Zero Dark Thirty

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
...I really don't know what the hell to think about this one. It was more of a biopic about a crazy red-haired woman on an obsessive goal that she was willing to forgo morals to achieve. Of course the grand message here is that it was quite literally crazy the amount of money, manpower and emotional investment the United States as a nation put into finding one man.

I do understand, however, the uneducated seeing it as anti-arab or anti-muslim. I also understand folks saying it's ham-fisted or heavy handed in it's CRITICISM of the United States. I fit more into the later camp. I feel it's not subtle about that at all.

The movie quite objectively does not advocate torture or racism, as some would have you believe about in their blogs. There are some mildly offensive lingual and cultural inconsistencies in regards to Pakistani culture but it stops there.

The film takes a full stop in being a criticism of the United States, and takes an equally drastic stop at being a pro-American pep rally. That leaves us with what the movie does right: making an interesting talking point and giving us an animated character. I'm just not sure the intelligence chase was all that enthralling. I found myself twirling my straw wrapper from time to time and almost laughing at how personal they made every Al-Qaeda based attack seem to the central characters.

As a biopic of a troubled and complex woman, and as an action film for the final ~30minutes or so the film certainly succeeds, otherwise it's a bit of a controversial yet often intriguing mess. What are your thoughts?

I think it's an interesting movie that isn't so much taking a stance on something, but rather saying, this is where we are. There are downsides and upsides to it, the issues are there to be questioned and thought on, but as of right now, this is the situation.

Disclaimer, I have a biased opinion. That last shot/scene struck way too close to home, as it were.

There is no home to go back to.

I mean I caught that the whole thing culminated in her feeling emotionally overwhelmed/fulfilled yet suddenly bankrupt, but in her not giving the pilot any instruction at all I was a bit confused.

I already saw Osombie so I think I'll give it a pass. It'd be like watching the same film twice.

In my opinion, it is the lens through which the entire dialectic disposition of this movie expresses its accumulatio.

I already saw Osombie so I think I'll give it a pass. It'd be like watching the same film twice.

Excellent contribution, Diane

In my opinion, it is the lens through which the entire dialectic disposition of this movie expresses its accumulatio.

Right, it's more a story of a woman who loses touch, willingly or not, with any sense of belonging she once had. It's a biopic which just happens to have this... larger than life backdrop.

I have to watch Osombie. Liek, noaw. Future me hasn't had a thrill like that since seeing The Ruins.

It's a biopic

...ish. (?)

If you are referring to the supposed real life analog to the character, could be, could not be. I personally don't think so, because of reasons.

I think the character operates best as a summation of "America-at-large". Throughout history we've had story after story discussing the merits and faults of revenge. Most of them argue that, upon execution (heh) of said revenge, there is a fundamental lack of substantive emotional feedback to balance the scale, so to speak. This just happens to be the American version, I guess.

Oops, biopic was the wrong word. I doubt sincerely she was as pivotal a character as they portray. I meant character study. It's more about her emotional landscape and how it represents the nation's attitudes. I simply didn't understand the definition of "biopic" properly.

Reactions: MFL
Back