1337 HL2 intro idea

mannyfresh027

Reaction score
i love the HL1 intro, i thought of something like this for HL2

first its black. your vision slowly focuses. your in a hospital bed and nurses rush over to your side. fade back to black.

your eyes open again and through an indoor window you can see the doctor talking to the gman :D the doctor says stuff like "coma blahblah technical doctor stuff" and it fades back to black.

and then a bunch more of that stuff like going into operation and rehab (walking with a walker maybe :D)

then when the intro is over, you're in your hospital room and the gman comes in and gives you your mission :D

no, the doctor should say he's braindead from all the transporting the g-man put him through at the end of hl1 and will be a vegetable for the rest of his life. then, gordon gets up and rips off all the cords and the heart monitor goes flatline so the doctors look over and gordon is fine and dandy... then the g-man gives him the mission and clean clothes

and then in a mod i'm hoping to make (like i really could), he'll rise into the air, be able to stop bullets, and say phrases like, "there is no spoon" "i know kung-fu" and my favorite.... "holy shit"

Originally posted by thehunter1320
and then in a mod i'm hoping to make (like i really could), he'll rise into the air, be able to stop bullets, and say phrases like, "there is no spoon" "i know kung-fu" and my favorite.... "holy shit"

you forgot "Whoa"

If any of that happens, Gman is not gonna give you a mission.
first: the action doesn't start right away, i think there will be an introduction to characters and such. think about it, in hl1 the action doesn't start at the beginning.
if it starts in the hospital then probably the doctor is gonna tell him a little about what hapened to him or something like that, or possibly the doctor will be Alyx's father and they are in a secret hiding place underground or something like that, then he introduces him to alyx and start telling him a little about what they know about the mess that's going on, like the combine and stuff. then they will go to kliner's lab and try to travel in time or dimension or w/e. but then the combine come along (like we saw in the video) so the plan changes!!!!

heheheheheh .. lol. that's probably not how its gonna happen.

Gordon does not have superhuman powers.
If you are pronounced brain dead you will not be getting up and doing anything.
All you might be doing is breathing (with assistance) and getting nutrition through an IV... now that would be a fun game.

There is a difference between being in a coma that you can wake up from and being brain dead.

A coma is just a state of deep, prolonged unconsciousness, usually the result of injury, disease, or poison, in which an individual is incapable of sensing or responding to external stimuli and internal needs. The brain does not stop functioning, it just stops responding to inputs.

Brain dead means your cerebrum and most of the cerebellum aren't functioning... though part of the cerebellum may still function enough to keep the heart beating while on life support.

Doctors have to go through a lot of tests to be able to use the term "Brain Dead".

or maby they made a mistake, i dont know its just a game

They do alot of things like that in movies and games

Originally posted by ultraq
If any of that happens, Gman is not gonna give you a mission.
first: the action doesn't start right away, i think there will be an introduction to characters and such. think about it, in hl1 the action doesn't start at the beginning.
if it starts in the hospital then probably the doctor is gonna tell him a little about what hapened to him or something like that, or possibly the doctor will be Alyx's father and they are in a secret hiding place underground or something like that, then he introduces him to alyx and start telling him a little about what they know about the mess that's going on, like the combine and stuff. then they will go to kliner's lab and try to travel in time or dimension or w/e. but then the combine come along (like we saw in the video) so the plan changes!!!!

heheheheheh .. lol. that's probably not how its gonna happen.
somehow I do not think there is going to be any intro, many reviews revield something about the start.
you just pop right in the action. confused and not knowing where you are, and what is happening.

so my guess is that you will just pop into the game not knowing anything and you have to find it out the hard way (SURVIVAL)

That's the worst intro i've heard yet, damn it would ruin the feeling...you just wake up, and get your mission? omg :p

Nah, Gordon wakes up on the docks.. Looks around, see a couple of zombies and goes like `Oh shit.. Not again..´ then kills them with the crowbar, he gets into town, where Alyx finds him, take him to meet her father and Dr Kleiner, you get some background info and stuff.. and then you get like a misson or something..
The player is doing everything of course, like walking into town..

