1 Step away from High Def Conversion

Here's where I found a tutorial on how to import CS models in CS:S which expalined how to make the .qc file compatible for CS:S. Unfortunatly that post now requires you to log in to read it and I can't find anywhere to register as a forum user so I guess they're keeping their forums to themselves.

http://www.*************/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Forgot about the over zealuous word filter...

h-l-2-w-o-r-l-d-.-c-o-m
put that where the "*"'s are and take out the "-"'s. (why is it even blocked by the filter??)

There's other tutorials there on modeling which will be useful in the conversion, like making ragdolls of the models, etc...

You also need to convert the textures from the HL1 model into targa files using Photoshop and make sure they have either a width or height that's a power of two (2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,etc) and then convert them useing vtex.exe in the SDK directory.

The QC file needs several revision to it in order for it to compile properly in Source's format. Since I can't look at the tutorial anymore I can't give a precise example but it wasn't difficult, mainly it involved revising the animation calls. Unfortuantly the method doesn't match up for non-weapon models and just doesn't seem to work at all for HL:S when the same method did work for CS:S. Until I can find anymore info (next SDK release) it's too much of a guessing game for me to unravel.

Drax said:
it's too much of a guessing game for me to unravel.

I agree...I can't wait for the real SDK to come out now

I don't know if this will help, but there is a CS: Source QC file in the SDK folder. Comparing that to a regular HL1 QC file may reveal more...

wouldn't you have to edit the new models concerning ragdoll properties (weight, density, skeleton etc.) plus the new facial muscles ?

jimbones said:
wouldn't you have to edit the new models concerning ragdoll properties (weight, density, skeleton etc.) plus the new facial muscles ?

I'm sure Valve did it for the crappy old ones, so doing it for the Hi-Def ones shouldn't be a problem either.

Yea, this info has to come with the SDK, valve them selves stated that converting an old mod over to source should be a breeze and that hl:s was created to test that out.

With the SDK we should have lots of good information on how to convert the models, and also the tools requiered to do so.

Well i'd guess the SDK being released within the next week.

After that a matter of hours or 1/2 days at the most before someone gets alot of the HL2 content over.

I know it's possible, we just need to get people who are motivated. It shouldn't be too hard, I've already seen some tutorials on how to do it. I would, but I don't have the necessary tools.

I don't know how different the process is for compiling hl2 models from hl1 models, but this i my guess at the quickest way to do it:

1.) decompile hl:s low-poly model
2.) take reference smd (the one with a mesh) and delete the mesh (leave the bones).
3.) decompile old-format, high-poly BS model
4.) take mesh from reference frame of BS model and paste into HL:S model. Rebind the vertices to the skeleton.
5.) recompile hl:s model with new mesh.

Like I said, I don't know what the Source model compiling process is like. I'm assuming its similar to the old process but with more features and stuff.

Just as a matter of interest, how would you get the models off ps2 disks. Do they even use the same file system?

They models are in a different format (.dol), but I've seen converters around (Jed's Half-Life Model Viewer). Everything is still contained in .pak files though, so they're easy enough to pick through. The biggest problem is that the PS2 models use a LOD system that Half-Life PC can't interpret (Models that don't have LOD (Like the GMAN) work fine in Half-Life; but try getting a Grunt or a Scientists and watch things go boom :)) which would require people to edit those out of the models (They effective work as a seperate set of models, like how the scientists all use the same model and the engine just swaps heads, the PS2 version just swaps out high poly limbs for low poly ones)

Drax said:
No the PS-2 models are even higher in polygon count as the high definition pack, infact I remember seeing a comparison of all three version of one of the scientists (original, high definition, PS2).
No, I said that the WEAPON MODELS are the same as those in the High Definition pack. I say this because they ARE; I've even compared poly counts; they are exactly the same except for where they optimized the PS2 models by removing triangles that were offscreen and wouldn't be seen by the player anyway.

Character models are a different story; but the weapon models are the same as in the HD pack. If you don't believe me, go get a copy of Jed' Half-Life model veiwer and HL: PS2 and check for yourself.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

thund said:
Just as a matter of interest, how would you get the models off ps2 disks. Do they even use the same file system?

Earlier in the thread I posted some web links with the PS2 models on them that you can download and use with normal Half-Life. Ideally those models would be preferable to convert into Half-Life: Source to the Blue Shift ones as the PS2 models (Super Definition) have nice details such as 5 fingers, transparencies etc.

thund said:
I don't know what the Source model compiling process is like. I'm assuming its similar to the old process but with more features and stuff.

We'll all find out next week sometime when the SDK is released. I'm sure there will also be more documentation regarding this as bringing HL1 content over to Source won't be limited to what we have in mind.

I'd like to see some of the H.I.T. models get converted :smoking:

US: My bad, and I do believe you about the weapon models (you've obviously checked this out). When I originaly read it I only picked up "models" not "weapon models" from your sentance.

Everyone else: Just to make clear what I myself am shooting for...

What I want personaly is the highest quality official models in HL:S. I have seen some great user made models and skins for HL but I want what's running on my system to be as "official" as possible.

Also I'm personaly not looking to port any HL2 models into HL:S. I know you can match up a nice collection of models, but I want each game to retain a certain level of character between them.

That's my short term goal, mid term is I want to attempt to import the contents of Half-Life: Uplink into the Half-Life campaign. I even have a good idea of where during the game to do it, and how to pull it off.

If that doesn't proove impossible and I get the hang of things then long term I would love to get Opposing Force and Blue Shift in, assuming it's not some mamoth undertaking. But that's a really super big who the hell knows (probably out of my mind)? at this point. And also assuming Valve themselves don't do it.

