Your Testimony

Reaction score
I wan't to know how alll of you found VALVe. Whether it be, say, you heard about half-life from a friend or something completely different.

I think my first exposure was a demo of Opposing Force (technically a Gearbox game) that I played and replayed a load. Brother then borrowed PS2 copy of Half-Life off a friend at some point. Played the shit out of it for a week or two but for some reason he had loaned his memory card to someone so I couldn't save. Got as far as Blast Pit or Power Up I think.

Later we got it and the two expansions in a pack on PC. After that when Half-Life 2 was announced we were pretty damn excited and followed any bit of news we could of it (didn't use internet much at this point so that was from games magazines and TV shows) until it was finally released. Join this site new year's eve 2004 after having played it.

Friend's said, "No, reallly - despite the misleading cover art, Half Life, Opposing FORCe, and Blue Shift are really fun games - you should try them"... been hooked since.

Played Garry's Mod at a friend's house back in 06, got hooked to that before buying Half-Life 2 Game of the Year edition in early 07 just for Gmod. Soon after I played Half-Life 2 since I didn't really know that much about it and thought it would be worth a try.

Boy was it worth a try.

I guess it was when I first played Half-Life on my brothers computer back in the 90's. HLDM, CS and TFC were pretty much my life from there on out.

I believe it was just random happenstance. I was in a store (no recollection of what store) and saw halflife on a shelf. The box looked cool to me and I wanted to experience any video game I could at that age, so I convinced my dad to buy it for me. When I got home our computer couldn't run it, so it was about 6 months later when we got a new computer and I was finally able to play it. I think it took me awhile to beat it because I was so freaked out by it as a kid, ultimately me and a friend tag-teamed it over a weekend and finished it start to finish.

It wasn't until HL2 that I really even paid attention to who made the game.

My brother went to buy Thief on release day. He came home with a weird orange box that looked like it contained spreadsheet software. Never looked back.

Played Half Life on xbox at a friends house. Kept replaying the part where the rail car flies off the track and you fall down the hole. I think we reloaded that part a good 20 times. Some time shortly after that I built my first gaming PC and have been hooked since.

Got the Half-Life Anthology back in 2006.

I was never big on FPS games and tended to avoid them. When Portal came out, one of my friends said he knew I'd love it, cos it wasn't really an FPS but a puzzle game in first person. So, I got the Orange Box (where I was it was the only way to get Portal at the time - I didn't have Steam either). Slung in the disc, installed Steam and Portal, played Portal until I got stuck... Now, I was bored. Ah hell, might as well try this Half-Life 2 then. About 3 days later, with a hell of a beard growth, an empty belly and a chair smelling of pee, I thought 'Hey, this game is quite good.'

I saw my brothers playing the HL demo when it came out. After that we bought the game. I didn't get really into it until a couple years later when I sort of 'rediscovered' it and started messing around with Hammer and mods.

I found out about Valve by watching Gmod videos.

The day my friends all switched from Quake 2 deathmatch to TFC at our LAN parties in '99.

Back