Oh and, not until he get into town he gets his HEV, he like, woke up from a bad hangover with some dirty clothes and a bad smell of Jack D on the docks :-P

Maybe Half-Life 2 will be like Gunman Chronicles, like when you start a new game, first of you get trough the basic training and so on... after that the real game starts.
Bah, just a guess.

Waking up is so copying off halo. I think he should be riding a train transport through a government prison.

hmm.. according to munro there wont be a intro as I thought.

I think the docks may very well be the starting place, seeing as how that's where the crowbar was...of course, that could have just been a demo.

Waking up copying Halo?
System Shock 2 you wake up (and you're a cyborg...hmm).
That's the only one I can think of but I'm sure there's more.

Here's how I want to see the game start:

You're in the tram with the G-Man. He makes his offer, the door opens and you step through the portal (this may have to be scripted to ensure that players actually go through the portal!). The screen flashes and goes black. You can hear Gordan breathing then indistinct sounds and distant gunfire. The sounds slowly start to resolve themselves and you realize there is a battle going on. Voices start to become clear and you can hear orders being shouted out. Suddenly, a loud explosion close by rocks you out of your daze and you find yourself in the middle of a brutal firefight in the middle of a dilapadated city. One of your comrades notices you and says, "Gordan! Are you O.K.? That was a close one. Looks like it dazed you a little."

You don't know where you are, what the hell is going on, or how long it's been since your conversation with the G-Man. And so it begins.

What if that little bit on the train was in old, HL-style graphics? Lol.

Originally posted by Loke
Maybe Half-Life 2 will be like Gunman Chronicles, like when you start a new game, first of you get trough the basic training and so on... after that the real game starts.
Bah, just a guess.

And....Half Life.

Originally posted by Mr.Magnetichead
And....Half Life.

No, I mean... every time you play GC you must go trough the training course.
It’s not like Half-Life were it was to options, Hazard course and new game.

I think that the player should start in a completely white room, devoid of anything except the player, and a small video camera in the upper corner, out of reach. The player should be led down long white corridors by an audio feed from the gman, but here and there getting glimpses of rooms with sciency stuff going on. The player should come out into a huge white room with a single teleporter in the center. Everything is automated, the player hasn't come into physical contact with anybody yet. The gman says "I think you can handle things from here, gordon..." They player steps into the portal. In a blaze of green lightning, you appear in city 17, all suited up, gun in hand. Up on a catwalk, the gman walks into a teleporter and disappears.

Now I realize that's all pretty bland, but if its done with enough mysterious details, implying that the white room place could have been on xen or some other planet, and fades here and there with random things that don't line up, like hallways that circle around into each other and rooms bigger than their surrounding spaces, maybe a dizziness effect, i dunno.

All in all, I don't think valve should try to outdo their hl1 tram ride. They should go for something entirely different - what, I don't know.

Originally posted by Typhon
What if that little bit on the train was in old, HL-style graphics? Lol.

That would actually be quite funny.

Imagine if you started the game Floating in blackness, with weird stuff going by, like the end of the full length e3 vid or nothing except Gordons breathing. Perhaps you could even hear the last words gman said to you befoer entering the portal in the train at the end of Hl. Then you suddenly drop out of a portal.

Gman is stood there staring at you

"Welcome back....mr Freeman. We've been expecting you.
A lot has changed since you were glone....blah blah blah"

or you drop out with Dr Kleiner stood there.

"Gordon, thank God you made it!"
"We managed to pull you out of the portal at just the right time...."

Or something like that.

Just some of my ideas there.

maybe...

1) you will have to do training, cause all the transport made you weeker, so this will make u do training (and the player get to know how to do all the up ladder, jump, long jump, and all that.)