If everyone has different goals that's great, but at least we can all share what we discover in how to convert things over in this thread / forum.

Next week :thumbs:

It would be pretty cool to have the expansion pack missions incorporated into the HL1 campaign... very cinematic!

Drax said:
US: My bad, and I do believe you about the weapon models (you've obviously checked this out). When I originaly read it I only picked up "models" not "weapon models" from your sentance.

Everyone else: Just to make clear what I myself am shooting for...

What I want personaly is the highest quality official models in HL:S. I have seen some great user made models and skins for HL but I want what's running on my system to be as "official" as possible.

Also I'm personaly not looking to port any HL2 models into HL:S. I know you can match up a nice collection of models, but I want each game to retain a certain level of character between them.

That's my short term goal, mid term is I want to attempt to import the contents of Half-Life: Uplink into the Half-Life campaign. I even have a good idea of where during the game to do it, and how to pull it off.

If that doesn't proove impossible and I get the hang of things then long term I would love to get Opposing Force and Blue Shift in, assuming it's not some mamoth undertaking. But that's a really super big who the hell knows (probably out of my mind)? at this point. And also assuming Valve themselves don't do it.

If everyone has different goals that's great, but at least we can all share what we discover in how to convert things over in this thread / forum.

Next week :thumbs:

I totaly agree with thiese goals. Mostly due to my bad expreiences with usermade content in games (I play a lot of d3d ports of doom, and finding models and texturepacks that actually retain the spirit and feel of doom are hard to come by)

Mr.Wotsit said:
It would be pretty cool to have the expansion pack missions incorporated into the HL1 campaign... very cinematic!

I was thinking have them as "mods" to HL:S. If you mean have them strung out one after the other that could work, but I would probably go the other route and make each one a seperate "game". Otherwise if you mean intercutting between the three campaigns while you play, there's no way I would do that. A continuous entirely first person campaign is one of the most unique traits of Half-Life.

Yeah, inserting Uplink into Half-Life is an idea I've played around with a bunch of times. Where exactly are you thinking about putting it?

One thing i just though of that would be cool was if security cameras and whatnot, showed areas you play on in the other games (if there are any security camera screens in the game.... cant remember atm)

Yeah! **** Source is more than capable of doing that, seen in HL2. 'Cause before there were cameras in HL1 but they didn't do shiat.

Okay Drax, maybe now that the full SDK is out you can make some progress!

...you didn't say the magic word. ;)

Anyways there's reports of a nasty bug with the SDK that screws up other steam games from running. I'll look into that and if it sounds like it's happening to a number of people I'll wait for a patch before booting it up.

BTW I will be lurking here till I make progress. How long will that be? No idea, but December's a busy month.

Kazuki_Fuse said:
This site has the majority of the important Super Definition models, such as Scientists, Barney Marines Aliens etc.

http://www.sdmodels.cjb.net/

This site has a few edited SD models.

http://halfreplaced.hlgaming.com/

There was a site called Art of War that Gamespy took down that had the majority of the models, including all the PS2 weapon models. So you still might be able to find them on fileplanet if you do a search.
The only site you'll need is:
http://www.hl-improvement.com
That is where all the converted PS2 models came from, register to there Forum and you will get the SD Models!! :LOL:

HL vs HL:Scource:
http://alyx.angsthase.info/

The models from H.I.T are even better than the PS2 one!!
H.I.T converted the PS2 to PC and revised them!!

Bmoore, the creator of this Site, was banned from the H.I.T Forum, so the models on his Site are outdated...

Attachments

• barney_comparsion.png
    barney_comparsion.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 454
  • scientist_comparsion.png
    scientist_comparsion.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 448
Tried to make sense out of some of those links, followed them looking for info on hd models that would work with source, and found myself just getting a headache.

Drax: Pretty please, with sugar on top, continue your work so we can play with HD models.

Thank you. :)

Sincerely, Beazil.

You just can't put a model in that looks like this:

HL.HD.c5a10000.jpg

It's awful! It looks nothing like either G Man from Half Life 1 OR 2. It's honestly a disgrace!

Mr.Wotsit said:
You just can't put a model in that looks like this:

HL.HD.c5a10000.jpg

It's awful! It looks nothing like either G Man from Half Life 1 OR 2. It's honestly a disgrace!
And what's about a model like this:

Attachments

• gman_191.jpg
    gman_191.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 398
  • gmanhl1_2.jpg
    gmanhl1_2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 422
Half-Life 2 models in HL:S do look nice but I want a consistant conversion, meaning everything at the same quality. Now with that you have 1 scientist ported over but what about the black scientist? Have him running around with a missing leg wearing non-work clothes?

Anyways, everyone have a look at post #23 from here (or better yet read all of the posts including the one from the Gearbox guy).
http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?news=1101989454-38284800&page=1

He has the PS-2 models ready to be released, I've been waiting patiently for him to do so but I can't find a way to contact him. If anyone knows anything on this please do post it here. I just got my new video card yesterday and am wondering if I should press on or just wait for this since these models are already completed.

I know i'm sorta reviving a dead topic but,

if you haven't found it yet, I think that the purchase version of the original half life has it. It'll run you ten bucks though. Just remember not to update it after installing it.

At least I THINK. I haven't had hl1 installed for about a half a year or so.

If the PS2 models include that fugly one of the G Man, please please keep them away from Half Life Source.

I believe it would be borderline immoral to keep them in... lol

Mr.Wotsit said:
If the PS2 models include that fugly one of the G Man, please please keep them away from Half Life Source.

I believe it would be borderline immoral to keep them in... lol
picture?

Back