiths do not always share the same values or beliefs as they do, and that it is important that we accept these differences and not think too harshly of them. I'm sure a lot of Muslims are able to grasp the idea that the author in question was not depicting pigs in her book with the intent of insulting Islam.

you try teaching a 4 year old what a country is nevermind what "culture" is ..all the kids know, and this goes for jews as well is that pigs are unclean so they shouldnt associate themselves with it - that's the extent of it

The system should not be instilling the false impression that others should rearrange their lives according to what one or a few individuals find decent and appropriate.

I can tell you havent been around early childhood education much ..everything they teach is unrealistic, from respect others to the notion that each child is special ..this is what kidergarden is; they teach kids in the most general way possible because that's all they understand

what company? it's a governmental agency who's MANDATE is to serve the people intheir jurisdiction ..they have to take everyone into account no matter how insignificant

and companies censor FAR more than government agencies do ..ask TV networks when they're going to allow boobs or swearing or hell perhaps a gay character that isnt a stereotype

What... have you forgotten all the stories in the news about how muslim companies ban personal items and stuff because they offend or might offend muslims? It's companies, it's government organizations, it's ridiculous.

You know it's funny, I always hear you speaking on the side that I am speaking from now, with the reactions I am having now, yet when the center of focus is presently on Muslim affairs you've taken a 180?

What... have you forgotten all the stories in the news about how muslim companies ban personal items and stuff because they offend or might offend muslims? It's companies, it's government organizations, it's ridiculous.

what companies? like muslim IBM or Muslim mcdonalds banning sausage mcmuffin? it's their freaking choice because of the single underlying raison d'etre for business: make mo money ..people finding offense in a product means "less money, not mo" ..business people care only about ethics when it doesnt interfere with making "mo money"

You know it's funny, I always hear you speaking on the side that I am speaking from now, with the reactions I am having now, yet when the center of focus is presently on Muslim affairs you've taken a 180?

point out where I give my opinion that this is indeed a good thing ..please only hilight the exact words

point out where I give my opinion that this is indeed a good thing ..please only hilight the exact words

You didn't say it, but you sure are acting it. I'm not seeing you exactly throwing out criticism of this which is entirely unlike you. I'm only see you criticizing people who are berating it.

So tell me... are you against this? And don't say it doesn't matter, because every other time you have a strong opinion on something we hear about it.

You didn't say it, but you sure are acting it.

if I were to say for example that you're acting as if you were bitten by a rabid dog then surely it MUST be the case ..you dont speak for me

I'm not seeing you exactly throwing out criticism of this which is entirely unlike you. I'm only see you criticizing people who are berating it.

you see what you want to see, I'm defending the school boards RIIGHT to ban something but that doesnt mean I support it, in fact I've already said I dont ..but again...

you see what you want to see

So tell me... are you against this? And don't say it doesn't matter, because every other time you have a strong opinion on something we hear about it.

you know, out of sheer stubborness I refuse to give my opinion ..why is it that I'm always asked this idiotic question? as if people need to catagorise people by their pov ..what does it matter?

you know, out of sheer stubborness I refuse to give my opinion ..why is it that I'm always asked this idiotic question? as if people need to catagorise people by their pov ..what does it matter?

Well maybe if you haven't already established yourself as somebody that has to clarify their position on practically everything, very explicitly. Maybe also if the fact that you are incredibly selective with where your criticisms lie, but when the exact same things are presented in a situation involving a separate group but pretty much the exact same concept... suddenly your opinion is always nowhere to be found, though your comments and criticism abound on people who do choose to criticize.

That's okay, keep your opinion to yourself if you want to.

Anyways... such an idiotic thing, pre-emptive censoring to cater to a group of people when the subject matter in question is entirely acceptable.

Well maybe if you haven't already established yourself as somebody that has to clarify their position on practically everything, very explicitly.

not my fault some people have a hard time following things

Maybe also if the fact that you are incredibly selective with where your criticisms lie, but when the exact same things are presented in a situation involving a separate group but pretty much the exact same concept... suddenly your opinion is always nowhere to be found, though your comments and criticism abound on people who do choose to criticize.

give examples ..in every single situation I've supported getting at the truth rather than supporting a knee jerk reactionist pov that's all too common at hl2.net

That's okay, keep your opinion to yourself if you want to.

I'm blase either way ..the only reason I keep it to myself is because people make an issue out of me not saying anything ..and I just love twisting the knife when given the opportunity

btw, The article also says that they claim it could "alienate parts of the workforce (building trade)", and that they had "concerns about the Asian community"

yet not a single person mentioned their outrage that construction workers might be offended

you see what you want to see

This is so unbelieably stupid. Another exmaple of Britain: A tip the size of an entire country!

facepalmbq8.jpg

How dare you have a film called Alien! You might offend Scientologists!!

Bloody hell, didn't they actually consider that they'd offend our feelings??

I'm offended that they think that Muslims might be offended by something so bloody trivial.

Silly, although if people think that others could be "offended" by this.. :|

I think the biggest issue is that people think free speech means free action. They also think we have a requirement to listen.

Racism, thankfully, is not a huge deal in Canada.
it is present none the less
BUT, we have great laws in place to do our best to abolish it.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, states that: any citizen of Canada has the right to express their beliefs. this right is void if the method of expression involves harming another person or it imposes ones beliefs forcefully upon others.

"I think the biggest issue is that people think free speech means free action. They also think we have a requirement to listen."

Back