2) in prison maybe, and it starts off with a cell mate, then some army dudes or something rush in to help u.

3) I soo know there will be an intro, start off for a while with nothing, then the crowbar comes, and pistol, u know...

orrr......

like at the end of hl1, (this is said above, but adding to it) you are in the tram, and he says the EXACT same ending from hl1, and you decide whether to go through the door or not. and when u do, screen black, and enter H..L..2

Originally posted by commando

2) in prison maybe, and it starts off with a cell mate, then some army dudes or something rush in to help u.

Something tells me the army doesn't like you much...something about decimated their elite division...

Maybe it's a bit early to say what you think would make for the best intro, seeing as how we know absolutely nothing about the plot, at all.

This is worse than reading Sailor Moon fanfics. "And then, Gordon could be like 'PMG U SUX0R GMAN! HRHRHR'", etc.

I dont think, and i hope, that the game is not going to have "missions", halflife1 wasn't like that either. In halflife1, you were put in the story, and its one whole mission. If halflife2 is made out of missions...mmm i dont even want to think about it :p

Originally posted by mannyfresh027
i love the HL1 intro, i thought of something like this for HL2

first its black. your vision slowly focuses. your in a hospital bed and nurses rush over to your side. fade back to black.

your eyes open again and through an indoor window you can see the doctor talking to the gman :D the doctor says stuff like "coma blahblah technical doctor stuff" and it fades back to black.

and then a bunch more of that stuff like going into operation and rehab (walking with a walker maybe :D)

then when the intro is over, you're in your hospital room and the gman comes in and gives you your mission :D

thats a little like (for thouse who've played it) the they hunger 3 intro. except the nurses try to kill you.

From the info from valve so far, there will be no elaborate intro this time around. You will "hit your feet running", to quote valve. Valve also said, you will not know what happened between hl1 and hl2. You will find that out during the course of the game.

I personally like it that way, imagine seeing striders and people screaming and running away from them just when you start the game, and having to haul ur ass out of the way to survive in just the first few secs. That would be a shocking start.

i just came up with this intro because:

a) as far as i know, gordon was in a coma
b) gordon works for gman, so id assume gman can give him missions :D

nice thinking, i reckon if there is an intro again, that it will be something like that

hmmm maybe valve really won't put am intro like one person said before maybe you realy will just start off runnin, and then at one point or another after alot of running you'll run into a few friends maybe.

Yeah, I thought of the They Hunger 3 intro too the moment I read that... except without zombies. Sounds alright.

I think I'd like to see some sort of reference to the first game too... darkness, G-man saying "time... to choose", and the last thing you hear before the actual intro (or straight into action scene) is "nicely done, Mr. Freeman... I will see you up ahead."

Still, I keep wondering if you'll have a chance to take a tram through City 17 amidst an enormous urban war... :cool:

HL1's intro seemed a lot like a movie (with the credit names and stuff)

It would rock if the game started out in a big action scene, then it calmed down for a second and started playing the credits :D

Originally posted by krarg
Maybe it's a bit early to say what you think would make for the best intro, seeing as how we know absolutely nothing about the plot, at all.
Oh come on... We've been waiting for this for nigh-on five years so we've all contemplated where the story would pick up from and where it would go. Therefore we've ALL decided on what we'd like the intro to be like... And as a matter of fact, the intro needn't have the hugest bearing on the plot.
Personally I think the G-Man's: "We've been rather busy in your absence, Mr. Freeman..." line is particularly important to the intro. He'll be there, 'm almost positive of that.
Although, starting on the tram again with him offering you option a (employment) or option b (Big Death) would be nice. But it's not gonna happen.

Also, does anyone reckon that the ending'll be similar to the intro like in HL1 and OpFor? I think the "Well well, isn't this just like... Old times." Is a line.
And yes, I'm fully aware of how anally mundane that sounds.

Back